All Topics / Heads Up! / Robert G Allen

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

wezwaz

Well summed up. I totally agree.

Profile photo of fostonfoston
    @foston

Went to his Brisbane seminar on Thursday night, it was just about packed out. This guy is GOOD, he really knows how to work a crowd.For those of you who haven’t been to one of his seminars this is how he does things. He uses charisma, good acting and a little comedy to make you relaxed and get you interested. He has about 30 – 40 chairs at the front of the room with reserved signs on them to keep them vacant. Nearing the end of the seminar he asks for anyone interested in learning how to be a millionaire to fill these seats, counts to 3 and people just about knock each other over to get one of these seats, then asks them to go to another room to sign up for his course, about $4k.I’m not knocking the guy, i picked up some very good bits of info, motivational type stuff. I may even buy his books yet, but i don’t think i will be buying his course.For those of you who did buy it, good luck and keep us all informed of your progress.
    Cheers
    Foston

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Didn’t go to his seminar, didn’t know about it either..no help, sorry [biggrin]

I’d presume there’d be some intersting info there from reading his books, presumably he’d make things applicable to the Australian market..

HGopefully those who attended, got at the very least some motivation..

PS- Is it just me or are a lot of Hans Jakobi’s ad’s like Robert Allens.. down to the ‘yellow’ highlighting, check out the property magazines and ESI.. have you read the ca$h cow book ?

my view: listen, learn and use whats applicable to your situation AND comfort zone..

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of NRGNRG
    @nrg

I recently signed up to do an RG Allen/Mark Victor Hansen real estate course through US, not knowing that he was in town. I didn’t attend the seminars.

I’ve actually had 4 weeks of training and found it OK. I found Steve’s book afterwards and wish I had found it earlier. Steve’s approach is more straight forward, his book is very easy to read and understand and most importantly applicable to the Oz situation. However, I’m locked in to 12 months of RG Allen (via a $8,500 commitment).

I was impressed by Mark Victor Hansen. He seemed to be a man of integrity. In a similar way, in reading the acknowledgements in Steve’s book I was impressed with Steve and wanted to read his book. The web site I visited on RG Allen indicated that his organisation had a giving attitude, which impressed me, so I signed up. Maybe this was a mistake but I’m committed to make a go of it now and will try to learn as much about real estate as I can, together with my wife.

I noted that Steve has a very prominent accolade from RG Allen on the back of his book and reference to Allens techniques in his book. Maybe Allen gave Steve the original motivation back in 1999 when he got started in real estate investing??? Steve’s techniques are much the same as Allen but some slightly different terminology. Perhaps Steve could elaborate.

My financial advisor from Navra emailed a copy of the article by Neil Jenman to me yesterday and told me to steer clear of RG Allen, not knowing that I had already signed up. I trust Navra’s advice immensely, as they’ve done heaps for me (particularly Steve).

I emailed Neil Jenman saying that I recently signed up to do an RG Allen course and was concerned about what he said in the interview with Neil. Shortly after I got a phone call from Denise Brailey (President of the Real Estate Institute) trying to convince me for 30-40 minutes to take actions against RG Allen to get my money back. She also said not invest in real estate as the Australian market is likely to go bust, quoting IMF commentary of a similar 50% fall like Japan, which puzzled me. Ms Brailey says that she was interviewed by Michelle Tapper on the Today Tonight show – I couldn’t see any reference to RG Allen on the TT website though.

On reflection, I tend to agree with Alan and Marc’s comments on this forum, but I’m open to listen to what others have to say about RG Allen, particularly regarding his integrity.

Is this a tall poppy syndrome? What’s the truth? I’d appreciate Steve’s views on this.

Whatever you want more of give some away.

Cheers Neil

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

From what i’ve read only….

R.G.Allen was brought to Australia by promoter Ronnie Kagan, a former partner of Henry Kaye..

Mr Allens workshop promotions are similair to those of local wealth spruiker George Mihos..from the ‘Today not Tomorrow ” institute..

In R.G.Allens ad’s he claims “I’m on the prowl again-looking for a small group of ordinary people who want my help in creating instant wealth, like i have for countless others”

Mr Kaye faced charges of alleged misrepresentations in the federal courts this year over a series of advertisements claiming to make people into property millionaires in 6 months without using thier own money.

The ACCC brought these charges against HK, but so far has not stopped to intervene R.A..

Neil Jenman and denise Brailey were at the Sydney meetings on Tuesday and voiced concerns..

The ACCC said a lot of spruikers are going underground, using direct marketing, the internet and phone calls to get to people.

The ACCC has taken action against HK advertising and a group called ‘Wildly Wealthy Women’

Slightly negative huh.. however , make up your own minds, i’m sure many of the ideas have some merit

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

ng2157

From what Steve has mentioned in tapes of his, what actually got him and Dave going that first night, was a Robert Kiyosaki Seminar.

I think it’s safe to say that many of us refer to multiple authors and gain whatever we can from them. The problem is, after some time, you get less and less from the books etc, as you’ve already learnt it….

As far as your comments go on the Real Estate Institute Presient. It would seem that person is out of touch with reality…. People are always going to need a place to live in. Sure, prices will come down, but 50% drops…. what has she/he been smoking ???

A Sensible property investment plan should always include the management of risk…. RE investment is not a 1-2 year thing… you need to be in the market for 5-10 years….

Mr. Jenman… hmmm think everyone knows my comments there, so will leave it alone this time…. He does try to help from time to time, bless his soul…… BUT…………………………….. well. no comment this time…..

Scott

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

A lot of spruikers become wealthy by running seminars/selling educational material and telling people how to become wealthy, without practising what they preach. I despise this group because their greed has got the better of them.

You have the people who run seminars/sell educational material and practise what they preach. What I don’t like is the high price put on the stuff they sell. They have a right to sell useful information, but not for thousands of dollars. Again this suggests greed is taking over. Afterall if they are so successful in the field of investment, they don’t need to be making a fortune selling educational products.

Then you have the people who are just plain successful investors and never feel the need to profit by selling educational material.

We must never part with our hard-earned money without research and simply claiming it is all in the name of education. That money has to be reclaimed before you make any progress whatsoever with your investments. We must continue to question what it is seminars really have to offer us. Is the information readily available in a cheaper format, for example? Maybe we can get the info from books and magazines, and apply it ourselves.

I think there are probably some good seminars out there. But don’t get hyped by all the blurb telling you you will amount to nothing, unless you part with thousands to discover their secrets that will lead you to riches.

Finally, no-one ever got rich by doing nothing (a lottery win being the exception) – it takes a lot of effort in some form or another. Building wealth takes time and certainly will not happen for you overnight. If that was your thinking, you need to take a dose of reality right now.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

WOW…[confused2][confused2][confused2]…great input from you all. Thnaks and Im blown away from all the reading that I can’t think of what to say except thanks for the input and God Bless.

Kind Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

Of course there is the view that you are charged a lot for these seminars so that you really get involved in the learning. If they were cheap it wouldn’t weed out those who aren’t serious enough about doing the work..?

Robert Allen says he charges enough to make it hurt so you do take it seriously.

Good luck with it Geo

Profile photo of 1Winner1Winner
    Participant
    @1winner

Interesting responses.

For the sceptics that doubt the price of the information provided, think again.
    What makes information valuable?
    It is the result from IMPLEMENTING information that makes it valuable. How many times in your life have you been given very valuable yet free information and you have let it slip through?
    Why? because you did not valued the source, either yourself or someone you doubted. Why would anyone give me good information free?

Yet when someone offers you something that can make you a bundle if you put it into practice you question its price. I say the price is what will push you to not forget it and to put it into practice.

Valuable information must cost money. And if you think it is wrong to charge “so” much, you better work on those thoughts, because then it is also “wrong” to make a good deal for yourself. If you have a problem with other people’s success you have a problem with yours.

A small-related story:
    Besides investing, I am involved with a very successful network marketing company.
    When people join, the business they have a choice of joining by purchasing what we call one business centre or three business centres. The results that can be achieved are substantially different yet the company usually has a once a year choice to upgrade your business centres so in theory it is possible to reach the same results with time.

Yet we found that all people who start on the cheap, drop out.

That lead us to reconsider the option and we are now not only offering exclusively the 3 BC option
    but only the so called professional package that cost in the vicinity of 5 times what one business centre cost.

Result? Every one that enters through the big door, has a phenomenal career. Some of my down line are making more money than I am and started a few years ago.

If we don’t value what we do we don’t do it with the heart, we don’t put all our power in it, and it does not flourish.

If you must pay $5000 for a seminar and you have a vehicle to channel all that information, it may just be that you need to give the value the information has, enough to put it into practice full on.

My thoughts only OK?

May God prosper you always.[biggrin]
    Marc

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

I liked what Kristine (and some others) contributed to this topic.

However, Celivia said : “ I hope so, sis!
    Jenman, in his newsletter, said: “After all, not too long ago, he was Henry Kaye’s partner.”

Celivia, you are casting aspersions on Mr Allen
    based on (what appears to be) incorrect information. [blush2]

That is akin to character assassination !! [wink]

Being careless can get one into plenty of trouble. If I were you I would seriously consider making a public apology on this website.

Mr Allen was talking about having multiple streams of income and, who knows, one of these may well be to take people who character assassinate him to court.

I don’t know anything about a Jenman newsletter but from an article on his website I conclude that it wasn’t Robert Allen who was a partner of Henri Kay but that Jenman is talking about one of the people who previously promoted Henri Kay and he is the one who apparently has brought Robert Allen to Australia.
    Even then we don’t really know (or at least I don’t know) whether that person was a ‘partner’ of Henri Kay or whether he merely had a business arrangement to drum up seminar attendants.

Jenman also posted an article on his website calling it “Speaking with Robert Allen’ and he further said “What follows is, to the best of my recollection, a record of my conversation with Robert G Allen. “

Being aware of Jenman’s selective memory (at least where it concerns wrapping) I would, on principle, be very hesitant to automatically accept anything Jenman says on face value as he has lost his credibility in my mind at least.

However, that particular article didn’t disclose anything other than that Robert Allen was too smart for Jenman. He refused to be drawn into a question and answer session. Who would want to if the questioner already has made up his mind ?

John T. Reed whom I suspect is the source of some of Jenman’s information is also not quite an unbiased party.

Both Jenman and Reed could be said to have reasons to run other people down. Jenman, we reasonably can conclude that his motive is to establish himself in the public eye because that will assist him in his business of selling real estate franchises.

Reed too has motives because he himself is selling courses and articles so he too would prefer that people spend their money with John T. Reed rather than with Robert Allen.

In another article, Jenman talks about wraps and gives the following example :

The wrapper will buy a home at its true value for $150,000 and get a loan at seven per cent. The wrapper will then load the price by $30,000 and “sell” it to a family of battlers for $180,000 and charge 10 per cent interest.

If the true value of the home falls by 20 per cent – to $120,000, the battlers will still owe $180,000, which is $60,000 more than the true value. Plus the loaded interest rate costs.

My question to Mr Jenman is whether he is also suggesting to his franchisees that they really ought to stop being involved in selling houses in a falling market.

After all, to utilise some of Jenman’s own words, Thousands of battlers are facing financial slaughter by buying a property now. (the last five words are mine).

If not, Mr Jenman, why not ???

Mr Jenman is also intellectually dishonest by portraying a wrapper as a rip off merchant based on charging an interest rate higher than they themselves pay.

Is he saying the same things about the banks and the finance companies who do the very same kind of thing ?

I would be absolutely delighted if he did and mentioned lenders specifically by name. I would think that it wouldn’t be very long before he would find himself in court being cleaned out.

Alan_Chong said in his post that “He (i.e. Robert Allen) has lots of property strategies which most people on the forum would be familiar with (ie flips, options, wraps, lease options, conversions, making money on the internet, stock market trading).
    You can read his book ‘ Nothing Down for the 90s’ which has good material.”

Some people on this website may conclude from Alan’s post that Robert Allen actually detailed several of his strategies in his talk.

He didn’t really, it was more a sort of promotion for his seminar.

So go and buy the book Alan_Chong mentioned (or several of such books by other authors).
    It will be worthwhile and very cheap compared with the cost of a live seminar.

The seminar’s basic purpose seems to have been to go fishing for seminar attendants.
    I would say that he has succeeded in that judging by the number of eager people who queyed up.

My opinion about spending big money on a seminar ?

All the basic information can be obtained by buying a number of books and/or visiting a few websites, already mentioned in several posts on this web site.

Was it a waste of time attending the seminar ?

I don’t think so as one of the valuable things Robert Allen did give away (in my opinion) was some psychological information about ACTION. Action is the ingredient absolutely necessary for success and which most people unfortunately have a lack of.

If one had to pay $ 5 K for that one sentence (and the understanding what it actually means) it would have been well worth it (again, in my humble opinion).

[purple]Do I think that the people who will finish up going to his $ 5 K seminars are doing their money cold ?[/purple]

I would think that most of them (but not all) will not benefit from the information in a seminar as such because they wouldn’t be prepared to do the things necessary to do.

But what’s new about that ?

Unfortunately another problem for many people is the existence of one particular (very dominating) human trait which is that if something is given away for free (or for very little money) then its value isn’t really appreciated.

One interesting occurrence during the evening talk which I attended was that a sleazy woman stood up and said “Don’t listen to that man“ And “Why don’t you pay your creditors in America” and “Read all about him on Jenman’s website”. I think (not quite sure about that) that she also had a photographer in tow.

Personally I think that that woman was over the top and therefore cuckoo. Her little charade certainly didn’t appear to have deterred many people from wanting to sign up for Allen’s seminar.

I just realised that that crazy sounding woman whom I mentioned above may well possibly have been the president of the Real Estate Institute of (which state?) (which Neil mentioned in his post) but she surely mustn’t have seen the article on Jenman on the Real Estate Institute of Victoria’s website which carries a not exactly complimentary story about Jenman.

(Go and read it and judge for yourself how self righteous Mr Jenman actually behaves.)
    It turns out that more than a hundred of his franchisees have sofar fled his organisation.

Pisces

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Lest anyone think Pisces is ranting on…. I invite you to visit the REIV website, and learn more of Mr. Jenman’s practices….

http://www.reiv.com.au/media/eaarticles/pg_media_eaarticles_wheresjenman.html

Very interesting indeed……………

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hey George, why not cancel your enrolment and thence go as a partner of someone else and collect the discount. Each person will save money !!

BTW I would prefer if you don’t send that bottle of whiskey through the mail.

I would prefer to collect it in person next time I’m in Melbourne.

Regards,

Pisces

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Robert Kiyosaki, and John Burley both started their investing careers with seminars from Robert G Allen. In fact, it was listening to a tape of the first two, that made me do a search for Robert Allen on amazon.

I have since bought all of his books. Interestingly, John Burley gets a mention as one of his most successful students. In the early 80’s Allen was discussing ‘Wrapping’ as a strategy, so he was onto it way before Steve…

As for the reference to Henry Kaye – Vision Pursuit seems to be Allen’s promoter here in Aus – they also promote Tony Robbins. Henry Kaye actually partnered with Vision Pursuit – I was told he bought a 50% stake in the company, but I don’t know if that is true or not. It could well be…..

Someone mentioned that Allen advertised he made 24K in 24 hours – it was actually closer to $100K, and if you read Multiple Streams of Internet Income, it will detail exactly how he did it. It was a bit of a setup, but it was for publicity. He has a massive subscriber base, and in the weeks preceding D Day, he told them what was going to happen. ie. on this day, if you respond within 24 hours, you will get fantastic discounts off various products – ranging from one on one sessions, to Allen speaking to your company, to his courses etc. etc.

I was booked in to see Robert Allen last Tuesday, but couldn’t make it up to Sydney. I was a bit disappointed, but figured a run down would be given on here [:)], and that it would seem it would have to be a sales pitch. I’m seminared out, so I wouldn’t have signed up anyway – not to say I wouldn’t want to, just that I have to stop spending so much on seminars at the moment.

Geo, enjoy his seminar, get all you can out of the weekly mentoring sessions, but most of all apply the detail, and definitely report back how you go. As Tony Robbins says, there are three phases – intellectual (know the info), emotional (feel, understand), and physical (actually doing). I have phrased it wrong, but basically once you are at the physical stage, and it is part of you, that’s where it gets easy. I’ve found that seminars help me to get there – they push you that little bit, cos you meet other people there, and catch up afterwards to see how each is doing etc.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

OH MY…[confused2][confused2][confused2]…WOW!!! – you guys are amazing – wealth of information and help – thanks to you all.

Pisces – love your suggestion. Why didn’t I think of that on the day. Got any ideas as to how I can find someone who is attending the seminar? Would love to go as a partner and save on costs? Or is anyone interested in attending his 4-day seminar?

Sincere Thanks to Hux001, Melbear and Pisces and everyone else that contributed.

Kind Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

Well said Melbear !

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Just my $0.02 is that, I tend to go with Robert Kiyosaki’s main point which is that one must continually educate oneself financially, for life. Not only by reading books and going to courses but networking with people who are doing what you are doing and have achieved what you want to achieve. Then the Napoleon Hill “conceive, believe, achieve” mechanism kicks in.
    I would be very happy if I was so financially free that I could go to any course I wanted in any country, because I would learn at least 1 thing from each of them, and could put it into practice and improve on my investing year after year.

I would also meet and network with lots of other like-minded people, and sure 97% of them will never take any action and never do anything but I will, and that’s the important thing. I have already met, and communicate daily with, lots of like-minded people and my learning has increased exponentially, far more than if I read 100 books (although I read constantly also).

And yes, paying out the $$ for a course last year motivated me to take action, find out more, and go out and acquire IP’s and one of the main driving forces was I promised my partner I would earn the dollars back inside a year and also earn enough to pay for any further books and courses – so the money from our investments pays for them anyway.

I will say there is a plethora of speakers though, and the market seems to have gone crazy with them. They also sometimes seem very similar and you have to spend your dollar wisely.

Cheers

skippygirl [specs]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I think it’s all about keepin a part of yourself. Would people go to a buddhist retreat (I went on a 3-day one decades ago- little sleep, lots of meditating which I couldn’t do, and no speaking) and walk away a buddhist? Would you go to a home reno workshop, leave your job and become a home reno’er? What if these gurus tell you to chuck in your job and be “financially free”? (I always thought having a job meant you were financially freer than the next guy, go figure).

I think free seminars can be the motivator to probably do something- and to learn a few tricks. I think RE books are FABULOUS and I learn something new every time. But sometimes I see that people make these people out to be gods. Generally, many of them have just been to each other’s seminars and use many of the same ideology and ideas- not that there’s anything wrong with that- but I am wondering what can be picked up at these 3k seminars that can’t be read in a book.

Geo, remember that the “mentoring” you get will be from a salesperson who has gone through a manual and will be providing answers from that. They probably also know to tell you that they have IP’s themself- but if they say they have IP’s in colorado and massachussetts, how will you know?

I think a seminar could probably be motivating- lots of ra ra, and pictures of the guy driving new sports cars etc.. but I reckon the 3k could go towards an IP. And remember, they might say, “well, the 3k course is the beginner’s course. If you want the REAL secrets of the rich, you have to do the 10k course.”

kay henry

Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

I pretty much agree with your thoughts, Kay.

I think pressure should be placed on seminar presenters to open their books and show us the hard evidence they are successful with their investments – not give us some glossy blurb in a newspaper ad.

Robert Kiyosaki has done a lot of good. However, I believe he is now carried away with his own success. How much is enough? Book after book essentially saying the same thing over and over again. It is a great message to motivate people – no question of it, but has it required all these new books? The last one, “Success Stories” was a useful addition I think, but some of the others don’t really add much to his first book. But boy is he getting richer and richer!

These seminar presenters are not Gods. Many books can do the same thing as long as you get the motivation to do something. And it is much cheaper. Also you can never really replace trial and error as a means of learning.

It’s fine to be positive and pumped up to be a successful investor. But after the hype fades, it is only your dedication that will see you through. Remember, there are no guarantees in investing. It’s not like a Mon to Fri job where you collect regular pay.

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

20 May 2004 – US spruiker fills Henry Kaye void
    Australian Financial Review, 20/5/04.
    A US property investment spruiker, Robert G. Allen, has attracted more than 1,000 people to seminars held in Melbourne and Sydney this week. Allen was brought to Australia by a former partner of Henry Kaye, promoter Ronnie Kagan, and will present two more seminars today in Brisbane. After the initial two-hour seminars people are encouraged to sign up for a further four-day workshop in July at a cost of $4,995. The language in Allen’s promotions is similar to that used by Henry Kaye but so far the ACCC has not intervened. Consumer advocates Neil Jenman and Denise Brailey attended one of Allen’s Sydney meetings and said they feared millions of dollars of investors’ money was about to be lost. ACCC chief Graeme Samuel said the commission can only act on advertising claims, not the financial advice component of the seminars.

Oops forgot to subscribe to this post, but discovered it again.[biggrin]

Yes pisces you’re right, I had not checked out whether what Jenman says in his quote is correct.
    I just planted it here to let people know what Jenman had to say.
    It’s not my own opinion, although I assumed Jenman would have checked out the validity of this before saying something like this in public.

One should never assume![grad]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.