All Topics / General Property / anyone watch this last night?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond
    Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

very interesting.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Nothing new. the ppl who keep talking of economic fundamentals have been saying it for years.

The angle I liked was on the instant gratification, “luxury addiction”. Why has this been SO prevalent in Aust. What does it say about us.

You have to wonder when the next recession will arrive, a whole generation is now working who dosn’t know what it means.

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

Yes I watched it. It was interesting to note that the ‘negative gearers’ were getting themselves into trouble. As for the lady that gambled, well she spent her equity on poker machines. It pays to be well informed. For the inexperienced ‘watchers’ it would have scared alot of people or made them more cautious.
    As we all know, positive gearing is the way to go.

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Id like to take a sledge hammer to poker machines. They should outlaw them. Who cares if it affects govt revenue?

r

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

When interest rates go up to 10-12%, won’t most + geared IP’S become negative anyway.
    Robo

http://www.bestclad.com.au

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Robo,

Depends… some of us locked in for 5 years not long ago for 5.99% or 6.29 %…

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Only the smart will prosper. Its always the way with life, just like a pyramid. The ones in last always get burnt.

Get ready for 13%

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

interesting program, lucky it replays tuesday midday…

what would be the larger risk – consumers defaulting on $60k of credit card debt squandered on frivolous past times and tiddly winks (as graphically displayed on 4 cnrs program), or defaulting on existing equity (and $$$ hurt money) held in an appreciating asset ie. property.

as for mortgage reduction schemes, most of us brokers spend more time restructuring these ridiculous schemes – only 4 ways to pay of your mortgage in 5.5 years

1. pay more
    2. live less
    3. get a better job and do 1.
    4. get a better job and do 2.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

Yes but it doesn’t matter how well prepared you are or what you do – we are all apart of this economy and if there is a major credit squeeze and we are plunged into recession (or dare I utter depression) then we will all suffer. You can lie awake at night worrying about this or cross your fingers and go for it. The alternative is to try changing things – but this is much bigger than what any one person can influence.

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

Interesting the forum “gurus” are silent ;-)

Be interesting to know from the majority of positive geared investors at what level does the investent turn negative (average interest rate).

A lot are holding for the “long term” but if the investment turns negative and broken the fundamental rule (positive geared), do you sell even if the market is depressed?

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I’m not big on buying only CF+ props, but I’m guessing (I haven’t yet read the article either) that if interest rates squeeze that much, there will be a lot less people who can afford a mortgage, and therefore more renters. Demand v supply. Less investors can afford, and sell, less supply. What will happen to rents – allowing for a lag time of course?

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    Originally posted by brahms:

to pay of your mortgage in 5.5 years

1. pay more
    2. live less
    3. get a better job and do 1.
    4. get a better job and do 2.

Brahms there is of course ..
    5. All of the above,
    Great advice, don’t know why ppl beleive that there must be some magic to paying debt.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Auto sweep is also good for reducing loan debt.

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Hi guys, this thread kinda relates to the one I put in Opinionated about success.

SBS’ insight program was talking about it and how ppl do feel like they need all those things to feel successful. Its a shame really. I mean as much as I would love lots of lovely things, I am prepared to wait for them and work towards them.

At school we are doing an interesting bit on the emotional brain. It has different rooms etc according to your emotions (Duh…hence the name…). At the bottom of the poster it has something along these lines. Bum, I can’t think of it, I’ll add to this msg when I get to school…..[baaa]I’ll Be back!

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of HousesOnlyHousesOnly
    Participant
    @housesonly

I say blame parents who cannot say no to their children. These are the leftwing people who have brought about the laws that prevent a parent from giving a child a hiding. Because of these people there is a generation of people who are not prepared to wait and work for things and believe it is their right to have anything they want whenever they want – hence the huge debt.

Participant
    @housesonly

This was the quote of the whole article

“CLIVE HAMILTON: The whole debate about the aspirational classes is out there saying to them, “You should aspire. You have a right to aspire. It’s proper to aspire to an ever-more-wealthy lifestyle. It’s your right to do so.” And therefore, the whole political process is corrupted, I would argue, towards that end. So we
    have political parties engaging in tax-cutting wars. We have political parties promising and giving middle-class welfare because the middle classes, even though they’re doing very well, are feeling aggrieved. And so there’s this bizarre situation that even though we’re wealthier than we’ve ever been, we actually feel more materially dissatisfied than ever before.”

Participant
    @aussierogue

housesonly – how you can relate giving a kid a hiding to our consumer society is baffling. the left wingers as you put it are the ones who out of anyone are anti consumerism.

lefty rogue (now theres a contradiction)

Participant
    @housesonly

Of course it would be baffling to a left-winger!
    So I guess you are saying that it would be the right-wingers that are into consumerism? Or maybe it is all those in-between and neither the left nor the right are?

Participant
    @aussierogue

im confused – i think ill go buy something.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.