All Topics / General Property / anyone watch this last night?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Lets face it – Australians are greedy and want to look good – when we get our licience we want to get a flash car and show off to our mates and pick up chicks – we spend all we get and are not taught how to save – we over extend ourselves in all we do, houses, stereos, clothes etc

Think i’m lying read the facts, per head of population we are one of the most debt ridden society in the world, am i aussie yes and i can’t believe how many suckers are out there.

How to get rich

Learn to live on one credit card max $5k limit

Buy assets not liabalities

Don’t lease cars own a cheap one and park it around the corner

If you can’t pay cash for it you can’t afford it

Don’t sign any interest free accounts

Take a bus meet the real people

Learn the difference between want it and need it

[baaa]

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

R0FL @ aussierogue.

I don’t particularly think it’s the parents. It’s the way the system has been set up. People have always wanted the latest thing – wether it be a new car or a new computer. But there has come a time where people seem to have switched off and don’t realise that they have to pay this debt off.

Perhaps the reason is because the generation which is really getting into credit cards, is the 35-27 age group have never experienced a prolonged down turn – They were still children during the recession “we had to have”, and so they can’t remember the toll it took, the dot.bomb to them was not really an economic drop, and people took a cut in pay but it wasn’t like their was mass unemployment.

This age group are walking debt time bombs, but they just don’t care, they will still go out and get their nails done, even if there credit cards are maxed out and they can barely pay off the car loan!

The only solution would to either rise interest rates or deny people credit (go back to the days when the RBA would control different loan sectors, consumer, residential, business, etc).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of FernFern
    @fern

Well said ResidentialWealth.
    My head has been spinning at the amount of debt friends have clocked up over the last few years.

They say things like, “House prices never go down” – Huh – I can remember the last big one, and it wasn’t pretty for a lot of people, especially the high flyers.
    I can remember putting money on deposit and earning 25%pa. I hate to think what borrowers (in tight positions) were paying.

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Fern
    Well, I remember the time you’re talking about, we were buying our first home, and we were paying 17%.
    A lot of our friends lost their flashy big homes back then, but they still had all their nice furniture and new cars.
    We still had our second hand furniture and old cars – and we still had our house, because we bought what we could afford at the time and paid it off as fast as we could.
    In the end we all have to make choices about how to spend our money, and it’s those choices that make or break us.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

heres the thing – i reckon we look at things from the wrong angle…

we sit back and say that ‘we are greedy’, that ‘we want things too quickly’, that somehow the other person ‘doesnt have perspective about money’.

the question is why do people behave that way???

and the truth is that everyday each of us is guilty of treating people differently because of the way they are dressed, the car they drive and the jobs they have.

its one o one phsychology and its the same reason you feel more comfortable with a realestate agent who ‘looks presentable’ or a politicain that ‘presents well’. i see it everyday in corporate life. the ones that look good and present well, and that means having all the trappings ie good school, house etc get treated with more respect. and i can tell you that in reality there is very little correlation.

we see people who have these things as successfull so we try and get the same for ourselves and continue the decpetion.

how many of you have friends of a different (lower) socio economic status??? how many of you would feel comfortable living in a suburb where the mediun price rge doesnt quite match that of your firends? if you were really honest i bet not many.

so heres the way to turn it around. change your attitudes towards people less economically advanced than yourselves.

make a conscience effort not to judge people by what they have – then your children, your friends, your colleaugues might do the same and realise that money and possessions isnt everything!!

create a cycle that is truthful and not deceptive!!

thants what i reckon anyway!!

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

So what you are saying Aussie is “screw commercial advertising”!!!![baaa]

Who says i need a Coca Cola to feel fookin good!

This is why it is what it is brothers and sisters, its an evil money driven society with rooms full of boardroom directors scheming up new and improved ways to pilpher and plunder our pockets.

How many bills drop in our letterbox’s each month? How many cent do we lose everytime we swipe the eftpos let alone the credit side of things? Who says we need that car, those earings and that flavoured ice cream? Who makes aware of all these amazing things?

It would be intersesting to conduct a survey on the spending habits of a single couple who are blind and compare it to a couple who can see………….
    [suave][blink]

We are all made from Stars

Participant
    @aussierogue

salubrious – re commercial advertising – you cant ignore but dont be blind to it!!!

when i was living in asia about 3 years ago there was a phenominon going around asia where mc donalds were selling these little toy figures (i forget the name). now hk, japan and singapore are hotbeds of consumerism. fathers and mothers were queing overnight outside mc donalds stores just so that they can get one of these toys for there kids. when they asked them why they were doing it – the reply was inevitable ‘because i love my child and they want it!’.

this is the kind of herd mentality, keeping up with the jones’s that we ‘adults’ are a party too. atleast the kids have an excuse!!!

@salubrious
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

im confused – i think ill go buy something.

Thanks Aussie…had to go change my undies because of you[lmao]

Profile photo of thefirstbrucethefirstbruce
    @thefirstbruce

was that the program they interviewed the overweight blonde who divorced, set up her ow business (recruitment agency), couldn’t curb her consumption habits (cafe lattes, clothes, OS trips, horses for the kids), then went bankrupt? Then she blamed the credit cards. She wrote a letter to the bank asking them to stop her from spending on the credit card. i.e. she was absolving responsibility for when to spend something on credit. I bet her father spoilt her, and the most important thing to her was keeping up with the Joneses.

As for the poker machine addict, this is what happens when your don’t pay attention in year 10 maths class, and believe that someone giving you credit is the same as being given money, which she said on several occasions.

Funny how the show used two females to illustrate poor impulse control and a totally screwed up understanding of credit.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

@salubrious
    Originally posted by aussierogue:

salubrious – re commercial advertising – you cant ignore but dont be blind to it!!!

when i was living in asia about 3 years ago there was a phenominon going around asia where mc donalds were selling these little toy figures (i forget the name). now hk, japan and singapore are hotbeds of consumerism. fathers and mothers were queing overnight outside mc donalds stores just so that they can get one of these toys for there kids. when they asked them why they were doing it – the reply was inevitable ‘because i love my child and they want it!’.

this is the kind of herd mentality, keeping up with the jones’s that we ‘adults’ are a party too. atleast the kids have an excuse!!!

I dont have kids so i guess it makes it a bit hard for me to understand why they buy what they buy. We were so poor when i grew up that the only toy I had to play with on xmas day was between me boxers lol!

I think you have to get a good mindset and really focus on what’s really important such as your health.

look at Brad Pitt and Mel Gibson, icons of consumerism, got it all etc and they both smoke!

Keeping up with the Jones people is for the wankers, been there done that.

Example, my house is in desperate need of a reno, not a tip or cess pool but needs painting, new kitchen carpet etc to pull out of a 70’s time warp. I am a builder by trade and the good lady keeps on me about the look of the place and what the neighbours are upto etc.

I have been here for 10 years and in that time my next door has updated his kitchen twice, changed his floor coverings and bathrooms and landscape as well.

At what cost? What was my cost?

How much more will his house be worth on the market compared to mine?

If it really makes you happy to show off, then rack it up dudes. Its all to impress at the end of the day, just like a male Bower Bird……[withstupid]

Participant
    @aussierogue

salubrious – re changing yr undies. that usually happens becuase i give people the shiits – so happy its happened for another. better reason! keep rockin’

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by thefirstbruce:

was that the program they interviewed the overweight blonde who divorced, set up her ow business (recruitment agency), couldn’t curb her consumption habits (cafe lattes, clothes, OS trips, horses for the kids), then went bankrupt? Then she blamed the credit cards. She wrote a letter to the bank asking them to stop her from spending on the credit card. i.e. she was absolving responsibility for when to spend something on credit. I bet her father spoilt her, and the most important thing to her was keeping up with the Joneses.

As for the poker machine addict, this is what happens when your don’t pay attention in year 10 maths class, and believe that someone giving you credit is the same as being given money, which she said on several occasions.

Funny how the show used two females to illustrate poor impulse control and a totally screwed up understanding of credit.

Bruce
    Mooloolaba, Qld

So true, this day and age its always someone elses fault when you dont succeed at something…which is easier then admitting to yourself that you just werent good enough.

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

this bashing of consumerism is all a bit ho-hum. The worlds biggest consumer economy, the US, is always sledged as being some greedy giant, yet it is the standard to which all nations aspire. We all want designer labels, flash cars, nice houses. If you want to be a hippy and carve wood branches in the bush go for it… the main stream will continue on and evolve the human species with it. Greed drives the search for cures to disease, increase food production etc. It is not perfect, but beats the medieval ages hands down. We need to accept this framework and work within it to achieve the best result individually. This extends to not blaming everyone but yourself if you wish to run up a $5000 mobile phone bill, lease a new car, go on a holiday or whatever.

@salubrious

I owe I owe I owe so of to work I go…………..slave mentality. Its easy to get baitedI gather.

Out of all my mates i am the only one who doesn’t have a credit car, own and drive a new small car, own my home outright and dont owe no bastard nuttin.

But they nearly got me, at one stage I was that far above my head I couldn’t tell hot from cold, so I went without for 5 years and look at the result! Freedom! Borrowing a shit load for a 50 square house you dont need can only give you that warm fuzzy glow inside for only so long, and one thing that is very hard to do is bullshit yourself about all of this borrowing caper, new cars, 50k weddings etc.

We all end up as fertalizer in the end so what does it matter?

@salubrious
    Originally posted by AusProp:

this bashing of consumerism is all a bit ho-hum. The worlds biggest consumer economy, the US, is always sledged as being some greedy giant, yet it is the standard to which all nations aspire. We all want designer labels, flash cars, nice houses. If you want to be a hippy and carve wood branches in the bush go for it… the main stream will continue on and evolve the human species with it. Greed drives the search for cures to disease, increase food production etc. It is not perfect, but beats the medieval ages hands down. We need to accept this framework and work within it to achieve the best result individually. This extends to not blaming everyone but yourself if you wish to run up a $5000 mobile phone bill, lease a new car, go on a holiday or whatever.

All nations aspire to? The US makes me sick, and why would a country like Australia aspire to a country that has a pathetic medical system and likes blowing children up to make it cheaper for their Hummers to get to K Mart and back? Oh, I see, maybe they need more guns?

[baaa]

Participant
    @ausprop

well proof is always in the pudding… coke, mcdonalds, kfc, subway, colgate, palmolive, ford, gmh, dell, microsoft, the internet… i dont see any of these being unpatronised or going broke. Everyone is happy to accept the benefits from the US (including saving our butts back in the 40’s, but hey what’s loyalty?). Blowing up kids, i assume this is some reference to Iraq but this is the wrong forum and i dont want to get into a debate that bashes the US just because its the trendy thing to do. the way people go on you would think we had all sold our cars and joined greenpeace.

Participant
    @aussierogue

this has become a debate abt social systems. i dont remember saying anything abt the usa. western culture allows us great freedoms etc etc no doubting that.

by the way if your happy being mainstream all the power to ya. you probably think matchbox 20 are a good rock band.

but you gotta be blind not to think that rampant consumerism is not a huge problem.

even george bush, alan greenspan, bill gates will tell you are living beyond our means. so if it all turns pear shaped cause you took on too much debt dont come running saying – i was mainstream and we were all doing it?? hence its not my fault!

also you said ‘we all want’ – not everyone..

Profile photo of FernFern
    @fern

Can’t say I aspire to designer clothes, or flashy cars. I drive a 1996 camry S/W[biggrin] even though I could buy a new car. Goes good so why worry. Cars are liabilities in my eyes.

I’m keeping a very close eye on the US.
    Thats where the financial storm is brewing.
    “Get out of debt” before the storm hits, is a very good mantra.

Participant
    @ausprop

my problem is that people have been saing this for a few years now. the choice is either to go for it or sit back and do nothing. A few years ago I sold property to wait for the supposed plum opportunities that were about to present themselves – talk about regret! Timing the market is a mugs game. This is what the baby boomers are up against – just as Kiyosaki has predicted with his Prophecy book. there may well be a huge investment boom as the boomers have no other option, they don’t have the luxury of time to sit back and do nothing.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

@salubrious
    Originally posted by AusProp:

well proof is always in the pudding… coke, mcdonalds, kfc, subway, colgate, palmolive, ford, gmh, dell, microsoft, the internet… i dont see any of these being unpatronised or going broke. Everyone is happy to accept the benefits from the US (including saving our butts back in the 40’s, but hey what’s loyalty?). Blowing up kids, i assume this is some reference to Iraq but this is the wrong forum and i dont want to get into a debate that bashes the US just because its the trendy thing to do. the way people go on you would think we had all sold our cars and joined greenpeace.

Saving our butts??
    The Jap’s took care of saving our butts when they bombed Pearl Harbour, if not I am sure we would be speaking Japanese at Fairfeild Mc Donalds, as the Yanks would have still been watching us die!

I spoke of Americanization more than 20 years ago, not just because of Iraq.

Yeah, your right about proof is in the pudding……….coke, winchester, 44 magnum and still no level trade agreement with our US mates, what a wank……..

If that’s proof then call me a yank[jerry]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.