All Topics / General Property / Tasmania Boom?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of kcckcc
    @kcc

Has anyone invested in Tasmania.
    I am refering too not only the capital cities(Hobart)and Launceston, Burnie but the small outlaying areas.
    I have just bought a property in the small West coast town of Queenstown.
    Let me know your thoughts?[baaa]

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

Have you ever been to Queenstown? [blink]

As for Tasmania boomin it started around 2002 and is really hitting the top in prices now.

We have several properties in Lton and Hbt but not outlying areas or mining towns like Queenstown.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

My guys down there tell me the boom is well and truly over for the time being at least. According to them Melbourne and Sydney buyers drove the prices up, but there has been little movement of late. I would expect prices to pull back in the winter. I bought in Somerset this time last year.
    Scott

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

im with anubis – have you ever been to queenstown???

its not pretty but thats not to say its a bad investment

good luck!

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

“Its not pretty”

Could I say thats the understatement of the century??? Well it has to be up there with ’em!

The don’t call it the Wild West for nothing – The Good, The very bad and the very, very ugly [;)].

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by kcc:

Hi kcc,

Without seeming to be harsh it would appear as if you are having doubts about your purchase. The doubts needed to be resolved before you made the purchase and not after – this is an essential part of a comprehensive reaserch process used by investors.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of SuperTedSuperTed
    @superted
    Originally posted by Derek:

Originally posted by kcc:

Hi kcc,

Without seeming to be harsh it would appear as if you are having doubts about your purchase. The doubts needed to be resolved before you made the purchase and not after – this is an essential part of a comprehensive reaserch process used by investors.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Big Yawwwn

Profile photo of digglerdiggler
    @diggler

Tassie is a great place, but as for Queenstown:- sell, sell, sell!!!!!!!!!!!

Profile photo of ScullyScully
    @scully

I personally will be keeping a close eye on Tassie, in particular around Hobart. I know the “boom” is pretty much over, but Tassie and Hobart in particular has just been thrown into the spotlight with the Danish royal wedding coming up. I reckon tourism in Tassie is going to flourish (more), and this in turn may just create some more investment opportunities.

It will be interesting to see if it does make any difference.

Cheers,
    Karen[biggrin]

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

Who cares ! Is it positively geared?? Then whoopee good for you ! Don’t listen to the doomsayers.

Profile photo of krazystylerkrazystyler
    @krazystyler

Bright your future is from mindset!

Yodaimpersonator

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis
    Originally posted by 1HotValuer:

Who cares ! Is it positively geared?? Then whoopee good for you ! Don’t listen to the doomsayers.

Takes a bit more than just being CF+ to be a good investment. CF+ isn’t always important anyway.

Profile photo of WAFWAF
    @waf

Hi Kcc,
    first welcome. Don’t be put off by the lack or quality of some of the replies you receive. Although your question has been answered before I will have a go.

Tasmania unfortunately is no longer undiscovered, recent buying in the last 2-3 years from mainly intersate investors have pushed prices to unsubstainable highs. I say unsubstainable as with the current price plateau vendors in Tasmania are in cases having to make fairly hefty reductions in prices to achieve sales. (I just negotiated 80K of a 300K property).

But back to your question, Tasmania has an excellent future, tourism has increased year by year at a steady rate and last year peaked at I believe between 700 000 and 800 000 visitors. The state has magnificent scenery, great food & wine, great people & great tourist attractions. Queenstown if you are after +cf why not? If you are after high capital growth then look coastal as there are still some excellent bargains to be found, basically they don’t make land on the coast anymore.

If you are happy with your purchase then stick with it, Queenstown will achieve some growth in the years to come but probably not a lot I’m tipping that’s not what you bought it for anyway.

Cheers

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

kcc,

Queenstown had the biggest CG in Tasmania last year. But that was because, early last year, properties in Queenstown were about 25k. Now they’re 50k. But just because an area *has* had CG, doesn’t mean it will in the future, or even today.

Queenstown has a population of 3000, and acts as a satellite for outlying areas. It has something of a tourist demand, because of its “lunar landscape”. I think you’d have to visit there to know what you’re buying into before you buy. I’ve been there, and so, it seems from the posts, have a few others from this Forum.

Here’s a description, below, from the sbs website about what the landscape is like. I think when people talk about tasmania having CG in the future, well, it depends on where really. Most people think of Tasmania and think of rainforest and trees, and that might be why one might want to buy in Tas. Queenstown is very different from that. See below:

“One such example is the mysterious lunar landscape in Queenstown, Tasmania. This once picturesque region, covered by mountainous rainforest and the winding Queen River, is now disfigured by open gashes and tonnes of pilings. The river runs murky grey with sediment and the majestic forests are gone, the little surviving vegetation has been poisoned from sulphur smelting. Rainfall has washed away the topsoil leaving exposed moulds of rock and clay.”

http://www.sbs.com.au/gold/story.html

kcc- if your property is having good CF, you’ll do alright. Post-boom, all of us might be lucky to get CG. Queenstown might not rise, but mosman might not either- for a number of years. Who knows?

Best of luck with it :)

kay henry

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Told you it was a bit ugly….

The Environmental Equation

At the time, these particularly devastating methods of mining caused murmurs of protest from farmers and pastoralists who could see for themselves the damage that was being inflicted upon their local ecology. Eventually, these mining methods were outlawed by governments, but not before vast areas of natural forest had disintegrated into wasteland. The most infamous example of mining damage in Australia occurs at the Queenstown region of Western Tasmania. Once a verdant expanse of mountainous rainforest and plentiful waterways, the area has now been transformed into a treeless desert of silt, sediment and ecological decay. Big open cuts channel into its topography, thousands of tones of mullock sits upon the surface of the land and the Queens River, once stained brown from the tannin of native gums, is now clogged full of chemically poisoned top soil, washed away by heavy rains.

The effects of this type of environmental damage are irreversible. Once trees are cut down, topsoil erodes away. When silt is dumped into waterways, it devastates every nexus of life in that ecosystem. Today, huge volumes of silt are still being carried slowly downstream, until they reach the sea and impact marine environments. Indeed, the mining mistakes that were made in the past century will still be felt by the Australian environment for decades yet to come.

(Cool link KH!).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.