All Topics / General Property / Multiplication By Division

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hmmmm,
    Great article…but how realistic is it to buy a property for $40k and have it increase 100% in 12 months, and then go back a buy two more at $40k each ?
    Surely if your $40k property has gone up to $80k then all similar properties would have done the same ?
    Don’t get me wrong, I am not knocking what is being said, just querying the realism of it .
    Incidentally I thought multiplication by Division was the process of multiplying profits(or equity) by subdividing property. ie.. but sinle resident on a block zoned duplex.Its what I have been doing, and I don’t know why, but 2x half blocks are always worth more than the 1x full block.It seems to be a quicker way to build wealth (ie ramp up the equity or extract more value from the land)then waiting for property values to increase, even when the market is roaring along.Advantage as I see it is that you have one property, turn it into two, and then have more choices avail to you (ie sell 1 keep 1, reduce debt in the process and take some profit, as well as ending up with a NEW property = less maintenance max depreciation, etc)Downside is that you have holding cost during the subdivision/construction process and no income…

Cheers, KP

Profile photo of xxxxxx
    @xxx
    Originally posted by kp:

Hmmmm,
    Great article…but how realistic is it to buy a property for $40k and have it increase 100% in 12 months, and then go back a buy two more at $40k each ?

It’s VERY unrealistic, especially now that you’ll be seeing a correction in these cheap country properties within the next 2 years.

The “11 second solution” is a 10.4% gross yield and is simply a yardstick. Obviously if interest rates rise, it will need to be reviewed.

Do a search on this site and you’ll get a lot of hits… it’s been done to death.

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

visit http://www.propertyinvesting.com/11secondsolution

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by xxx:

Originally posted by kp:

Hmmmm,

It’s VERY unrealistic, especially now that you’ll be seeing a correction in these cheap country properties within the next 2 years.

It may not be very realistic to expect this sort of return now, but it really did happen to a lot of properties a few years ago.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of xxxxxx
    @xxx

[/quote]
    It may not be very realistic to expect this sort of return now, but it really did happen to a lot of properties a few years ago.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]
    [/quote]

I agree, and i think it’s because we’ve seen huge increases in property prices which some have referred to as a “property boom”.

Anyone who bought property between 1998 – 2002 has seen a huge increase in their property’s value.

Apart from Australia, it also happened in the USA, UK and most of Europe.

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Yes I agree, I know it did happen….anyone with a toe in the market at the time would have known it was happening. And if you sold, then the money in the bank would have confirmed that it was real.

Terry: if this correction occurs in the next two yrs, what do you think will cause it, eg rising interest rates, distreessed property holder havinbg to sell, vacant rentals, simple correction because prices have overrun the market, ?
    I am really curious to know what triggers these changes.

One thing that does concern me is the social cost of all these savvy city investors targetting these regional centres, snapping up all the property with their greater buying power and creative financing methods,which in turn keeps the locals out of the buying market and forces them to be renters.

I am not against the legitimacy of it, indeed in a free market and capitalist system, this is what you are supposed to do to get ahead.
    But is there a social cost to this, and a backlash coming ?

I understand this is a global phenomenon ( UK and OZ investors descending on NZ for example) and not just occuring with Aus, but what will be the fallout from all this ?

Also, what will be the effect on all these positive geared investors if interest rates rise to ~10% in 2007-07 as seems to be predicted widely ? Is this the 2 yr. window you speak of ?

Artticle in the local paoer by Alan Kohler explaining that 20% of Australias home loans have been turned into bonds and sold on the global market at yiels of 5.65 to 5.8 % He then predicts that US rates are about to rise, possibly steeply which impacts on this 20% which could lead to a housing credit squeeze and a big fall in property prices (??)
    He concludes that global rates are about to go up and it is irrelevant to the Australian property market whether Australian rates go up or not, as the fate of our property market is not in our hands or in the reserve banks hands.

Time to cash up and sit on the sidelines ?

Cheers…KP

Profile photo of Sean NewcombeSean Newcombe
    @sean-newcombe

Sorry, I am new and clueless…but where are these $40 000 properties and can I have all of them?

Profile photo of CASCAS
    Participant
    @cas

Hi
    I am new, (wish I had joined when I first bought Steve’s book) I echo what someone else posted where can you find an house for $40,000 or was that the “good old day’s”.

I have an investment property on the gold coast was neg geared, now positive ( had it 5 years) although I have been searching I haven’t been able to find any localities that would appear to generate a positive cash flow, does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

Cas

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi cas

those properties can still be found in New Zealand, but you need to look hard and in towns smaller about 5000 people.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Profile photo of LopezLopez
    @lopez

I have just moved to Alice Springs for a 2 year work contract, and am wondering whether it is best to buy or rent the house we will live in. What will this decision do to my intention of building up a portfolio of properties? The houses I am looking at cost $350/$400 per week to rent, and to purchase cost around $350K plus Stamp Duty of around $15K. Deposit would be $22K with a loan of $334K repayments $515 pw over 30 years. I own one house in Sydney which is currently rented out at $310 per week and providing positive cashflow of $30 per week or $150 depending on whether I pay principal and interest or interest only.

Profile photo of JoeCoolJoeCool
    @joecool

Hi Steve,

just joined yesterday this geat site and got your newletter.

I read about your multiplication by division strategy and thefirst thing that came to my mind is the same question a few other since then have posted and that is How can you expect to find $40k prop that has gone upi to $80 for $40 again !!

I would be very interested to get some live example you have done including the location were you managed to do this.

Thanks

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Change location and / or the type of properties you are buying.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by SteveMcKnight:

Change location and / or the type of properties you are buying.

Sorry Steve, but THAT’S the best you can offer???[blink]

There are people in this forum who have (repeatedly) asked for answers because it appears your +CF strategy is weakened in the Oz market, and this is the best you can do to answer (without giving away trade secrets of course) come on….pretty lame wouldn’t you say??!![eh]

Me personally, I couldn’t care one way or the other, but there alot of people here who have (in the short time I have been here) hung onto your every word; and in all fairness if it wasn’t for some of these dedicated men/women, you wouldn’t have a forum, and hence, I feel you owe them something a bit more insightful than mere sweeping generalisations!!![glum]

Jo

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Mono,

Relax :-> Life’s too short for stress :)

Steve started his property journey at the start of an extended boom in property. Like many of us he is yet to deal with a sustained downturn in property, or property in a recession. I know you are an experienced property person Mono and have your own insights.

Steve exhibited admirable courage imo in the way he was prepared to make a change to his life and be creative with his investing solutions. Whether his messages and insights are less valid at the moment I’m not smart enough to judge. I know that smart investors make money in our society when change happens, whatever that change is.

I had the opportunity to talk to the smartest agent I have ever met (met a few as well) yesterday. He had some very interesting views on the economy, property and the property cycle. This family have been through 5! property cycles and are experienced enough to remember how property in Australia behaved pre 1950.. Something I’m yet to see any property presenter EVER talk about!

Here’s a personal observation: The biggest investors don’t spend their time on internet forums! They are too busy investing and making money :)

WaySolid

“Write the wrongs that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on marble.” Arab proverb

@monopoly

Me stressing???? No way Way!!!! [biggrin]

I just think that the lesser informed forumities; the ones who rely on a straight answer, should expect to get one, especially from one they look up to. Is that wrong???

As for serious investor being too busy with forums, and constantly investing/searching for/doing deals; from my experience, NOT NECESSARILY SO!!!

BTW, I too have seen/been investing through 4 cycles (can’t lay claims to 5 as I wasn’t around in the 50’s)!!! Oh well, that’s just my 2c worth!!!

Cheers,

Jo

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

What can I say?

It may have been a simple answer, but it’s the best one I’ve got.

When prices in one area get too high, move to another.

For example, DB and I moved from Ballarat to the La Trobe Valley, then to Tassie etc. etc. as prices increased.

When one class of property stops working, change to another.

For example, DB and I have moved from homes to duplexes to units to blocks of units to commercial property and back to houses again.

When someone says it’s can’t be done… don’t believe them before having a go yourself. At the end of the day you just have to do whatever works according to your strategy.

Sorry if this seems to basic – but that’s just the way it is.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

I think that was a bit more insightful – thanks Steve!

Don’t think I’ll beable to move around so much though…

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Hi all,
    I suppose from Steve’s perspective information is money and giving it away freely (that is absolutely no monetary or advertisement benefit etc) may not be something that he is interested in doing.

I have noticed that often some of the answers are pretty / very light. I think it also comes down to time management as well. What should you spend more of your time on? The things that will make you the most money and maybe that doesn’t include answering forum questions

This forum is a very good example of time leverage
    i.e. leveraging other peoples time.

This may all sound a little harsh to some, but the reality is that this is a business and Steve is running a business and we are potential customers.

I not sure Steve owes us anything. However, I think (my opinion only) that authors of books do have some sort of responsibility to explain themselves at some level. Many may not agree with this.

Even though this is a business there are people who have put allot of trust and faith in what has been written, clarification and on some occasion expansion should be given freely in my opinion.

MarkyMark

@monopoly

Well said Steve, [thumbsupanim]

That is the kind of answer I would have expected from you in the first place!!!

MarkyMark,

I do agree with you in that Steve should not be giving away too much information, after all, it is in his financial best interest to keep some things within the confines of his seminars and books. [sealed] I am also in agreeance, that Steve doesn’t OWE anyone anything per se, however the loyality they (and I do not include myself in this reference) have demonstrated by attending his seminars, buying his books, and contributing to this forum, should IMO be acknowledged even if it is with nothing more than old fashioned common courtesy!! I don’t believe that is too much to ask and certainly doesn’t require giving away revenue generating “trade secrets” (as I like to call them)!!!

I am sure Steve’s followers will appreciate his latter response, and take heed of his advice towards achieving their goals!!!

Cheers, [biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

We are pretty well saying the same thing Monopoly. I completely agree with what you are saying. When I first came onto this forum I sort of thought that Steve would be much more active than what he is, and I thought that he would contribute more detailed information in response to questions. But then I suppose I realised that that is not what actually happens, and I formed my own ideas as to why.

Thank fully all of the information about property investing no matter what your strategy is, is all over the net, in books everywhere and in many cases completely free (I don’t disagree with paying for information though).

I have seen the information that Steve teaches repeated multiple times and in detail in many older sources of information. Likewise, with many of the other strategies. I’m sure you have as well.

As I am sure most would agree, the very existence of this forum is extremely valuable.

Cheers,

MarkyMark

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.