All Topics / Help Needed! / LOC and interest deduction

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of hoarelhoarel
    Participant
    @hoarel

Hi All,

We are considering putting on a pergola for a tenant who would be happy with a $10 increase in rent a week. My question is about how to set this up.

We have the cash to pay for this, but I was wondering if I would be better off to setup a LOC on my ppor and then use the LOC to pay for the pergola. Would the interest on the LOC then be tax deductable?

Has anyone done this before or now if I could claim a tax deduction. I do realise this is a capital improvement so would only be able to depreciate the cost, but if the cost came from a LOC can I claim the interest on the LOC aswell

Thanks

Luke…

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Hi Luke,

Yes, both interest on the LOC for the amount of the improvements and the depreciation are deductible. Assuming of course your best option is to borrow the funds in the first place.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Luke,

A pergola would be deemed as an improvement, so it is claimable only to the extent that depreciation laws allow. The full cost I would suspect is in excess of the low-pool value threshold (although I may be mistaken), so would not be fully deductible in the current financial year.

James

Profile photo of hoarelhoarel
    Participant
    @hoarel

Hi Ibuycashflow,

I do have the cash to pay for the pergola fully. I thought if I could do it, it would be more wise to pay some money of my ppor (not deductable) and then redraw via a LOC and then claim the interest. The one thing I wasn’t sure of was when using money from my LOC for a capital expenditure if I could claim the interest as a deduction

Thanks for your help

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Yes – I believe you can. Thats what i do. The purpose of borrowing the money for the pergola is for income producing purposes so therefore, in my opinion, its tax deductible.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I would pay it into my PPOR and redraw it for the pergola. Ensure it is shown on a split.

Or use a LOC if you prefer.

As always seek advice from a professional.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Luke, excellent advice from Simon if you have a PPOR loan. That way you would be turning some non deductible (PPOR debt) into deductible (pergola debt) expenses.

If you don’t have a PPOR loan, it’s up to you how you want to do it!

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

I did the same with an airconditioner for a house in Redbank plains I own, used LOC to pay for it, depreciate it nicely, claim interest and got $10.00/wk from tenant.

I also wholesale aircons now to investors witha 5 year warranty on the compressors. Any interest let me know.

DD

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.