All Topics / General Property / Nerves of Steel – Whats you Risk Level?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

most of us, probably know, that there are many types of investors, you passive, aggressive and emotional types…

but as an investor, How much Risk can you Tolerate?

Do you have the Nerves of Steel, while everything is dropping down in price, you can still hold on and maintain, no impression of worryness or stress…?

are you able to stay relaxed and calmed, even when your geared and max to your eyeball…?

or are you the more conservative investor, where… there always an emergency fund hidden away…?

or are you just a fence sitter, and saw a great deal at the time, took no action… and then wished you had… because, now that property… has boomed and performed…?

Cheers,
    sis

Fence Sitter 0 < 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – > 10 Nerves of Steel

^
    |

Conservative

… where abouts you do you feel you stand…?

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi SIS,

I’d suggest I am about a considered 6/7 – still looking to buy but with ’emergency’ funds available.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

8-9 as long as the deal is CF+ and my downside is limited.

Also what exactly is ‘risk’?? Because what I have done many people would say it’s risky, where as I say they have high risk.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Hello Mr sis :)

WEll, I would put myself as about a 6 these days. A while ago, I would have been a 3, and before that, I had the nerves of a complete chicken (now, I’m like a genetically-engineered chicken (full of hormones, oversized, but still a chicken). I still want to keep my LVR at 70%. I have no emergency fund (wouldn’t that be going into one’s mortgage or into buying more IP’s?)

But I am far less scared than I used to be, because now I understand a little more of what I’m doing. When I first started out, as an uneducated investor, I just had no clue, and so was just *hoping* it would all be ok, and that I hadn’t screwed up (it did turn out ok), but it was like a random thing, and I really had so little money, that it would have killed me financially if things went wrong. Now my financial situation has improved, I’m more educated about RE (I have to say this forum helps no end), and so whilst I don’t see myself as being hugely into risk, I now see what I’m doing as not hugely risky, and less scarey.

Risk can be like investing in emu’s- that was in vogue about 15 years ago- highly speculative and then got killed off by retrosepctive tax changes anyway. Risk can also be like gambling on a horse- you either win big or you lose it all. So what seems to me like “risk” now is actually being “informed”- and that’s a far better headspace for me.

Actually, maybe I’m a “5” on your scale, sis :)

kay henry

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I would say I’m a seesawer..anywhere between 4 and 6.
    I have no problem with holding on if everything drops in price. I can just shrug my shoulders about that.

I don’t like to be geared to the max, I wouldn’t like to go over 70% LVR.

Where are you sis, on this scale?

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi SIS,

I would have to say I am between 5-7; I am fairly conservative, yet tainted with a dash of aggressiveness (opportunity, and husband, permitting of course)!!! [rambo][rambo] Love him to bits, but he is a real investment “scaredy cat” poor boy!!![worried][worried]

I have been burnt with interstate property investing (no, not 2-tier market jobs) so in that respect, I prefer to keep IPs in my own backyard; have “dabbled” with shares (too yo-yo ish for me) and would never allow myself to be maxed out on anything…..other than good food, wine and pleasant company!!! [party][party]

Cheers,

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Me too Jo. I like taking risks on other areas of lifestyle- give me a 10 on that score. But when it comes to money, well, I don’t want to end up a bag lady, so I am not sure it’s good to risk it all on red or black.

kay henry

Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

sadly, i think im between a 2-3 :( Somthing im going to have to work on :)

julie

Profile photo of wilandelwilandel
    @wilandel

Hi SIS,

Interesting post !!

I think we are about a 6 to 7 out of 10.[baaa]

We have sold our home, which we loved, so that we could invest without using a LOC, and although we are investing in NZ and Australia, I don’t like doing too many deals at the one time. I like to get finance approval etc.. and then move on to the next deal.

We have some loans fixed, but mostly we are on variable rates. All P & I, as we are more concrened about reducing debt than having excess cashflow.

Up till now we haven’t done anything too risky or scarey, just lots of little houses, units, and one commercial deal, although we are trying to find the right BIG COMMERCIAL DEAL that will work and make us lots and lots of cash!!

Regards,

Del

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I have no idea, really, – I think I am cautious (I.e., I would and do tend to follow someone’s advice who has done what I want to do before, i.e. Steve)

but the world, AKA people that don’t invest, has told me ever since i started that ‘I’m crazy’,
    (10)

but as i have 100 percent equity I actually think I’m super-conservative – so far i’ve been too chicken even to gear *at all*!!! (1)

Buying three properties for the price of one, i get three rents, so risk of vacancy and loss of income is spread. (conservative.)

(that’s all gonna change folks…clean credit check, tick, eliminate consumer debt, tick, one year of stable rental history, tick, confidence up , tick, etc etc)

I reckon by the end of the year I’ll be geared up to the eyeballs (by my standards) with about a 70 percent LVR. Maybe up to a 4 or 5.

but i would still call myself risk-averse.
    Lower-priced properties (i.e. accessible to the maximum amount of buyers in the market, therefore always more demand, therefore easier to sell)
    i think are a great niche market which I have kind of discovered, without realising it (really I just bought them because that;s all i could afford at the time, and it seemed better than nothing) – but I’ve seen the cheaper houses out-perform more expensive houses for capital gains *in the same market*, over and over again.

So even in the future, I would rather have ten 60k properties than a 600k property. More flexibility (can sell one, hold other nine)- multiple streams of income, etc etc)

Also, I quite like how you can own a measly $100k worth of 20 percent returning property which equates to about 20k per year, which is basically the rent on an 800k house( a 2-3 percent yield) – a house I could never afford to live in otherwise. To me that is a beautiful and special concept…

joy to the world

Profile photo of CarLoverCarLover
    Participant
    @carlover

I reckon I’m at 6, even though I would like to think I’m at 7 or 8.

As my knowledge improves, I expect to be more confortable operating at level 7 or 8.

Cheers,

CarLover

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

10 months ago, I would never have contemplated buying property interstate. One month ago I settled on a property in SE Qld. Now investing interstate doesn’t hold the same fears.

2 years, being geared and taking on debt to the extent that I have was unthinkable. Today, my $1m debt doesn’t concern me.

What I have done, I would have previously thought of close to 10 than to 5. Now, I think I am somewhere in the middle. I suspect that in 2 years, I will probably undergo another paradigm shift. I am sure others with heavy experience in property would see me as a 3-4.

James

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Celivia,

for staying calm and relax, when most people would be stressed and many would have countless sleepless nights, to be honest i sit on a 10, my nerves and risk tolerance, can stay very calm and with no slight indication of stress or nervousness, im no superman, but i feel i have been gifted with the nerves of steel…

as for my gearing levels, i sit some where on a 9-10, but am conservating, because im countinous trading and offloading in exchange, but always increasing and pushing it to the next limit…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted

I trade derivatives for a living so you need to be a 9-10 in risk tolerance. emotional ppl get wiped out very easily.

The property people that can genuinely claim to be very emotionally controlled and risk tolerant are the ones that got through lived and survived the late 80’s – early 90’s boom bust and are still in the game playing hard (though i think a lot would be sitting on cash right now).

For the property gurus of the last 3 yrs the test for your resolve i think is still to come. The only true way, is to test yr reactions when it really hits the fan.

Anyone can have large exposures and leveraging to shares, property or derivatives but it is other factors that call the shots with risk tolerance credibility in my opinion..

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

when it comes to being comfortable with debt and finances, I’m at a 10, that is with my latest purchase I’m at a 74% LVR (I thought it would have been higher as it’s 105% borrow on $800K purchase!), and I have huuuuuge debt levels. I only wish the banks would lend me more money – but now I have to get creative…

When it comes to other things like staying calm and rational when two or more of my dogs have decided they hate each other and want to rip each other apart, I’m at about a 1 for nerves of steel, however I will jump right in and physically separate them (have the scars to show for it too!!) – pure adrenalin I think.

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.