All Topics / Help Needed! / Brisbane Suburb-need some info

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Hi!
    Am exploring the idea of selling up in Sydney and wondering whether i could semi retire in Brisbane. (am sick of working for the bank and contributing to their fat profits!!)

Is it possible to find a suburb in Brisbane that is:

a) less than 45 minutes to the CBD?
    b) about 300K – 400K for a nice 4 Bedroom house on a minimum 800 Sqm block ?

c) most important near good schools (very GOOD public high schools with great HSC results; am saving the private school fees to put down a deposit for the kids’ property investment????!!!!) At present i reckon i stay in an area of Sydney with the best public schools in the whole of NSW; glad to share info if anyone is interested!

Would appreciate if anyone out there could provide names of 2-3 suburbs and names of schools

Cheers!

lee

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

a) Most of Brisbane is within 45 minutes from the CBD. I’m 25-30 minutes out myself, with areas like Browns Plains and even Park Ridge to the south even just within the 45 minutes travel time bit. Unless of course talking public transport which sucks a bit.

b) 300-400k would get you a nice place in many suburbs, the size of 800m2 may be a bit of an issue. Unfortunately one of the best suited to the other two criteria is just out of this range in price. I will answer the suburbs with good schools to my knowledge in later one.

c) From the information I was given MacGregor SHS was an excellent place to send the offspring too. This was the one that seemed to be out of your price range though and from memory it was fairly hard to get into that school. Another good State High School was apparently Jindalee, not too far from the city itself and again just outside of your criteria (more since you require 800m2).

Follwing an article recently on the more affluent suburbs having little difference in education levels of students in private and public schools, but were far better than those from poorer areas it might be best too do a search on the affluent suburbs within Brisbane. Jindalee would be it, the same would probably go for the suburb north of Jindalee (and on the other side of the river) Kenmore and Chappell Hill areas. These are to the west of the CBD. MacGregor is more south-south-east of the CBD in an area including Mt Gravatt. I’m not so knowledgable on the north side though.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Lee

Try Bellbowrie in the West which is nice.
    We have just subdivided 2 separate properties which purchased for around $320,000 each and they where on 2400 sq M and 2600 Sq M.

We have sold the front house off and separately and just completed construction on the back 2 blocks.

Still purchase a nice 4 bedroom house on 1200 SqM for around $350,00 with pool. Around 35 minutes away from the CBD. Can’t tell you about schools but Ipswich Grammer is only over the Moggill Ferry if your want to go private.

Sorry my boys go to BBC so can’t help you that far out.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

45 minutes to cbd, oh,yeah stdney time, you will find what you need sub 15ks cbd in 4 weeks of looking, i’m a finance broker, i attend 4-5 auctions a weekend, and my clients are settling properties in this bracket all of the time.

however, 800sqm, look, if you want a farm you may need to look a bit further west.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of PHILandGEN98PHILandGEN98
    @philandgen98

Hi,

Just agreeing with the other reply’s, most of the suburbs could be around 30-50min from the city centre, but this is depending on the traffic.

The north side of the city is quieter and in my opinion greener, but there is less in the way of commercial and industrial growth. Also less new residential developments. This relates to a quieter, leafier feel to most of the suburbs. i am in Samford, and I can be in the city centre, off peak, in 25min, and 50 min peak. I live on 6 acres and its very quiet. Other N/S areas in that price bracket could include Mitchelton, Ferny Hills and The Gap.

The southside is growing rapidly, with the distance between the outer city suburbs and the Gold Coast getting smaller every year. Some south side suburbs, quite a distance from the city, can reach prices very close to city prices.

The east side is towards the coast, and because of the limited growth available, prices are growing rapidly. Older areas coming into fashion again see prices rise.

Probably the best way is to fly up for the weekend and drive around. Flights are cheap. Help get a feel for the area.

Hope this was of help.

Phil

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

HI iwsctws

I’ll just pop some modest answers into the body of you post.

Is it possible to find a suburb in Brisbane that is:

a) less than 45 minutes to the CBD?

yes, any suburb considered within the metro area meets this criteria

b) about 300K – 400K for a nice 4 Bedroom house on a minimum 800 Sqm block ?

800sqm, NO, hey, a quick answer is a good answer, otherwise doable

c) most important near good schools (very GOOD public high schools with great HSC results; am saving the private school fees to put down a deposit for the kids’ property investment????!!!!) At present i reckon i stay in an area of Sydney with the best public schools in the whole of NSW; glad to share info if anyone is interested!

Your call, a good school to me may not be a good school to you. Sorry no holding hands.

Would appreciate if anyone out there could provide names of 2-3 suburbs and names of schools

St Too good too true & St Must be Too Good Too Bee Truuuee

for goodness sake, hop on a plane, shout me a coffee and I’ll give you the low down, what do you expect off the net.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Salacious/DAAJ – this is a personal advertisement for your property and as such, I’m deleting it.

kay henry

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Then can their be a section for this????????????????
    as previously aked several times)

Dom[biggrin]

Profile photo of ezy.home.loans23320ezy.home.loans23320
    @ezy.home.loans23320

Hi I live on the north side and in my opinion biased ,as it is I think the north side is by far the best side…
    I live in Eatons Hill 20/25 min from the city of course this depends on the traffic 20min if I am in a hurry…
    the prices are in your Ball park..good price nice size blocks.
    Good school, depending on what you call good is your child into learning or sport…
    Nudgee college is great for all ,it is a private catholic school,10 mins away.Wavell is good for football ,hockey.
    other school’s are also pretty good depending on again the child, they tend to find their feet
    pretty quick. there is industry 5 min down the road in strathpine also an area you can pick up good price houses although not quite as good socialy thats my opinion I have friends who live there and love it. me I am a bit of a snob
    [rolleyes5][rolleyes4],[rolleyes5]castle dine is a bit more pricey but Very Nice 5 min from eatons Hill .sunshine coast is an hour away. gold coast 1 1/2 hrs away , give me an email and I can put you intouch with a local real estate agent.I would be happy to help[daisy] its EZY[buz2]

Profile photo of madhunmadhun
    @madhun

c) From the information I was given MacGregor SHS was an excellent place to send the offspring too. This was the one that seemed to be out of your price range though and from memory it was fairly hard to get into that school. Another good State High School was apparently Jindalee, not too far from the city itself and again just outside of your criteria (more since you require 800m2).

You could send your children here if you want some drug dealers or prostitutes in the family.
    (disclaimer: i’m sure your kids are smart sensible children and wouldn’t be involved in that sort of jazz)

The State school system in QLD is really quite atrocious. The only state school i would consider sending my children too, is a local Sunshine coast school Mountain Crekk High School, mainly becuase the Headmaster runs it like a private school. For what it’s worth i bin resumes from the three other local state high schools.

State High is about the only reputable state school in Brisbane. Unless your children were infants you’d be hard pressed to get them into a GPS school, unless the were transferring from a similar Sydney School.

As for the property I agree with what every one else has said.

You would find the property you require in the Southern or Northern suburbs, you’d be hard pressed to find any house, much less one with 800m2, in the eastern or western (indooroopilly and beyond) suburbs in that price range.

In fact i’d advise to move to the sunshine coast, where that is still possible.

There are a number of cheaper private schools, and the commute is only 1hr to the CBD outside of peak times. And if you want to send you kids to a good state school (there are many reputable primary state schools) all you need do is purchase a house in the zone.

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

everyone has their favourite place to live in Brisbane and mine is Sandgate/shorcliffe (where I live of course) Tis on the beach and northside. It is outter northside suburb. Tis a bit like a country town here which suits me as i hate the city. Close to Gateway highway which willtake you to Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast in an hour.

Madhun I kick you up the bum for your snobbish opinion about the public schools. Schools reflect the community where they are located. Don’t forget the more expensive the school fees, the more variety of drugs you have available.

Ezy mentioned Wavell Heights. This is a public high school with a great academic and sporting records. The Gap also has a fine reputation. The Gap and Wavell heights are both lovely well established areas and not far from city. Praps if the bulk of govt funding hadnt gone to the prvt schools….er but I digress. Sorry guys. pick the school teacher!

Lee goodluck in your search. Oh and bring all your friends too. I want to see my houses continue to grow in value. [thumbsupanim]

milly

Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Thanks for all the replies folks; now i know the east of Brisbane is out of my price range and that i should concentrate on the north and south. That narrows my search a lot! i probably need a minimum 800 sqm lot tho as am prsent on a quarter of an acre 40 min to the city.

Just one last question about schools….which is the best comprehensive state school (in terms of HSC results) in Brisbane??? (and don’t tell me none of you knows!!!)

Cheers! and thanks a lot again !

lee

@madhun
    Originally posted by iwsctws:

Thanks for all the replies folks; now i know the east of Brisbane is out of my price range and that i should concentrate on the north and south. That narrows my search a lot! i probably need a minimum 800 sqm lot tho as am prsent on a quarter of an acre 40 min to the city.

Just one last question about schools….which is the best comprehensive state school (in terms of HSC results) in Brisbane??? (and don’t tell me none of you knows!!!)

Cheers! and thanks a lot again !

lee

You will get opinionated results asking that question. I doubt many queenslanders would care about which school is best, because unless they can afford to book their children in at birth to a private school and then pay a kings ransom to keep them there, there is bugger all they can do, besides moving within the zone of the best school, to affect which school their child attends.

I’m sure if you looked up Queensland Educations Website you would discover which school has the best academic results.

Incedentally we don’t have HSC, it’s QCS which i guess is loosley the same.

@madhun

That’d be incidently too.

Good to see my high $ edumaction was a complete waste of funds.

Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Thanks Madhun,

Frankly am surprised to hear your answer; as it seems to imply that Brisbane’s public schools are not worth exploring at all. This is so unlike Sydney, where if you lived in the right area, the public high schools are very good!

And i thot that it was a simple question as it would help to narrow the choice of suburbs i will be looking at…

Anyone out there; which is the best comprehensive state school in Brisbane???

lee

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Baaaa humbug and poppycock, you guys are missing an area where there is a high propertion of great size blocks and only 40 mins to CBD.Thats Ipswich area, which is only now reaching the early $200k level for this style of house. I just sold one in Eastern heights a few months ago for $185k near great schools, it was 800 sqm, was close to a bus stop and literally 5 mins to shopping in Ipswich CBD which in 10-15 years will be their Parramatta.

The suburbs of Deebing Heights and Flinders View are just south of Yamanto just below Ipswich and these two subs are selling brand new house and land packages for $395-435k now. Its in Brand new estates with super access to the city on the centennary freeway extension happening NOW!!! Its a bit to the left of Forrest Lake and the Greg Norman designed Golf Course and man made lakes estates near there. Cap Growth there is super dooper potential as the Ipswich Council 2021 plan(of which I have a full copy SHHHH!) shows a massive growth of jobs, infrastructure and services planned for this yummy new area.

Tell these others to think outside the square a bit next time.

Happy to help

DD

Boy do I know IPPY!!!!

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@milly

Hiya DD
    I agree with you about the growing potential of ipswich. I have 2 houses there. I love the area cos its full of unrenovated queenslanders. But Lee isn’t looking for an IP. She is looking for a place to live.

Sheesh have you lived in Ipswich? It’s sooo hot an dry in summer and freezing in Winter. The crime rate is very high. This will be a major consideration for Lee. She has childrent at school now. She wants a safe environment and good public schools. She doesnt want to send her 10yr old to the shop for bread and have him set alight for $3.

The area WiLL change. Those who want to build their brand new home at some boring Logan estate will do so. Those who want an untouched queenslander to renovate and to live in a town with old world charm will do so. Remember the colonial houses will always maintain and increase in value. i love ipswich.[biggrin]
    milly

@milly

Lee
    I was thinking how different priorites are for people. You want to buy an investment property to assist the kids for their own deposit on a house.
    I got into property investment to be able to pay for my kids education. er…i hope madhun isnt reading this. He will call me the hypocrit.[blush2] But tis really just the local catholic college.

Incidently there is no area zoning for public schools in this state. However wehn a school is full, it is deemed ‘capped’ and you would join a queu. Priority given to local kids of kids

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Milly my investments are in 2 x Booval, 2 x Bundamba, 1 x Redbank Plains, 1 x Eastern Heights I just sold, 2 x One Mile, 1 x Leichhart and 1 x Rosewood. Yes I’m up there and know the subs to avoid and ones to feel safe in. Booval has the best private and public schools in the area, is close to Booval Fair, and I just sold my 2 on 1 title there for $78k more than I bought it for Jan last year.

When you think about the area you have the stigma in your mind that Mt Druitt in Sydney had even 5 years ago. You cant buy a new Unit there now for under $280K and that usually wedges out the undesirables quite a bit. The area is improving now, and will continue to for the next 15 years.

The River redevelopement in Ippy stage 1 is $6.5m
    First ever multi dwelling apartment bluck in the CBD is breaking ground soon.(not allowed to tell you the site). New Olympic pool at Goodna, $22m shopping centre revamp at Redbank Plains. $8.3m goodna to RPlains road expansion, new jobs at the new pulp mill/expansion of the abatois(cant ever spell that), new aluminium smelter/new 40 hectare powerstation/5000 student Uni campus at Springfield/ business park deveopement there too.

Shall I go on. I really know whats on there and who to talk to to keep in touch. I shouldnt reveal this to everyone but this is only a snipet of what I know of the area and I personally was there 2 weeks ago(changing managing agents but thats another story), so please allow me to have an opinion thats not hounded too much as it does sting.

DD, yeah I know its small stuff…..doh!

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@milly

DD…..”so please allow me to have an opinion thats not hounded too much as it does sting.”

sorry for hounding.
    Milly is chastened.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.