All Topics / General Property / anyone watch this last night?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Not intending to bash you Ausprop, but I just dont think the USA is the kind of Country you would really want to aspire to.

I like Australia the way it is, not the way it’s going…….

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Originally posted by AusProp:

This is what the baby boomers are up against – just as Kiyosaki has predicted . there may well be a huge investment boom as the boomers have no other option, they don’t have the luxury of time to sit back and do nothing.

Hmmmmm…don’t you think that is exactly what has been happening ????

Now lets take it further. So many naive investors will lose on this (Bought there 3 IP units off the plan since 2000 ) and when the markets dumps them out they will even have less to live off in retirment than before.

Better hope the inheritance is agood one.

Profile photo of FernFern
    @fern

my problem is that people have been saing this for a few years now. the choice is either to go for it or sit back and do nothing. A few years ago I sold property to wait for the supposed plum opportunities that were about to present themselves – talk about regret! Timing the market is a mugs game.

I think you can play the tops, but you have to do your own research and know your area backwards. I’ve done really well out of this one, and I’m cashed up, and have a couple of freehold properties to see me through. But then again this is my third cycle and you get a feel for it. Problem is, I don’t see much growth if any for a verrrrry long time, so what to do in the meantime is always a big one. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

“Hmmmmm…don’t you think that is exactly what has been happening ????”

yes I think it is but I think this is the thin end of the wedge – there are still too many people starting to think about investing for a prolonged crash to occur (IMO). – not ruling out some market stagnation tho.

Salubrious – no probs. all entitled to our own thoughts, its our free democratic right as americans [biggrin]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Bruce said:

“Funny how the show used two females to illustrate poor impulse control and a totally screwed up understanding of credit.
    Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld”

What is funny, Bruce? I don’t get your point… or is that funny too?

kay henry

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

I want it! I want it! I want it NOW!!!!

Whatever happened to the saying “I want never got”? I tell that to the kids here at school all the time. Anything they do they have to earn it.

But as someone pointed out earlier, it is easier to shut them up thatn to talk to them. Shame parents or carers don’t talk to their children as much anymore… poor things are growing up really socially inept.[angry2]

Ho hum… Americanism. I have never liked the American style or what they stand for and I never really will. They would die for their country readily enough but more people are probably killed via fire arms in their own country! They scoff at Australia for making semi-automatic firearms illegal, but all they are hiding behind is a two hundred year old constitution that goes back to the cowboy era that they have the right to bear arms! Absolute bullshit! I am just glad Aus isn’t gun crazy like they are…

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Makes me proud to be Down Under[upsidedown]

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Bruce said:

“Funny how the show used two females to illustrate poor impulse control and a totally screwed up understanding of credit.
    Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld”

kay henry

Most people get it Kay.

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

kay henry

Kay, It’s funny because the ABC pride themselves on being the most politically correct unbiased organization in Australia. This is despite there being no one on Radio National whose right wing views are as extreme as Philip Adams’ are left, let alone 5 days a week every week. Nor do the ABC have anyone with right wing associations as intimate with the left as are Maxine McKew’s, Kerry O’Brien’s, and Tony Jones’. Further, ABC tv’s appreciation of private commerce amounts to Alan Kohler’s 45 second quirky quips in the nightly news bulletin.

Therefore Kay, the humour lies in the paradox of the ABC’s philosophy of avoiding imbalance and unPC stereotypes and their decision to choose two females as victims of poor financial management, let alone flights of delusion. That’s difficult for me to reconcile, how about you?

However, it’s possible that due to the budget constraints the ABC works under, maybe they run out of time trying to find a male victim of surrendered financial responsibility in the time that it took them to find two female victims. Or maybe it was easier to find two female victims because females complain more to various agencies than males do.

Further, if you have an issue with your sex’s capacity to responsibly manage financially, I am sure your efforts would not go unnoticed wherever there is a poker machine. You could also approach Westfield and Coles Myer about the gross imbalance between floor space devoted to retailing of men’s apparel versus women’s. After all, if the shops weren’t there, then women wouldn’t spend so much on clothes, would they?

And I am not saying men don’t p*ss money up against the wall either. It’s just that they generally don’t go off blaming someone else when they do it.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Well, I for one will be very interested to see Kay’s response to such a blatantly sexist post from bruce

For what it’s worth I don’t have a problem with the ABC being a little more to the left, since MOST of the media in this country leans to the right… so maybe it restores a bit of balance overall?

cheers
    r

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Originally posted by thefirstbruce:

However, it’s possible that due to the budget constraints the ABC works under, maybe they run out of time trying to find a male victim of surrendered financial responsibility in the time that it took them to find two female victims.

I’m not that sure we did’nt see any male victims. the diff was the women after the “After” stories the men may be the “before”

Terry

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

Richmond, it is blatantly sexist to pretend there aren’t sex differences with this topic, or within the ABC’s sloppy use of stereotypes.

We all know the ABC use the argument that they are justified in being pro left and pro ‘anti private sector special interest groups’, because the commercial media are the other way. This is why they are so vocal in trying to avoid independent monitoring of political bias currently.

I wouldn’t have a problem with the ABC if it also provided workable solutions on how to run the private sector more to their liking. However, they don’t. It is just a tired old left bashing of everything private, with no intelligent alternatives ever thrown up.

Further, isn’t it a little sinisterly paternalistic for a state sponsored media organization to be saying if you don’t like our spin, then go and listen to the commercial stations. It is supposed to be everyone’s ABC, not the Left’s. And the majority of everyone voted for the coalition last time, no matter how hard the left live in denial. In taking the stance you are re the ABC, you are encouraging state sponsored censorship.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis
    Originally posted by AusProp

Quote:
    Saving our butts??
    The Jap’s took care of saving our butts when they bombed Pearl Harbour, if not I am sure we would be speaking Japanese at Fairfeild Mc Donalds,

A foreign language being spoken at Fairfield McDonalds – surely you jest.

For non-Sydneysiders this is sarcasm as you do not hear English as a language more than 10km out of the CBD. [wink]

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan
    Originally posted by Salubrious:

We all end up as fertalizer in the end so what does it matter?

It matters because what’s the use of having the ability to have creature comforts to make your life more enjoyable but not use them.

I’m saying there should be a happy medium between the two statements

Whoever dies with the most toys wins
    AND
    Whoever dies with the most toys still dies.

If I am working during the week, I want to relax on the weekend with a glass of wine, or a weekend away or something. I see no problem working so I can afford a luxury sometimes.

I am guessing you enjoy a beer Salubrious, and as your name suggests maybe other comforts as well.

Bundy made me do it…..

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by thefirstbruce:

kay henry

Kay, It’s funny because the ABC pride themselves on being the most politically correct unbiased organization in Australia. This is despite there being no one on Radio National whose right wing views are as extreme as Philip Adams’ are left, let alone 5 days a week every week. Nor do the ABC have anyone with right wing associations as intimate with the left as are Maxine McKew’s, Kerry O’Brien’s, and Tony Jones’. Further, ABC tv’s appreciation of private commerce amounts to Alan Kohler’s 45 second quirky quips in the nightly news bulletin.

Therefore Kay, the humour lies in the paradox of the ABC’s philosophy of avoiding imbalance and unPC stereotypes and their decision to choose two females as victims of poor financial management, let alone flights of delusion. That’s difficult for me to reconcile, how about you?

However, it’s possible that due to the budget constraints the ABC works under, maybe they run out of time trying to find a male victim of surrendered financial responsibility in the time that it took them to find two female victims. Or maybe it was easier to find two female victims because females complain more to various agencies than males do.

Further, if you have an issue with your sex’s capacity to responsibly manage financially, I am sure your efforts would not go unnoticed wherever there is a poker machine. You could also approach Westfield and Coles Myer about the gross imbalance between floor space devoted to retailing of men’s apparel versus women’s. After all, if the shops weren’t there, then women wouldn’t spend so much on clothes, would they?

And I am not saying men don’t p*ss money up against the wall either. It’s just that they generally don’t go off blaming someone else when they do it.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

bump ;-)

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

this bashing of consumerism is all a bit ho-hum. The worlds biggest consumer economy, the US, is always sledged as being some greedy giant, yet it is the standard to which all nations aspire. We all want designer labels, flash cars, nice houses. If you want to be a hippy and carve wood branches in the bush go for it… the main stream will continue on and evolve the human species with it. Greed drives the search for cures to disease, increase food production etc. It is not perfect, but beats the medieval ages hands down. We need to accept this framework and work within it to achieve the best result individually. This extends to not blaming everyone but yourself if you wish to run up a $5000 mobile phone bill, lease a new car, go on a holiday or whatever.

Ah AusProp, BLAME is the name of the game.
    Blaming is the survival mechanism used by 95% of the population, who sees the 5% that are successful as not worthy of it, but don’t want to work for success either, and rather prefer to blame someone for their lack of it.

At international level, most problems are the USA fault, crime is the gun’s fault, my health is the doctors fault or the tobacco Co’s fault, my child’s education is the education minister’s fault…I tell you it is so much easier to live that way! The only problem is that it achieves lousy results.

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Interesting article! Definitely nothing new!!!

My favourite quote:

CLIVE HAMILTON, THE AUSTRALIA INSTITUTE: Consumption today consists of people spending money they don’t have to buy goods that they don’t want to impress people they don’t like.

Hmmmm……err…..just one correction if I may?? Would the word “want” be best replaced with the word “NEED”???……If consumers really didn’t “want” the products, surely they wouldn’t buy them???? [blink] It’s because they (supposedly) WANT to impress the other (liked or unliked) people that is pressumed to the reason behind buying the products in the first place????!!!!

Cheers,

Jo

P.S. Sorry to divert the attention away from the “sexist” debate, I only went through and read all that after I replied to the initial (thread) post!!! Okay, back to the beatings, I have a comfy ring-side seat; [smash] knock yourselves out boys and girls!!![laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.