All Topics / General Property / Researching Waikato Towns

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

I am interested in the towns of Ngaruawhahia and Huntly north of Hamilton City in the Waikato.

I have been using google but havn,t found the stuff on Population, industry, vacancy etc etc that I want.

Any Pointers??

Also Castledreamer, good posting on the recent sales data for the waikato.

Good one
    Pursefattener

Profile photo of tamaratamara
    @tamara

Hi Pursefattener

Ngaruwhaia is part of the the Waikato District Council. You might find something about the district council on google.

I suggest that you go to http://www.propertytalk.co.nz as this site has a whole host of sites that will help you with your due dilligence on NZ properties. There was also a thread that discussed this part of nz that you might be interested in. (sorry cant locate it at the moment)

One last thing regarding Ngaruwhaia. It has an old rubbish dump that is covered over by soil and grass. Be sure to research up where the old site is and what the implications of buying property nearby would be.

Huntly is built around open cast mines. I remember somewhere (I cant think where) reading about the subsidence of land in certain areas in Huntly.

Tamara

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Pursefattener

For Hamilton try: http://www.hcc.govt.nz/

For statistics for the whole country try:
    http://xtabs.stats.govt.nz/eng/statsbyarea/area_urban.asp

Regards

Profile photo of IbuycashflowIbuycashflow
    Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Hi Pursefattener

State Highway 1 is supposed to be bypassing all those towns but I’m not sure on the time frame, check out Transit NZ’s website.

Huntly has a redundant coal power station with some mention of it being re-opened everytime there is an electricity shortage.

This is Tainui country so I’d advise you to stay away from any Maori leasehold land.

Cheers
    Jeff

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Hello Ibuy

Tainui country

Does this mean these towns are all, or the majority, under a lease and not freehold titles?

One of the reasons I am curious about these towns is there relative proximity to Auckland and relatively low values.

Are there opportunities or …….no

Purse

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

Sorry Purse

No it is not all leasehold land and you can get freehold. My uncertainty is what will happen to the township once it is bypassed – it may thrive or it may die. They might even be good towns for wraps.

Ngaruwahia is very close to Hamilton and could well become another suburb. There’s a big dairy factory in Horiutu which is close by.

The Huntly MacDonalds does between $1.6 to 1.8m turnover if that helps – must be some demand out there.

Here’s the site on the bypass

http://waikato.transit.govt.nz/sections/south-ohinewai-to-taupiri.page

Disclosure – I have property in Taupiri (over 12 years)

If you want to get close to Auckland perhaps Pokeno might be worth a look. There’s a big 80 acre subdivision being planned in Pokeno so the area is growing.

Cheers
    Jeff

@pursefattener

Thanks for the Link Ibuy

How has your Taupiri property performed over the 12 years or so?

I will Look into Pokeno as well.

Regards
    Purse

Participant
    @ibuycashflow

It’s commercial, paid $89k in 1991, net rent $12109 pa until 1998, $20k pa until 2001 and now back to $8900 net pa since talk of the roading changes.

It paid itself off and owes me nothing, last valuation was $110k. Great cashflow but lousy capital gain. Without the roading changes I’d be getting in excess of the $20k pa.

Does that help your decision??

Cheers
    Jeff

@pursefattener

HIIbuy

I appreciate how frank you are with your figures.
    Your answer does not help my curiosity however.

I recieve hard copies of the Waikato Times Saturday print and I intend to focuss on this general area. I have business matters that are hard to get away from at present but plan to be in the area in about three weeks.

Purse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.