All Topics / Help Needed! / Reno’s WA – Purchasing Power

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

We’re about to renovate a place when it settles and are currenlty collecting the bits and pieces we need to do this. I’ve got a couple of items I’m still looking for and wonder if anyone in WA has any ideas on where I might be able to purchase these items at reasonable prices (or cheap if possible), don’t mind salvage yards, second hand, wholesalers. seconds etc.

The items are:
    a) Fire surrounds (not the mantle piece) or Ashpans that could go under a grate.
    b) Vanity, vanity taps, shower and bath taps etc.
    c) Windows (for odd sizes ie: we’re replacing lourves with sliding)- We’ve checked salvage yards already, we may have to go bigger and alter the frame but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas on where to get odd sized windows first?
    d) Ceiling Fans with lights

Although I can get all these items retail, I’m hoping for ideas that may be cheaper than retail.

Thanks
    PK

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Dang good question purplekiss!

Umm.. the sink warehouse in ossie park looks like the place to go for bathroom stuff. 1 teakle rd os park. (I am looking in the yellowpages funnily enough..) Try Not the Full quid in Ossie park too. They often have really cheap things. Not too sure if they do vanities and what not, but they have lots of cheap stuff!

Fire surrounds, go and checkout all those old antique places along Guildford road. I went through them all in January and I am sure I saw some old fire surrounds hanging about.

Windows, my inlaws got odd shaped windows from Brakjovich’s out your way. I am sure you would have already been thorugh there with a fine toothed comb though…

Cremin and I are kinda after the same details so i’m gonna keep an eye out for this thread.
    Keep us updated with where you found whatever.
    Scremin.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Purplekiss
    Try Statewide Salvage, Bassendean for the fire surround. I have picked up some great pieces here.

I recently purchased a fire surround from Diggers and Truckers in Stubbs Terrace, Shenton Pk (1 month ago)for $260.00 would you believe in excellent condition! Lightly rubbed it back, came up a treat, it is now in my bedroom.
    Good luck

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

apologies Purplekiss, NOT MANTLE PIECE.
    Still stands, the 2 places I recommended have lots of goodies. Probably Statewide as a larger selection, though the other is cheaper generally.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Thank you both, will check out these leads.

Screamin, if your looking for small quanities of tiles ie: for doing up bathrooms, then try “World for Tiles” in Malaga. Ask to see the cheapies, they are in a small alcove off the main showroom, I picked up 10 square metres for $100.

Vanities – For a new one Bunnings seem the cheapest. “Not the Full Quid” didn’t used to do bathroom, but they are part of the Rick Hart chain so their product range may have grown as Rick Hart has grwon, so I will check them out and let you know if they now do bathroom stuff or not.

Hadn’t thought of antique places for the fire surround (sounds obvious now that you mention it) so will check that out and will also check out out Statewide Salvage.

Thanks guys and if you think of anywhere else, then let me know. And I’ll keep you informed of any finds as well.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Hi PK,

Off the Top of my Head ask the people at EPRDA, some of the old Properties above “Polly’s Pipe” came up a treat, restored to new, fireplace areas looked Great, think a legal firm is using the 2 storey property on corner of Newcastle and..? ( sorry, at work [angry2] cant remember ).

The light switches in Jarrah and brass looked great too, Clipsal have them also and you can SMS Clipsal for free catalogue [biggrin]

A & G Property Maintainence did majority of thier work.
    PM me if you want A&G or Clipsal details

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

My advice is to let your fingers do the walking first.I rang about five different places for a shower base and the difference in prices(new)was over a hundred dollars.I now buy a lot through the person who looked after me with this deal.
    And when I went back to that big company that says they can beat it by 10%.You all know the one.They said they couldnt do it.So Thanks REECE PLUMBING and bad luck BUNNINGS.
    I also find that once you frequent a place long enough they start to look after you.Good onya everyone at DONGARA BUILDING AND TRADE.I buy my stuff at the beginning of the month and have two months to pay which is another good thing about shopping in the one spot.
    And dont forget to check out farm clearing sales.They have lots of materials going cheap and also a lot of antiques.
    Russ.

Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

Hi PurpleKiss,

do you know about the “Reno Kings” they have a site http://www.renos.com.au. I find this site is great for specific renovation stuff. Do a search. At the moment the site is new but the more people that use it the better it will be for us.

[wink2]

Beck.
    “You have to leave your mouth open for a very long time before a roast chicken flys into it.” Early Proveb.

Participant
    @purplekiss

All these hints are terrific, thankyou everyone. Will let you know how I go over the next couple of weeks.

Regards
    PK

PS. Redwing, I’m going to sound dumb here, but what does EPRDA stand for. I have a contact at Clipsal so will have a chat to them about the lights/fans as well.

@scremin

Purplekiss,
    do you know anyone that can do the little jarrah switch thingo for you? A cabinetmaker or carpenter friend? Handy man or dad with good power tools? They could cut out and route the jarrah switch thingos for you. Much cheaper than buying. They come up a treat with a lacquer and stuff.

Cheers for that tip on WOrld for tiles. A girlfriend of mine lives in Ballajura so I’ll pop in there on the way through. In Perth next week for a maths conference. Make to good ol’ morley for mummys birthday!

Might pass you at the galleria Redwing!
    Steph.

@scremin

oh yeah,
    Reece Plumbing have very cheap vanities too. Try them. THey might have a warehouse hiding somehwere to get cheapies from!

Participant
    @purplekiss

Yes, will be ringing Reece Plumbing. Actaully going to ring nearly everyone that’s been suggested so far and see how I go.

This thread has been wonderful for everyone that’s doing reno’s, the ideas that have come forth have been great.

Thanks again everyone.

PK

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

One place you might try is Ross’s Auctions. You can get some good deals there if you can handle the auctions and know what is a reasonable price to pay. Can get some good stuff there such as vanities, taps, etc as well as good prices on timber decking and flooring. Just need to sift through the rubbish and find the good stuff!

Participant
    @redwing

EAST PERTH REDEVOLEPMENT AUTHORITY

think i mentioned the building/maintenence contractors to you..ex BMA guys ( Building Management Authority)

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Participant
    @redwing

Rss’s not as cheap as you think..some stuff they manufacture for the auctions..

Stainless stuff last ntime i spoke to a friend..

Participant
    @purplekiss

Ok, an update on what I’ve found so far.

Windows – best place was Brajovichs’ salvage in Upper Swan. Huge range and reasonably priced compared to other yards I’d visited. Just make sure you’ve got time because there’s row upon row of windows.

Vanity, Bath, bath taps etc – new – were cheapest from Bunnings.

Didn’t do the ceiling fans and no londer intend to. When we found there was no insulation we bought some second hand from the quokka and put that in instead so that used up that part of the budget.

Tiles – World for Tiles in Malaga (alcove at rear of store has the “end of runs” ie: smaller quanitites that are left that they want to get rid of).

Fire Surrounds – Didn’t go there, painted the fireplaces instead in a fire resistant paint, some will still burn off due to the direct fire but would have been overcapitalising to get fire surrounds. However in my travels the place in Caversham was cheapest and he’d give a free lesson if you bought from him, can’t remeber the name but it’s the only one in Caversham in the yellow pages.

Venetian blinds – for standard size windows, then buying ready made off the shelf was cheapest in Spotlight but not much choice in colour by going that way and windows had to be standard size (their custom mades were not cheap), still the pricing started at $8.95 for a standard sized bathroom sized window. They had Holland blinds too. Unfortunatley the house we’re renovating was not standard size.

Paint – If your in the TWU union then you get discount on Bristol paint at Bristol Decorating Centres. If your in the RAC, you can get discount at Solver Decorating Centres. Bristol was cheapest though and it’s covered well and they can do most Dulus colours and the ones they couldn’t do then Solver could.

Laundry Sinks – There’s a small salvage yard at the back of Midland, near a Gull service station, cna’t remember the name right now, but when I do, I’ll update this thread, but they had a few at reasonable price. Are sitting in the weather though so would need a bit of cleaning up.

Ross’s Salvage was interesting, the one in Maylands had some cheap stuff but the one in Guildford didn’t, it was like a showroom setup and prices didn’t seem that special, so perhaps a case of shopping around.

Ron Smith Salvage in Landsdale had a good range of cupboard doors, if you need to replace a kitchen door or something like that.

Ok, that’s it for now.
    PK

Profile photo of TrystTryst
    @tryst

With the Auctions, it obviously depends on who else is there and who likes the same items, as too how much of a bargain you get.
    I stumbled into a Ross’s Auction 2 weeks ago, and walked away with a beaut Vanity for around the same cost as a basic white one.
    They were also selling shower heads, they had 20 of them, and these morons kept pushing up the price to $80 outbidding each other, only to take one each anyway! Could’ve shot them!
    You can register and get emails sent out each week from Ross’s, including catalogue of items up for Auction.

Profile photo of wilprowilpro
    @wilpro

PurpleKiss said

Paint – If your in the TWU union then you get discount on Bristol paint at Bristol Decorating Centres. If your in the RAC, you can get discount at Solver Decorating Centres. Bristol was cheapest though and it’s covered well and they can do most Dulus colours and the ones they couldn’t do then Solver could.

Try Solver and ask for a trade discount. explain that you are property investors and doing renovations. They should give you a trade discount of MA & TS. We did this and it saved us some pennies. Nice people at Solver Balcatta. We also got a Bunnings trade card which also helps, (no discount on paint!)

Good luke with the Reno’s We are just coming to the end of our reno.

Wilpro

I have not failed. Ive just found 10000 ways that wont work. – Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

Participant
    @purplekiss

Thanks for the tip on “trade discounts”, will check that out next renovation.

Just a quick update on “Custom made venetians” – we found the cheapest pricing to be at “The Blind Spot” in Wangara and delivery was only 10 days too. (Our quote was supply only, we will install ourselves and save by doing so).

PK

Profile photo of ma againma again
    @ma-again

For all renovating ideas you should try the salvage yard in Kelmscott, they have all sorts of building and home products at very reasonable prices. Salvage and General, Kelmscott.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.