All Topics / Help Needed! / A TROJAN DETECTED

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Can anyone help out there the message “A TROJAN” is detected keeps popping up on my computer. Have tried deleting and scanned with McAfee Virus SCan. Anyone had this before…..

Profile photo of wordword
    @word

hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give you an answer but since Im here Ill tell ya what I know.

First thing is any computer on the internet should have a firewall. A firewall stops people from getting in your computer while your online. Firewalls should also stop trojans from letting people get in. I use zonealarm its free dont know if its the best but a lot of people I know use it. http://www.zonealarm.com

Some virus scanners wont get rid of trojans, and will only detect them while they are in use. you can download a trojan remover just do a google search “trojan remover” or something

Finally make sure your virus scanners are up to date. not sure how good mcaffee is I use Normans cause thats what we have at work and its pretty good.

In summation make sure you have a good virus scanner that is regularily updated or set to do the automatic updates, And a firewall program, if you are on the internet.

I also have adaware http://www.lavasoft.de on my machine cause theres a lot of crap on the interent and anytime my browser starts acting wierd I run the adaware program and you’ll find all these nasty little things installed on your machine from nasty websites.

hope that helps and is not too confusing it’s late and I need to go home and sleep.

Tom

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Marisa,

You have a virus; which obviously your scanner is not equipped to dispose of. I am not sure about the ferosity of this virus, but I do remember it going around years ago.

I am not sure how it will affect your PC at the moment, but maybe you could try and update your scanner (in the background) and try to quarantine it. I am not virus-savvy so unfortunately, I am only suggesting what I think, MAY WORK.

Good luck,

Jo

Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

Hi Marisa,

try to get your computer scanned online.

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/free_tools/index.htm

or

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9913

Good advice from Word, install “zonealarm” once your computer is clean.

I also can recommend SpyBot its free its great it does not find viruses but it will find adware and spyware. http://www.safer-networking.org/

good luck

jsandso

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Essentially several programs are used to keep your system clean of insidious programs.

A Trojan is essentially what is classed as a ‘backdoor’ program. You have a program on your pc which allows a third party direct access to your pc when you are connected to the net.

Other malicous programs include keyloggers and hijacking programs.

A good combination would be to make sure you have the latest Critical Patches from the windows update site, this will require you to restart your pc once downloaded and installed. Next would be to get an effective firewall, as suggested zonealarm is a good solid choice. There is the free version and the ‘bells and whistles’ versions which you have to pay for. Next would be to have programs specifically designed to ‘scrape’ your filesystem and more importantly your registry of entries for the malicious files.

Adaware is excellent though it does not remove all malicious files I have found. Add CWSHREDDER (I think the spelling is correct) to the list.

All above programs have the update ability built in.

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen
    Originally posted by Marisa:

Can anyone help out there the message “A TROJAN” is detected keeps popping up on my computer. Have tried deleting and scanned with McAfee Virus SCan. Anyone had this before…..

Hi Marisa, is the message a McAfee Virus Scan message? Or is it just a random message that doesn’t tell you what the trojan is called and tries to direct you to an anti virus software page? If it is in fact McAfee alerting you to an infection, it should tell you what the infection is called and prompt you to either delete the file or clean it. If it is unable to do either then you will need to check to see if your DAT files are up to date. If it is a genuine infection (and not a dodgey pop up advertisement) then I’d suggest downloading Stinger from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ and running a scan with that on your system. It is a free download and detects the most common and current viruses, trojans and worms.

Cheers

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Double Posting Is bad… Mmmm Okay… But anyway-

Okay, how to get rid off all Trjans and viruses:

1.First run an anti virus software (I like AVG, which is free- go to http://www.grisoft.com/. This app also has internet updates to, and again, yes (for free!!).

2. Anti-Virus software should remove most of the viruses, but it might not delete all and they could come back!

3. So go to Settings, Control Panel, system OR right click my computer and go to properties. Click on System Restore and the click the check box so it shows a tick (the text should read “turn off System Restore on all drives”, and thats the box you want ticked).

4. Reboot and Run the virus scanner again. If you are still getting an un deletable viruses, do the following:

5. (The reason why the anti virus might have failed is because the Virus tricks Windows into thinking the file is protected an/or in use).

So find out where those viruses are stored (something like C:~windows~system32~filename.???) and write it down!!!

Now press Ctrl+Alt+Delete (at the same time), go to the tab “processes”, find EXPLORER.EXE and right click it so a mini menu comes up – left click End Process. Your task bar should disappear – thats good!! Go ‘File’ the ‘New Task’, type in cmd. Type cd~ and press enter. That should bring you to C:~>
    Now type in where the viruses were stored with the letters del before hand, like in this example= del C:~Windows~System32~ReallyBadVirusWasHere.exe

It will delete the ‘un deletable’ virus, which can only be a good thing. Now go back to ‘Windows Task Manager’, go to ‘File’, ‘New Task’ and type EXPLORER.EXE, and Windows should be back to normal.

Reboot and run Virus Scanner again.

6. GO PARTY, otherwise google search the virus name…

NOTE!!!!
    ~ = forward slash, which is the key located next to the shift key (it the same key that creates question marks ‘?’ when you hold down the shift key’).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.