All Topics / General Property / Anyone buying RE this year and beyond?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Thought it might be good to ask what people are thinking of doing this year :O) Will you be buying IP’s? Pozz geared? Neg geared? 1? 2? 5? 10? I am not much a one for goals- I just mosey along, see properties, want them, and then ring my bank and beg, so I never know much about what will happen for the year.

Maybe some people are choosing not to buy, but to sit back for a while and see what happens. Would you then be buying again i 2005 and taking this year off to have a look?

I’ll start the ball rolling- I am *definitely* buying a property this year, and maybe 2, but my bank manager will probably have a fit if I want two. Mine will be heavily neg geared in the scheme of things- about a 6% return, but buy and hold and wait for the next growth cycle.

And you?

kay henry

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Kay

i’m going to continue what i’ve been doing, selling down my Oz portfolio and reinvesting in NZ. Will probably sell about 5 more properties in Australia in the new tax year, and will add about 10 more in NZ, may even sell some in NZ (ones that have gone up a bit, have some in Waimate that have gone up 60% in 10 months and i can use the money better elsewhere in the market, but can’t tell the forum where). I’m enjoying buying doer uppers, not that im doing the work, and making a few $$$ that way. So basically keep the options open, buy cash positive properties in areas that will go up in value and a few improvers.

what are others doing ??

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Buying, more cf+ deals on the way, and then closer to home later this year to have a look what’s happening here. Have already sold of Aus house to invest in several NZ properties. Will evaluate further in next few months whether to do same again.

Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Kay,

Definitely want to buy at least one more this year, but I have to wait till settlement on last one is finalised (otherwise hubby will have a hissie fit poor boy!!!).[ohno2][ohno2]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

Will wait till after fed election when rates go up and prices continue there slow decline at a bit faster rate ;-)

Profile photo of Brenda IrwinBrenda Irwin
    Participant
    @brenda-irwin

I am still buying real estate this calendar year but at a vastly reduced rate. Only one so far this year and even for that one I am still waiting for finance to be approved next week.

Return will only be 6% gross yield and that is only because the rent goes up just as I take ownership next month. Good block in a great position in a still capital growing area and I got it at least $20k below value so not too bad.

I wouldn’t mind a few more this year but a higher gross yield would be better.

As for selling any and using the profits to decrease debt, it is an option. I currently have loads of depreciation to claim for the next 5 yrs and that would offset most of the capital gains should I sell anything.

Cheers Brenda[biggrin]

If you want to get out of a hole, first stop digging.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Kay,

interesting post, lol.. you know me, im always buying, and offloading, as little as possilbe… the year is definetly shaping up, and hopefully this july, will be purchasing a PPOR, am looking still at investing overseas… but am keeping very quite and where abouts in which country, though if i do, will be definetly buying a few in a quick hit (in the unidentified area…) though, my interest is only in neutral and negative geared properties.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

We continue to buy… But we are ( and always have been ) selective about what we buy.

At the lower price end of the market, demand is still there….

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hi Kay!
    I’ll be buying again this year if I can find something I like in the pricerange I’m looking at.
    It will likely be neg geared as I’m looking for something in or around Sydney atm, although I’m keeping my eyes open also for some other areas.

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

Interesting post thanks. We are still checking out suitable properties and will buy when a good one presents.

Diane

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Well, we’re waiting for one to settle at the moment, will need some work before renting. It’s +ve geared which will offset the -ve geared one, so don’t have out of pocket expenses anymore.

Will still be looking for another one this year (hopefully).

PK

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I’m hoping to buy 4 more this year in an area with around 10-11 percent CF and (I reckon) unlimited CG

or else, like westan, the classic property with problems, (cosmetic) which you can fix and turn into 20 percent yields.
    Once i figured out how easy it is to call people, get quotes, have it done, and how inexpensive it is in NZ, it really set me free as to what kind of property I can buy (any kind! for the right price!)

joy to the world

Profile photo of fjficmfjficm
    @fjficm

ya im looking, 1-2more this year

hey kay

5.5-6% yieldis not that heavy negative gearing
    first 2 years you might lose 1K after tax
    then after is neutral and positive pretty quickly

in area of growth, and props with large land >500-600m2 and BV built <20 years old with 3 bathrooms etc. within 30-40 kms of city and connected to major freeway is not an unreasonable plan given any yield higher than this is very hard to find and even if you do, the quality is questionable, leading to anxiety, attracting poor tennants etc

so kay im with you girl

cheers

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Yep, Cremin and I will definitely be buying property this year!

We have a bit of a deal going. Cremin said when we have 2 investment properties, we can get pregnant. So that is my motivation at the moment to find the money to close the deals. Hopefully, if we have it my way, we should be able to get pregnant by the start of next year!!![lmao][king][medieval]

Woohoo! Bring it on!
    Steph.

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Hi Kay,

negotiating on five at present. This was a deal I couldn’t pass up on, but apart from that no plans to invest in Australian or New Zealand property for the coming year or two.

O/S is another story all together[biggrin]

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Guess I’ll be odd man out and say I am sitting.
    Looking at a very big portfolio lift after a bit of shuffling of my super (sell a commercial to my fund to get my hands back on MY money…) but as I am only going to buy in Sydney and surrounds I will be waiting till next next year, the market here has just started the slide think it will keep going judging by the amount of for sale signs
    etc.,

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

I’m buying at least 10 more +cf properties this year and next year I’m buying +cf in Ontario Canada (my husband is Canadian).
    Good show on The Great Outdoors tonight 730pm in Sydney. All about buying properties overseas. Should be interesting.

Profile photo of afloatafloat
    Participant
    @afloat

Hi Kay,

Well, I’m off to Manchester again at the end of the month.
    We have two deals going through at present and we are looking at buying 6 more before years end.

Next year, we have pencilled in acquiring at least 10 and you guessed where – Manchester.

Regards

Afloat- head above water

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i will hopefully buy a ppor and maybe one more investment property. depends on if i get a payrise and if/when my wife goes back to work.

by the way for all you long time forumites my daughter is 6 months old now and spends most og her time trying to eat her fingers!

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I settle on my first ever off-the-plan purchase toward the end of June. And no, it’s not a city apartment. It’s a holiday unit in Port Macquarie – 30% on paper gain since contract exchange. And the bank will lend on the current valuation. It will be very -cf (loads of depreciation, too). There’s also a place in Tasmania I’m looking at. It will be +cf. I really want to pick up another Sydney property, though. No hurry there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.