All Topics / Heads Up! / Tradies labour charges on the up

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Don’t marry one!
    Then you’ll have no chance of getting your plumbing done. I had a new oven sitting in my kitchen for 8 months (In it’s box)…..the bathroom in our last PPoR took six months to renovate…lucky we had an ensuite….I need a skylight in my kitchen, we’ve been here 14 months now….I could go on….
    Maybe you should just sleep with a tradie [blush2]

Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Guys, guys, guys (and girls, girls, girls)

Shoud I clarify, and say that the $50 per hour is WAGES to be employed FULL TIME. That’s right, 5 (or 5 1/2) days per week, 8 hours per day x $50. Without any overtime, that’s $2K per week!!

I certainly understand the plumber I call out to my house will charge more than that, as he is not working 8 hours per day, 5 days per week – every week of the year.

I agree with Sue, don’t marry them! Even giving birth to them doesn’t help much – my Mum waits months and months for my brother to do stuff. It’s only when she’s really got the sh*ts and is about to call someone to pay them handsomely that he figures he’d better do it!!

Cultivate friendships, invite them round for dinner, and get them to fix the problem beforehand[biggrin]. If it’s an IP, same deal, just take them by the hand and drive them to the IP BEFORE dinner!![lmao]

Hey Monopoly, we finally got a carpenter to turn up today – but he won’t be able to do anything for us for at least 3 weeks!! At least he turned up to quote though[king]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by melbear:

I agree with Sue, don’t marry them! Even giving birth to them doesn’t help much – my Mum waits months and months for my brother to do stuff. It’s only when she’s really got the sh*ts and is about to call someone to pay them handsomely that he figures he’d better do it!!

Okay so marrying one is out??? That’s cool, didn’t think my hubby would appreciate that idea anyways!!!! Sleeping with one???? Hmmmmmm, nope don’t think he’ll take too kindly to that either!!!!! [laugh4][laugh4]

Cultivate friendships, invite them round for dinner, and get them to fix the problem beforehand[biggrin]. If it’s an IP, same deal, just take them by the hand and drive them to the IP BEFORE dinner!![lmao]

Again, I think I better get hubby to do this; it may not been seen favourably (if you get my drift!!!) [blush2][blush2]

Hey Monopoly, we finally got a carpenter to turn up today – but he won’t be able to do anything for us for at least 3 weeks!! At least he turned up to quote though[king]

Heck, at least he turned up!!!!! Pace yourself Mel…..first things first, baby steps!!!!

BTW…..did I mention “the tradie stil hasn’t turned up”?????? [laugh4][laugh4]

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Gee, and everyone was going on about how much money a person would earn with a Degree!

My older brother (sparky) was earning 60k+ a couple of years back before *THE EVIL ONE* left him with Epilepsy and now unable to be an electrician, he is now a saleman on 30k that cannot smell or taste anything.[grrr]

Of course the time he did the wiring in the VW Combi for the oldies with the radio only working if you turned low beam on doesn’t speak volumes for his skill, but them he was skilled at multi-million dollar fuse boards and industrial lighting not archiac autoelectricals.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

duck :)

I think that 60k for a tradesperson is pretty base pay. Basically, the work many of them do might be dangerous, highly skilled, or even dirty (plumbers fixing toilets or other things). I think the degree of skill they have warrants their pay. But really, 60k is a pretty basic wage in sydney. And they do callouts- god, I reckon they deserve their possible 100k or more that melbear was referring to.

kay henry

@sizzling_duck

It was at least 60k (hence the + at the end[evil4]), he was working in a factory as a shift electrician and he was working in Brisbane. Also it was a couple of years back so increases in his potential wage now was not entered into.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Just adding that you also have to take into account the purchase of expensive electrical equipment and tools they (e.g. carpenters) are using, plus the maintenance and repairs of that equipment.

Celivia

@melbear

Cel, that’s true – although they do get to claim it on tax. My little brother is forever buying new toys – I mean equipment for work. Plus they have to have a ute or a van or 4WD to carry all the stuff – and the extra petrol.

I’ve seen my brother get zapped by the electrics when fixing next doors power point – he goes through a lot of those screwdrivers that protect you from a zapping. Not for me at all!

Cheers
    Mel

PS. Monopoly, our carpenter is providing his quote on the phone now as I type! Still can’t do it for a few weeks though. Heard from your guy?[biggrin]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Plus the tradie guys get so much support from the wonderful women and wives on this Forum who support their work and do their paperwork (check out the “what do you do for a living” thread in Forum Fun to see how many women work with their hubbies :) Sp really, you have two people working for the trady’s livelihood- give them as much moolah as they deserve, I reckon :))

kay henry

@melbear

That’s true Kay! Although the ‘wonderful woman’ who did the paperwork when my brother sub contracted – was my DAD![:)]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Nah [blush2] but that’s cool.

Seriously Melbear, I was just kidding round; the need for a tradie (a sparky) was ages ago…..HECK, I’d have been fried to a crisp by now if I was still waiting for someone to check out the electrical wiring in this place!!! Luckily we stumbled across an old friend who offered to take a look!!! So there you have it………

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT…….

THE TRADIE FINALLY TURNED UP!!!!![laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]
    Jo[tongue]

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar
    Originally posted by diclem:

Don’t marry one!
    Then you’ll have no chance of getting your plumbing done.

The solution is to get a divorce.

My ex is a sparkie & always turns up on time & I get discount rates too!

[biggrin]

Shushar

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,

Mr Eccentric is right about tradies “upping their price” when they really don’t want the job.
    The people who usually get this over-quoting are generally difficult people or difficult jobs.
    Most tradies have the benefit,at the moment, of choosing the jobs they like to do.
    Solid brick/double brick houses are a nightmare for plumbers/sparkies, avoid them if you can. Or factor it in if you are planning to renovate.

Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@sizzling_duck

Smaller jobs also tend to have a higher ‘per hour’ charge due to travel and basically the fact that many tradies prefer the big jobs where the real money is.

An example would be my father who is a respected fencing contractor. A workmate needed a back fence on her IP replaced since it was falling down and the neighbor out the back has a pool. The fence in question was 12 meters and on pretty flat ground so all that is involved was a quick demolition of the old wooden fence and the installation of a simple fence that conforms to BCC guidelines for pools. She got a quote from one guy for $1300 for a pailing fence. It struck myself as expensive since I had done a little work with the old man in the past and knew prices weren’t usually that much per meter. Found out colourbond fence for the same area would be about 700-800 through my old man but he is too busy to do so at the moment. Anyway she got another quote for colourbond, about $1200… talk about ripping people off… and the old man’s quote wasn’t ‘mates rates’ either.

It took a bit to get those prices out of the other contractors as well. If the fence was say 40 meters then quotes would be leaner as they want the job, much easier to lay a 40-meter fence than fart around with a 12 meter one even if the per meter rate is lower.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.