All Topics / General Property / Wagerup, south of perth

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi guys anyone won here. It looks like the local economy is in for a boast accourding to The Australian 150 new jobs and up to 3000 indirectly according to the story, i’m sure not all these jobs will be in wagerup but what effect will this have on housing and in particular renatl and prices. Sorry if you were already on to this and now i’ve told the world.[angry2]

regards westan

Alcoa’s $1.5bn plan for Wagerup
    By Nigel Wilson
    May 07, 2004
    ONE of the world’s largest alumina smelters will emerge from a proposed $1.5 billion expansion of the Wagerup refinery in Western Australia.

The expansion, involving a third production train, would take Wagerup’s annual output from around 2.3 million tonnes to between 4.2 million and 4.5 million tonnes.

Alumina Limited and Alcoa of Australia, which combined form the Alcoa World Alumina and Chemicals alliance, said yesterday they were undertaking comprehensive public consultations about a third production unit at Wagerup, south of Perth.

The announcement came only a day after BHP Billiton disclosed approval had been given for a $US192 million ($263 million) program to expand the Worsley refinery, also south of Perth, by 250,000 tonnes a year to an annual capacity of 3.5 million tonnes by the second quarter of 2006.

Both expansions are driven by rapidly rising Chinese demand for alumina and aluminium.

AWAC said any Wagerup expansion would meet world-class health guidelines and address community expectations on health and the environment.

The Wagerup refinery in recent years has been subject to community, government and media scrutiny on emissions, particularly odour, even though the international alumina giant says its emission levels are well within national and international guidelines.

AWAC managing director Wayne Osborn said: “We will be conducting detailed health risk and environmental assessments to ensure the plant maintains its superior, world-class environmental performance.”

He added the expansion would be an opportunity to create more jobs, growth and business opportunities with about 150 permanent new Alcoa jobs and about 3000 direct and indirect jobs.

AWAC said the expansion would increase export revenues to about $17 billion over the life of the project.

Adding a third production unit to the Wagerup refinery is one of several options Alcoa is looking at worldwide to meet a predicted increase in world alumina demand towards the end of 2007. The company is currently spending $440 million on measures to lift the capacity of its Pinjara refinery by 600,000 tonnes a year to a nominal capacity of around 4.1 million tonnes.

Earlier this year Mr Osborn told an alumina and aluminium summit in Sydney that China was pivotal to the market for both alumina and aluminium.

Western Australia’s State Development minister, Clive Brown, said the proposed Wagerup expansion would have massive economic benefits for WA, adding more than $550 million a year in export earnings and boosting government royalties by $10 million a year.

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach
    Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Thanks Westan. I’ve never heard of it, but will get the map out!

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

PK..there was article in ‘The West’ a while back, think it stated that rental demands in the areas nearby would increase..

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Participant
    @purplekiss

Thanks Redwing, looked it up today (I’d never heard of it before). Turns out I would have driven through it many times on holidays going south.

Still, have to finish the deal we’re on first before I start looking again, otherwise hubby will get greyer. Just like to look into all these things, sometimes they aren’t for me, sometimes they are, but don’t know unless I look.

I believe if we miss one, they’ll always be another one.

PK

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Wagerup, is that near those dodgy suburbs of Calista and Parmelia at all? If it is or close by, they are seriously feral down that way. I didn’t think it was possible but I bought a car from down that way and dad pulled over to grab a wrench out to hang on to while driving…. Hmmm….

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Participant
    @purplekiss

Scremin,

No it’s further, just past Harvey. Don’t think you’d need the wrench. Just don’t blink as you drive through.

I think if the jobs happen in wagerup, the bigger towns around Wagerup might be the better options for IP’s but that’s just my uneducated opinion as I haven’t looked into it at all.

PK

Profile photo of madhunmadhun
    @madhun
    Originally posted by PurpleKiss:

Still, have to finish the deal we’re on first before I start looking again, otherwise hubby will get greyer. Just like to look into all these things, sometimes they aren’t for me, sometimes they are, but don’t know unless I look.

I believe if we miss one, they’ll always be another one.

PK

Hey Purple Kiss,

Not a bad philosophy to keep the emotions of a deal grounded, but it sounds a little like you’re limiting your portfolios growth. Is it possible you can look while hubby worries about the one in toe? or Vice Versa

Participant
    @redwing

Had to do a job in Yarloop a few months back…VERY small town, out of Harvey, the PUB still had it’s X-mas bash listed on the Blackboard

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Would NOT want to buy in Wagerup.
    I believe this is the third expansion since 1984, last was at a cost of around $800 m so I have been told.

I dont know whether anyone would like to live that close to an aluminuim refinery. Not a HEALTHY lifestyle.
    Pinjarra or Waroona may be far enough!!

Participant
    @redwing

Marisa..

I’d never want to buy next to some of those HUGE power lines in Beechboro ( Perth )either[evo]

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Redwing,

I understand what you are saying however I would not like to compare Beechboro with Wagerup, quite a bit different.

Caustic leach dams in Wagerup. Smelter belting out pollution. Periodic negative media coverage regarding same. A little risky for me.

I personally would not be comfortable buying in Wagerup for reasons stated above.
    I did however mention Pinjarra, Waroona which may be worth looking at due to this expansion. They are nearby….

I dont have a crystal ball, who knows, I only buy what I am comfortable with.

Cheers.[exhappy]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.