All Topics / Heads Up! / Tradies labour charges on the up

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hi all

Was talking to a plasterer friend of the family last night to get a rough quote on how much it would cost to refix ceilings, and render a 3 beddie home.

As an aside, he told us that recently tradies of various sorts had been charging $30 per hour for their labour, but they have worked out that there are not as many apprentices etc. coming through these days (explains the shortage of good tradies!), and so have upped their hourly fees accordingly to around $50 per hour. This is in Canberra, but I’m guessing that it will be relevant to the rest of Aus too.

Anybody want to change careers?[specool]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Melbear,

No doubt; but it’s not their prices that annoys me so much, it’s actually GETTING THEM TO TURN UP; especially when I have to sit around at home, or at the IP for hours without so much as a phone call!!!!!!!! [grrr]

Jo

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

yes, that’s another problem that is also linked to the lack of them – they know that they can pretty much do what they like, cos we ain’t gonna be able to get anyone else.

There’s a company in QLD called the Tap Doctor (franchise, probably heading south soon) – plumbers – and they have a vastly different way of doing business. they will call if they are running late, they will call if they will be early, AND they will call if they will be on time. they will take their shoes off at the front door, they will fix any other little things that you need done, and clean up after themselves…..

No wonder they’re doing a roaring trade. Reckon there’s definitely something in that for any other enterprising tradie who wants to set up such a system!!

Cheers
    Mel

@monopoly

Hi Melbear,

Just curious that group Tap Doctors, were you being sarcastic about what they claim to do, or are you saying they actually do do those things???

One tradie I called, a sparky actually, found him in the yellow pages, and his ad won me because he advertised:

We won’t muck you about…..
    If we’re going to be late we call

Yeah right!!!!!!

Booked them once, no show. I called them to ask what happened, apologised profusely, guy hurt his thumb on a job. Okay – booked for next week, no show, I rang again – guy went home sick with gastro. Take 3 – rebooked for following day – guess????? When I rang up again, no answer on either the sparky’s mobile or the business phone, tried for days; got answering machine once, left message for owner of business to call me…….never heard back!!!

I give up……..!!!!!! [angry2][angry2]

Jo

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Jo

Nope, am serious about the Tap Doctor. They claim to do it, and they DO.

We rang a local carpenter who was meant to go to my brothers place on Saturday at 9.30. My brother was home. The guy turned up, knocked softly, then left his card. Didn’t return my brothers call when he found the card a little later..

then was supposed to turn up at 4.30 today, but didn’t! What do you do? The majority are all the same…

Cheers
    Mel

@monopoly

So true Melbear,

Gotta laugh at the movie scripts whenever they make a weak attempt at the ever-corny “lonely housewife flirts or seduces tradesman when he comes to fix……”[blush2][:I][blush2][:I][blush2]

Yeah right!!!!! Very realistic!!!! What they forget is……the guy has to show up first, doesn’t he????? [blink][blink][blink]

Jo

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Guys,
    No tradies in the forum willing to defend themselves???
    My hubby is a plumber!!!! Don’t throw things at me![biggrin]
    Definitely a lack of apprentices coming through, we tried six before we found one that actually wants to learn. Not too many young guys interested in doing physical work it seems.
    Apparently there is a downturn in the building industry…..we have never been busier! Working seven days a week and booked at least six weeks in advance.
    Hey Mel, if you can get a tradesmen at $50 an hour I think you are doing well!
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I think tradies deserve at least $50 an hour. They are skilled just like our accountants and solicitors- and it can be dirty work :o)

About time they got proper pay. $30 an hour is nothing.

kay henry

@monopoly

TO ALL / ANY TRADIES OUT THERE

I couldn’t agree more, you deserve to get paid TOP DOLLAR…..I could never do any of the stuff you guys (or girls) do; most of which is dirty (i.e. plumbing) and/or downright dangerous (i.e. electrical)….so you definitely have my PAY RISE vote!!! [strum] HOWEVER……

Turning up when called to a job would be NICE to say the least, but if that isn’t possible, due to unexpected delays at your previous job….(if it’s not asking too much)could you at least have the bloody decency to CALL the next client who is more than likely sitting around waiting, and waiting, and waiting………..!!!!! [glum2]

Pretty pleazzzzzzz ????????[blink]

Jo [juggle]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

That’s 4 times you have put the message that the trady didn’t turn up, Monopoly- I think we get the picture.

kay henry

Profile photo of PhoenixrisingPhoenixrising
    @phoenixrising

Guys,

The lawnmower guy is worth $30 an hour so what does that make a sparkie worth

Make hay while the sun shines people

Geoff

“When you can walk on water…take the boat”

@monopoly
    Originally posted by kay henry:

That’s 4 times you have put the message that the trady didn’t turn up, Monopoly- I think we get the picture.
    kay henry

Thanks for that Kay, damn Alzheimer’s!!!!! [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]
    BTW….did I mention the tradie never turned up?????

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

Speaking of pay rises, I hear plumbers around London are charging 90POUNDS an hour[shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked]…..If they happen to show up[blink]…Oh now you’ve got me saying it Monopoly!

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

That’s it, 90 pounds an hour?
    I’ve definitely gotta convince hubby that it would be nice to have a working holiday in London[cap]
    Sue

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

@monopoly
    Originally posted by wayneL:

Speaking of pay rises, I hear plumbers around London are charging 90POUNDS an hour[shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked][shocked]…..If they happen to show up[blink]…Oh now you’ve got me saying it Monopoly!

Ahhhhhh [blink][blink]…..the plot thickens……[idea]so that’s where they’ve all gone!!!….No wonder they’re not fronting up [vanish][vanish][vanish]!!!!! [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]

Jo [tongue]

Profile photo of wayneLwayneL
    @waynel

LOL Monopoly,

I shoulda kept my big mouth shut!!! I may have just sparked a further exodus of plumbers.

I must admit, a quick perusal of the help wanted ads in my area of expertise has left me plotting out a C.V.

But that would mean driving to work every day[ohno2]….”I think I better think it out again”…

http://www.tradingforaliving.info

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Monoply..[angry2]

Has the Tradie turned up yet..??

[biggrin]REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@monopoly
    Originally posted by redwing:

Monoply..[angry2]

Has the Tradie turned up yet..??

[worried][worried] Shhhhhhh…….Am I allowed to…….???? [worried][worried]

Nope…..not yet!!!! [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I once asked an Electrician why they don’t tidy up, as i’ve always found they leave a ‘mess’, he replied honestly…”for the price i charge its cheaper for you if i don’t..”

Gotta love the honesty.

TIP- Try and accumulate Tradies as ‘friends’ [biggrin]

I have a plumber and an electrician..working on more…[king]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

@monopoly
    Originally posted by redwing:

I once asked an Electrician why they don’t tidy up, as i’ve always found they leave a ‘mess’, he replied honestly…”for the price i charge its cheaper for you if i don’t..”

Gotta love the honesty.
    [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4] Yep, well he wins vote!!!!

TIP- Try and accumulate Tradies as ‘friends’ [biggrin]
    Better still, if single, why not marry one?? – at least there’s more likelihood of them turning up at home!!!! [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]
    Sorry, gotta “let it go” don’t I????
    I can’t help it, it’s a sickness!!!!
    [rolleyes4][rolleyes3][rolleyes5]
    Sorry Kay!!![glum2]

Jo [upsidedown][tongue]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.