All Topics / General Property / Cost of Depreciation Schedule?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of Adam.EAdam.E
    Participant
    @adam.e

Hi everyone,

Could some one please tell me the average price of a depreciation schedule in QLD (Cairns)? I was hoping to get one before my tenants move in on Saturday..

Thanks!
    Adam.

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

i have done a QS report for units in canberra and in darwin, both have cost me about 420 dollars each (using different Qunatity Surveyor companies.)
    in saying that a friend needed a QS report in albury and as there was only two business’s who do it in that area wanted 900 dollars plus expenses!.
    as the unit was fairly old (pre 80’s) he didnt bother going through with it.
    ring around and get plenty of quotes
    hope this is some help
    shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Adam,

I have one being done for me now on the Gold Coast for $300 + GST. Firm is Napier Blakeley.

James

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Adam, I can tell you the exact price of a Tax Depreciation Schedule in Cairns – $715 GST inc.

That’s the same price we charge for Canberra, Darwin and Albury (+ loads of other places).

Can you get cheaper schedules? Yep. I see them all the time. Will they pass scrutiny by the ATO? Not always.

As for an inspection this week, you’re pushing it. Best act quickly.

Scott – 1300 660033

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by depreciator:

Adam, I can tell you the exact price of a Tax Depreciation Schedule in Cairns – $715 GST inc.

That’s the same price we charge for Canberra, Darwin and Albury (+ loads of other places).

Can you get cheaper schedules? Yep. I see them all the time. Will they pass scrutiny by the ATO? Not always.

As for an inspection this week, you’re pushing it. Best act quickly.

Scott – 1300 660033

So your schedules are guaranteed to pass ATO scrutiny??

Just curious that a 100-150% price difference would have to have some sought of attached guarantee, if it is a better product….

Profile photo of JimboJamesJimboJames
    @jimbojames

Companies in Sydney are offering to do a schedule for me for around $6-700. Oddly enough, one of them has a standard disclaimer at the start of their report stating something along the lines of “this schedule is not to be used for tax purposes” or “has not been prepared for tax purposes”.

@depreciator

4 things:

1. I forgot to mention we give a discount to members of this forum – $660 instead of $715. Just mention ‘Scott said it was okay’ to whoever answers the phone.

2. James, that $300 price from Napiers would be for a unit and they would have been the QS on that building project. For them to generate a report, they wouldn’t have to leave the office, just press a few buttons. It’s called a ‘repeat’. Out of curiosity, I recently got a quote from Napiers for a unit in Narrabeen, Sydney, and the price was $1,100+GST.

3. SuperTed. No Quantity Surveyor can give that guarantee. Part of the problem is that there are so many grey areas in depreciation. The best way to ensure a report passes ATO scrutiny is to be up to date with the ever shifting ATO rules. We are on the phone to them every day. I’ve met informally with one of their staff and asked them what they look for when they audit a schedule (so I can pick a crook one as quickly as they can). I have a ‘compliance’ person here who monitors ATO Interpretative Decisions etc. We use external consultant tax accountants to run our stance on issues past. We’re also the depreciation provider for the Count Wealth Group, Ray White Group and Century 21. Count Wealth is a publically listed group of 600 accountants/planners. As you can appreciate, they did a fair bit of due diligence on us and our report. Last month I spoke at their National Conference in Canberra. Our product and service is also better than any other company (though admittedly with the QS industry the service bar is set very low). Remember, most QSs do tax work part time. Oh, there are many places where we are cheaper than anyone else e.g. Albury.

4. Jimbo James. That sounds like an odd disclaimer. We tell people that our report does not constitute ‘advice’. Remember, when you take delivery of a Tax Depreciation Schedule and use it, you assume responsibility for it . Similarly, when you sign your tax return prepared by your accountant you assume responsibility for it. You are the ATO’s client, not your accountant or your Quantity Surveyor.

In short, I’ve always said there are cheaper reports out there in some markets. We do hundreds every month all over Australia and I don’t compete on price. If somebody wants to save a couple of hundred tax deductible dollars and end up with a sub standard report that an accountant will have to fix, that’s their decision.

Happy tax season, everyone.

Scott

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Thanks for all your helpfull posts re Depreciation Scott..Very helpfull[thumbsupanim][biggrin]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@depreciator

Thanks Redwing (and Derek). Always happy to provide information. I’m learning a fair bit about things other than depreciation in visiting this site.

Scott

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.