All Topics / General Property / USA and Canada – Interest Rates

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Henry_2Henry_2
    @henry_2

Hi guys,

I’ve got a bit of time and I’m keen to do some reading on the markets in the US and Canada. Anyone know of any links or search engines without to much advertising hype.
    I was read something in the paper about the comparitively low interest rates available. I was surprised to find that NZ now has the highest interest rates in the develped world with austalia a close second.

Henry

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

Do you wish to invest there??? In which case unless you have a large amount of money and are willing to travel and set up corporations, I would encourage you to buy at least one here so you can get a feeling for investing (rather than trying to chase low interest rates). Also travelling costs could kill any rental return.

Also you will have to set up a corpoation and will have to study tax agreements between the US and Aust, if you want to bring $$$ back to Aust.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Henry,

I would strongly suggest you establish yourself with a property within Australia first.

Owning property is not necessarily as simple as falling out of bed – there are a number of issues all along the journey – as such I think you are better learning these ropes in Australia.

Overseas investments add other variations relating to exchange rates, finance, tax, ownership, legalities, insurance, shifting money from one coountry to another, property management to name but a few.

Start slowly and build from there when you are established.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

In response to the following:

“have a large amount of money and are willing to travel and set up corporations”

No more money is necessarily needed to invest in the US or Canada than is required in Australia or New Zealand, the question is how do you leverage the investment if required, i.e. institutional funds, and obtain legal rights to acquire the property.

A “corporation” is not “required” or the best vehicle for acquiring and owning property. The most beneficial, flexible and cost adverse entity is a LLC [Limited Liability Company].

However, in order to establish an LLC – or any corporate entity in the US, you require a social security number – and therefore must be a permanent resident or citizen. Alternatively, if you have a trustworthy relationship with a resident or citizen, a partnership can be entered into in order to form the LLC.

The above assumes you need to leverage a bank or other lender in the US, otherwise, there are ways to acquire property in the US and Cananda – although I am not as familiar with Canadian law – if you finance by way of equity/assets in your country of origin, cash reserves, or a combination.

“I would encourage you to buy at least one here so you can get a feeling for investing”

Am I missing something, or did Henry say he is “not totally new to property”.

My point being, buying 1 or 100 properties in Australia/New Zealand will not necessarily be an advantage. The US real estate market is logistically quite different, in terms of tax and legal considerations, needless to say the size of the market and many economic variables that come into play.

“rather than trying to chase low interest rates”

True – there is a reason why every real estate investor in the world is not clammering to buy property in the US or Canada, eventhough these countries offer low to moderate interest rates.

“travelling costs could kill any rental return.”

Not necessarily true – this is why property managers were created. If the investment does not stack up, taking property management and other professional services [legal, accountant] into consideration, it would not be worth your time.

“you will have to set up a corpoation”

Incorrect.

“[you] will have to study tax agreements between the US and Aust”

Gaining an understanding of “double-tax agreements” should take no more than an hour or two, but of course, a qualified accountant would manage this aspect of any cross border transaction. Again, a cost that needs to be taken into consideration. A cross border accountant may also be required at the North American end.

My recommendation to anyone interested in investing in the US – in particular, is do not approach this market on a small scale when located offshore, i.e. pick up one [SFH] property, then plan on another several months or a year later.

This is even more prevalent if you have to establish legal means of acquiring the property and/or are not 100% confident the capital growth will significantly outperform an investment in your own country.

If this “small scale” strategy is preferred, the risks and costs can be significantly lower – counteracting the lower interest rates – if the same method is applied in Australia or New Zealand.

— Michael

Profile photo of Henry_2Henry_2
    @henry_2

Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. Raised a lot of issues that I would like to do some research on. I might raise the issue again some time when I have a some more specific questions. You sound like you are experienced in those markets and have shown that you have a wealth of knowledge.

Henry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.