All Topics / Opinionated! / Definition of Success

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Agreed.
    The question posed to the panel on the SBS program was, if Status is a measure of success.
    I said it is not and gave my opinion.
    Mr Rogue here seems to think that by giving my opinion and despite clearly stating that it is only my opinion, I imply I am right you are wrong.
    [baaa]

Perhaps you want to tell us if you think status is a good measure of success.
    Alternatively, if you prefer, to answer what do you think is success, this last one being purely subjective.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

The definition of success???

IMO….

When you are can sit (or stand) back and look at what you have achieved and be proud of yourself; whether it be on a personal or financial level.

As the question is subjective, there cannot be a right or wrong answer; it will vary from person to person.

Either way, whatever you view success to be, wherever possible, try to enjoy the journey along the way! See you there!!!! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

YES, enjoy the journey.
    It is the journey that counts not the level of the step one arrives at.
    And what about status?

Marc

@monopoly

Okay…..that’s cool.

As long as you are happy with what you have achieved, irrespective of whether it is on personal, financial or status level.

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Marc- interesting question abour status…

Let me preempt with this from Desiderata…

“If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.”

From Max Ermann, Desiderata, 1952:
    http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/desiderata.html

When I was young, I did a sociology degree, and we studied status a lot, and I then taught about it, many years later. Really, status is a comparison thing. It’s very much a “Jones’s” concept- about keeping up with them, or beating them or whatever.

On a grander scale, it’s probably what kept nuclear arsenal climbing- the americans and Russia were keeping up with the Jones’s- each other.

I think if one compares oneself with others, one wil always be unhappy- it’s true what Desiderata says- there will always be those with less or more. One the sociological side, it’s important for me to know that there are so many in the world who have nothing- it means I can try and fight for equality for all. It doesn’t make me feel great to know I have IP’s when so many in the world have no clean water.

kay henry

Participant
    @1winner

Yes, agreed again.
    So do you think that Status is a true mesure of success or not?

Marc

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Marc,

As you may have (or may not have, as it seems) picked up from my earlier post on this thread, I don’t believe in either “success” as a concept, and I think status is a sad concept too. For me, it’s just about living with integrity and authenticity (that’s the “success” part), and I think status is just a comparison with others- and I think that’s useless.

In monetary terms, some people will seek both status and success. But I don’t see either of them as valid- to MY life. But for those who want them both- keep climbing! [biggrin] and best of luck to you!

kay henry

Participant
    @1winner

Mm… I hear you loud and clear my friend, yet no one seems to answer the question.

Perhaps I should illustrate.

Mr X wins the big brother “contest”. He acquires status and products endorsement comes his way.
    Is this status a measure of success?

A philanthropist dedicates his life to the public health of disadvantaged communities but when his quest remains in obscurity, he acquires status by rebuking publicly political figures. Is his status a measure of success?

Marc

@monopoly

Marc,

To answer your question re these two people’s success in achieving “status”, IMO Mr X has not been successful, whereas the philanthropist, due to his good deeds in helping so many, definitely has. But that is only MY opinion; they themselves may feel otherwise. And at the end of the day, as long as they feel as though they have been heard; they have achieved “recognition” then yes, they have been successful.

It depends on how THEY perceive their efforts, not how I perceive either (a) their efforts, or (b) the outcomes of same.

What about all those “quiet achievers” who are more than happy to do a good job, and are not chasing down fame, fortune or any such recognition, are they successful????

It is not a cut and dry topic, there are too many grey areas, which in a way, makes for a much more interesting world, wouldn’t you agree???

Jo

Participant
    @1winner

Now we are talking.
    Status is mostly an assessment by others; we mostly assess success ourselves.

The ethics or any other value of either status or success is irrelevant to this.

When we know and perhaps admire someone through his status, we assume that such is a measure of success, yet if you think about a few hypothetical examples, you will soon reach the same conclusion that status is a poor measure of success, and so digress from the author of the book in question.

Marc

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

OK, this thread got really deep and heavy but I had a good laugh at the purple bath tangent! I must admit that I also like purple baths – most things purple in fact.

The definiton of success is subjective but, for me, right now, I’d feel pretty successful if I could just remember what it was that I was about to do next…

Regards
    Sonja

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Marc1:

Yet the debate was on a different line, rather if STATUS is a measure of success.

The author made the absurd proposition that if it is, then success can be achieved by going to a society that is so low in comparative terms that we will achieve instant status and therefore instant success.

The author himself was disappointing, and how he pontificated that status and (in his opinion), success, is fuelled exclusively by comparison with others and therefore we do what we do to catch up with the Jones next door.

[angry2]
    MARC, you really know how to Sh*t people. I, for you information, am a female, and if you had actually paid attention to my post you would have realised that I did not at all compare myself to the neighbours or what they have or that I need to keep up with them. I clearly stated, that I felt that I would like some of those things and if I was able to achieve them without putting myself into debt, that was MY PERSONAL SUCCESS!!!!

You also took this whole topic off on a bizarre slant that I pontificated myself by comparing what I did to what others do. I HAVE NEVER AND WILL NEVER EVER compare myself to others. We all have our place in society and I specifically asked for the forumites to express their own personal views on what they feel THEIR success has been in their life.

Don’t EVER take my posts out of context so you can feel righteous and control the tone of the forum. You don’t have the right and I am sure others don’t appreciate it too.

Geez.. all this happening while I’m away in Perth…. Crickey…[blink]
    On a lighter note, thank you to all those people contributing in a contructive manner and who understood where my post was suppose to go.
    Steph.[suave2]

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Participant
    @1winner

Hi Screming… before you scream some more, it may come as a surprise to you that I did not read your post at all, past the first lines and jumped to your last proposition “So, tell me what your concept of success is… Remember, it is YOUR definition, not what you think it should be…”

I was more intersted to follow up general opinion on the SBS show you mentioned which had a slightly different objective than people’s success, and that was to promote a book on status that in my opinion was full of c**p.

So my dear, your version of success or lack of it had absolutely no bearing on my post, and in fact I have yet to read what it is… something that I think is obvious since I never mentioned you or your opinions on success or the lack of it.

But since you made such a good case,[baaa] I promise I will now read it in full and in detail. I may so learn what makes you tick …

[biggrin][biggrin]By the way if when I refer to “the author” you think I refer to you, well…[cigar] what can I say,[eh] may be you are an autor of some sort but no… I clearly wasn’t.

I was refering to the author of the book in question that was on the very show you watched . . .you must have catched it at the end or watched it during commercials.

What is that expression again? Jumping the gun?[confused2]Or is it gunning the jump?

PS
    Your response above is really funny huhu …wow! lucky for me that you are far away!!![fear][fear][fear][fear]

Marc

@scremin

Marc,
    Lucky I’m far away? More like your lucky to be afar away from me. On this topic, I don’t think your comments are at all valid as they are … not even worth thinking about…

May god prosper you all? I am not so sure he has prospered you at all lately.
    Steph.[evil4]

Participant
    @1winner

Oh come on Screming you made a mistake in thinking I refered to you and your post when I did not. You jumped the gun, admitt it and have a laugh at your own expense. It is very healty and helps with credibility.
    Making comments on my signature is in poor taste, and I am sure you don’t even mean it.

Marc

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Marc, i’m a little with Scremin on this. I had to read your post twice to work out that you were in fact not talking about the original post in this topic, but instead were off about the show that she mentioned – albeit fleetingly.

I do think it’s a trifle rude that you respond to a thread without fully reading the initial post that started the thread.

Scremin, my definition of success is being able to provide for my family in any way that I can. My aunt recently lost her husband (my Uncle obviously). They basically had/have extremely little money, and their children (they each have their own, so to speak) continually borrow from them. That really annoys me, but that’s another story.

i went to visit my aunt, with the intention of giving her some money. I knew she had none, cos she had to borrow $150 off my folks the day before the funeral. I gave her $1000, that’s all. She cried. I told her if it made her feel better, she could give me back the $150 that Mum and Dad lent her…..[biggrin] She did!!

When she spoke to Mum on the phone the next day, she had another cry. It makes me sad that her own kids always take from her, and the simple thing of me giving her only a $1000 had such a profound impact. It makes me feel good too though[blush2], but now I’ve got to be more creative in how I give anything to her, as she’s a bit wise to me now[lmao]

Cheers
    Mel

@scremin

Cheers Melbear…

THat’s a really lovely thing for you to have done.

It is sad that there are lots of people out there who are just takers their whole life and get away with it. It’s nice to see there are still people like you in the world still around.

I would give you the same status I give my parents… VERY HIGH ON MY SCALE OF THInGS!!! They give a lot to people around them too and I hope that I will follow in their footsteps too. How can people live their lives knowing that someone close to you need your help???

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Participant
    @1winner

Melbar, I think it is rude to assume the world is against you and react with aggression… and once your obvious mistake is explained to lack the courage to apologise.

As for not reading, the only way one can assume I am talking about Mrs Scremin rather then the author of the book who featured in the show in question … is by not reading my post at all/
    Or perhaps another way is to wear really dark sun glasses whilst reading it.

Marc

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Marc, your point is noted, but I think you’ve missed mine.

Steph started this thread, briefly mentioning something that caused her to start thinking about other things. Instead of reading her post, you’ve jumped in on what you assumed the discussion was about. Perhaps Steph too, did not finish reading your post as she was no doubt riled up by your initial words?

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 19 posts - 21 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.