All Topics / Legal & Accounting / 1 weeks rent paid to previous landlord

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of mitzu5mitzu5
    Participant
    @mitzu5

Hello all,
    I recently bought a house in nz which was tenanted. What I have just found out is that when I settled on 29.4.04 my tenant deposited a weeks rent to the previous landlord on 1.4.04. We informed her of the exchange of contracts after the 1st April. How can I retrieve this weeks rent back.
    Thanks to all who reply to this post

Profile photo of diclemdiclem
    @diclem

Hi Mitzu,
    Not sure how it works in nz, but I would have thought your solicitor should have calculated this on settlement date. Along with the difference in rates, etc, the rent should have been adjusted also and reflected in the final price that was settled. Check with whoever handled your settlement.
    Cheers,
    Sue [biggrin]

“Be careful not to step on the flowers when you’re reaching for the stars”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Mitzu,

Certainly a question I would be firing off to the solicitor/conveyancer who handled the transaction.

If it is any consolation – consider one weeks rent in the context of what you are trying to do and it doesn’t amount to much – sure it is good to have but……….

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of mitzu5mitzu5
    Participant
    @mitzu5

Thanx Sue and Derek
    Ill see what the solicitor comes up with. If nothing eventuates I will have to look at the bigger picture………look for another solicitor the next time I buy in that town…. :)
    Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.