All Topics / Legal & Accounting / i need a pre-payment solution..help please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of bannerbanner
    Participant
    @banner

I sold my investment property about six months ago and my husband and I will now be up for about $20K CGT altogether. My accountant thought that I could borrow again for a managed fund and pre-pay a years payments to bring down the CGT. Unfortunately, my line of credit (which has a nil balance at the moment) does not allow for prepayments and if I exit I’ll be up for $3000 in fees. Any creative (and legal) solutions out there? Help is needed as the financial yr draws close.
    [blink]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think you can get margin loans to buy shares etc and pre pay the interest. Have a look at etrade.

Also have a look at those capital guarranteed share schemes which enable you to borrow 100% of the share value without the risk of the values going down. These have rates of around 15% so should give you a nice deduction. Comsec, ANZ and Macquarie offer them.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of bannerbanner
    Participant
    @banner

Thanks Terryw, I’ve emailed your response to my accountant to see what she thinks. [exhappy]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

banner, I’m guessing that you have sold your one and only IP?

Were you looking at buying any more in the near future? I suppose a month isn’t much, but perhaps you could buy a new one now and prepay the interest on that?

Or you could always buy a couple in the ACT, sign contracts now, and pay stamp duty before 30 June, claiming the stamp duty on your tax? It’s a beautiful thing, cos of the stamp duty in ACT I paid no tax last year, and have enough ‘loss’ to carry forward so I will pay no tax this year, even though I’ve got a fair whack of CG that I have realised!!![biggrin]

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.