All Topics / Finance / Fixed or Variable

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

wondering, What is everyones preference at this point in time, fixed interest (how long?) or variable.?

I did like fixed, but the terms are so damn inflexible

Cheers.[sunny]

lifexperience

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

I still like variable, though I appreciate that many people have fixed for good reason.

Personally having done the calcs on the difference in payment levels over 20 year terms based on real past interest rate levels, it’s cheaper to leave them variable.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi LifeX,

The stats in recent years indicate that variable rate investors have come out in front.

But (FWIW) (isn’t there always a but) we have largely been in a downward trending cycle since the late eighties so I wonder if we will be saying the same thing in 20 years time.

For me I have a mixture of fixed and variable loans and with different expiry dates.

Suits me [exhappy]

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

With the housing bubble deflating economists are predicting that the reserve bank may even cut the interest rate. So at the moment variable seems more attractive to me. In an unsure market it’s best to hedge your bets with a split loan 50% fixed 50% variable. Sometimes even the experts get it wrong.

Liz Wilson

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Thanks for words everyone.

I would suggest splitting to hedge youre bets if you feel the need to fix.

Rob

The Mortgage Adviser
    [email protected]

Rob,
    ING bank made me join the loans on two IPs. Can I still split, What advantages would this give me.

I have currently have $10k extra repayments, by inflexible i was referring to things like offsets, LOC .

I wanted to grow the number of IPs I have at a fast rate, and feel restricted by the lack of extras tied in with Fixed Loans.

[square]
    lifexperience

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.