All Topics / Help Needed! / A TROJAN DETECTED

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Can anyone help out there the message “A TROJAN” is detected keeps popping up on my computer. Have tried deleting and scanned with McAfee Virus SCan. Anyone had this before…..

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Try updating your virus check online, then re-running it. A friend has same problem, i will let you know how he gets rid of it.[smart]

lifexperience

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Also – install AND update both Ad-Aware ( http://www.lavasoft.de )and Spybot. They are both free, and used in conjunction with each other, along with your anti-virus, will get rid of most things.:)

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Okay, how to get rid off all Trjans and viruses:

1.First run an anti virus software (I like AVG, which is free- go to http://www.grisoft.com/. This app also has internet updates to, and again, yes (for free!!).

2. Anti-Virus software should remove most of the viruses, but it might not delete all and they could come back!

3. So go to Settings, Control Panel, system OR right click my computer and go to properties. Click on System Restore and the click the check box so it shows a tick (the text should read “turn off System Restore on all drives”, and thats the box you want ticked).

4. Reboot and Run the virus scanner again. If you are still getting an un deletable viruses, do the following:

5. (The reason why the anti virus might have failed is because the Virus tricks Windows into thinking the file is protected an/or in use).

So find out where those viruses are stored (something like C:~windows~system32~filename.???) and write it down!!!

Now press Ctrl+Alt+Delete (at the same time), go to the tab “processes”, find EXPLORER.EXE and right click it so a mini menu comes up – left click End Process. Your task bar should disappear – thats good!! Go ‘File’ the ‘New Task’, type in cmd. Type cd~ and press enter. That should bring you to C:~>
    Now type in where the viruses were stored with the letters del before hand, like in this example= del C:~Windows~System32~ReallyBadVirusWasHere.exe

It will delete the ‘un deletable’ virus, which can only be a good thing. Now go back to ‘Windows Task Manager’, go to ‘File’, ‘New Task’ and type EXPLORER.EXE, and Windows should be back to normal.

Reboot and run Virus Scanner again.

6. GO PARTY, otherwise google search the virus name…

NOTE!!!!
    ~ = forward slash, which is the key located next to the shift key (it the same key that creates question marks ‘?’ when you hold down the shift key’).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

WOW.. Pretty relevant subject..

My Father in Law Just installed Norton Antivirus to his PC, he found Trojan Virus, PW Trojan Virus and Sasser worms x 7 on his PC

Note- his son has been using Kazaar ( downlaod site ) on the PC [baaa] Be wary

Thanks Lucifer..

PS- Whats happening with Dolf’s book regarding the lady who undertook his course ??

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

It’s not only important to remove the Trojan horse, but personally, after getting rid of it, I would change my passwords as well, as some types of Trojans (key logging Trojans)capture usernames and passwords.
    They create remote backdoors and you’ll be open to phishing- hacker’s dream come true!

You also got to be careful that there are no applications on your pc that contain codes that actually have the ability to hide Trojan horses (some P2P software programs, for example).

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

thanks, unfortuately had to reformat….. bugger

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Thanks. TROJAN F&*&@#* GONE……..
    Had to reformat – up till 3.30 am –

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Aww Marisa, I’m glad you got rid of it! Bugger, having to reformat the lot!

DO others also think Marisa would be more secure if she changed her passwords?

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

You’re always more secure if you change your passwords :)

Particularly after you get a Trojan…..

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

redwing, tell your friend’s son to look for a version of Kazaa Lite K++ – it’s the same program, but without all the annoying popups, and annoying stuff that gets into your system.

Also definitely tell him to download adaware from http://www.lavasoft.de – in fact I recommend everybody does this – it’s amazing what sort of things you can see are hiding in your computer, sending info to various places. I had one that was called ‘Optimizer’, which instead of the 404 page not found, automatically redirected me to a site where I could choose from a number of categories to see if what I really wanted was there! Quite bloody annoying, but gone now.

Cheers
    Mel

Participant
    @redwing

Thanks Mel

[thumbsupanim]

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I spent the last 4 days re-install my xp and all the other apps. I did this coz of the virus as well as my windows prgs are getting too big.

Bloody virus

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of MillyMilly
    @milly

Speaking of trojans and such I have had trouble with one this past week.

Someone, name of Darkness, posted a thread in help needed. It was titled ‘I need help’ or something. The writer was asking if he should invest in a company called ‘gods..something or other’. A link was supplied , but when you clicked on that site you were hit by a virus.
    Someone from the forum, was it ChanS?? warned us he/she was picking up the virus. Unfortunetly too late for me.

so if your computer keeps freezing and you have to reboot you could have this Shell virus too.Nortons didnt pick it up for me but McAfee did.
    happy computering
    Milly

Participant
    @redwing

Milly…

My computer wouldn’t let me access that site posted by Darkness ( bloody idiot ) and lucky for me huh..

See wht happens when they teach Uni students how to build a ‘worm’ so they know how to destroy one…

REDWING

Profile photo of NelsonLaiNelsonLai
    @nelsonlai
    @nelsonlai

Hi Guys,

Oops for the last reply.

Sometimes antivirus or spy removal tool (adaware) cannot remove Trojan viruses, I sometimes have to resort to using ‘stinger’ a standalone utility to detect and remove the virus. Because this runs independently from the Antivirus or adaware software, it can pick up the virus and remove it. After which, you should look at reinstalling your antivirus software. Of cause no matter what antivirus software you use, you should always keep your windows system up to date to prevent virus from infecting your pc. You can do this within ‘Internet Explorer’ tools, windows update then follow the website and download the patches.

If you are running windows XP, you can further enhance your security by enabling the firewall (especially if you have someone running Kazaa on your network) within XP to stop virus at the door. Try following this link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/securing/enableicf.asp

Good Hunting!

Nelson

@nelsonlai

Oh sorry, you can download stinger from here

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Nelson

Profile photo of madhunmadhun
    @madhun

Marissa,

If you can afford one, pop down to dick smith or check online and purchase a Creative 1.5GB USB HDD.

Ghost your entire hdd to the usb drive.

In the event that your system fails again it’s simply a matter of formatting the HDD and ghosting the usb hdd back onto the HDD.

Alternatively, puchase a 80GB hdd and do the same.
    (my preffered option).

Then after you have formatted the infected drive ghost the other back to create your clean backup.

You can have the hdd permanently installed into your machine if you really must, but remember to swap the leads about so that the clean drive is the Primary master. It’s also a good idea to disable the clean hdd in the bios, so if your machine is infected it can’t attack the clean drive.

Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a lot of problems in the past with virus’ and spyware/adware etc and now have gotten rid of it all (although ad/spy ware does keep trying to come back).

the programs I use are

1. Spybot Search and Destroy.
    2. Ad-Aware
    3. Spyware Blaster

Spyware Blaster runs silently in the background and stops ad/spy ware without you noticing, allowing you to do the tasks you want to do. I believe Norton Antivirus mistakes this program for a virus for some reason, I’m not sure – I use McAfee without any problems.

Also, there is a very good website with small but very good tools to protect your PC. the site is

[http://www.grc.com

This guy actually finds problems before microsoft does, and I use his programs myself.

Hope it helps.

Karl

p.s. Virus scanners remove a virus/worm/trojan only. They don’t remove spyware or Adware and vice versa. So just because your virus scanner doesn’t say it found these programs doesn’t mean you ain’t got ’em.

K

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. – Eleanor Roosevelt

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.