All Topics / General Property / Which would you rather????

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

thought i’d show you guys quickly why i voted for the property for 160K with only a 5% return AND a 7% CG rate expectancy.

simply based on the information…

Property @ $160 @ 5% rental = $153.84 a week in rental 0r $8000 an annum

based on an interest only rate of 6% and overhead weekly expenses of $60 per week or $3120 per annum

Total Cost $11,120 per the annum

but at a capital growth of 7% annual and compounding each year..

this is how the property would look like after 5 years.

1st year $171,200 an increase of $11,200
    2nd year $183,184 an increase of $23,184
    3rd year $196,006 an increase of $36,006
    4th year $209,727 an increase of $49,727
    5th year $224,408 an increase of $64,408

so you may have made a lost of $11,120 roughly each year, if all expenses and interest rates stay the same, but lets say if your able to claim a minimal 30% tax rebate on this of $3336 a year or so, this property has virtually looked after it self as its neutral geared, same follows each year, but after the 5 years, still this property has virtually cost you nothing, but being conservative on a 7% growth annually, you have actually made a whooping $64,408 and had to do absolutely nothing.

Feeling that the figures are too conservative and on relevant information on hand, that most of all know…

… property doubles in price on average every 7 years…

either way, you made $64,408 or could have doubled your returned and made a whooping $160,000 more and being even more conservative, if we were able to increase rentals every 6 months by $10, by year 4 this property would be cashflow positive (based on 11 second solution) that the loan could then rollover from interest only to principal and interest, in perfect timing and manner.

… not only has this property, given you plenty of tax incentives, rebates, and taxes breaks, it even looks after it self and provides you with +ve cashflow and guaranteed capital growth each year.

… with the cashflow positive property at spend 80K with a 10% return (minimal CG)

maybe no capital gain, very hard to increase rentals at the same demand as the negative geared one, and as such maybe a passive income of $50 a week… and very small tax rebate

… i honestly dont see you building up your wealth to quick and having large access to immediate equity and funds as such as the negative geared property…

… anyway, everybody has there own way of working out what is the best wealth creation plan for them, but just playing with that very basic IRR, you can see now, why a +ve cashflow property with no capital growth is a profit at a blinded loss.

Cheers,
    sis.

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi SIS,

I completely agree…..give me Capital Growth over “money in my pocket today” anytime…patience pays off remarkably well.

One of my favourite examples…..I bought an IP back in 1987 for 170K, I sold it in 2000 for 750K….now do the math on that one!!!! I am where I am today as a result of Capital Gain, not +CF investments. I am not tsk..tsking anyone who votes for +CF properties (especially ones that have good CG) but my sums have added up well, and patience is a definite must when neg gearing. If you want to make a quick buck….try the roulet table; I’ll stick to “buy and hold” (for now) and when the market picks up (as it eventually will) then I sell at a huge profit, and leave the +CF investors for dead!!!!!

Okay, sock it to me you +CF lovers; I can handle it!!!!!!!!! Just be gentle though….I bruise easy !!! [blink][blink]

Jo

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

SiS, I am fairly new to this so please bear with me if my questions seem very basic.

You made an assumption of 7% annual growth compounding, that is an average over time but it’s a fair bet to assume that 7% growth per year over the next 2-4 years is optimistic. Factor it a 7% annual growth averaged out over the last 10 years and I think you’ll find growth could just as easily be flat as opposed to increasing. Or am I missing something ?

You’ve also made an assumption interest rates remain the same. Surely that’s being overly optimistic considering the current economy and the banks increasin long term rates.

You stated you can raise the 160K properties rent by $10 every year, but you say you can’t do that to the 80k property. Why not ?

You’ve also assumed that the 80k property will not raise 7% per annum yet you use this figure for the 160k. Why wouldn’t they be the same ?

It seems to me your assumptions are geared to make the CF- property look a lot better. Using the same calculations and assumptions, but swapping the growth and rental increase from the 160k to the 80k, the cheaper house makes more sense.

Once again, I am just trying to better understand the calculations and why the assumptions were made. It will help me to better understand why people feel that CF- properties are a better investment than cf+.

Profile photo of kalonikaloni
    @kaloni

I will go tith A:
    Capital growth all the way

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    Originally posted by Baloo:

You made an assumption of 7% annual growth compounding, that is an average over time but it’s a fair bet to assume that 7% growth per year over the next 2-4 years is optimistic. Factor it a 7% annual growth averaged out over the last 10 years and I think you’ll find growth could just as easily be flat as opposed to increasing. Or am I missing something ?

Baloo,

As an example if you look at about page 102 in Steve McK’s book you’ll see that over the last twenty or so years 7% average property growth or higher is perfectly feasible.

Now naturally that IS the past and things may change…however in the period considered in the book there have been years where prices have stagnated – and even gone backwards.

Generally assuming a growing population, economic stability (within the normal boom/bust cycle) and no major shifts in culture, populations or housing technology, I believe you can take these figures as a useful indication of what is reasonable to expect in the future.

There are claims that 7% average growth has been recorded since 1066 (referring to the Domesday Book in the UK as the first comnprehensive audit of British wealth) – however I’ve never been able to find source docs to verify this :)

A few authors put the figure (but not the backing evidence) in their books however.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

Thanks Acey, I can live with that, but then surely we can apply the 7% figure to the 80k property as well.

I am more trying to understand why there is a difference in assumptions in SiS’s calculations between the two properties.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Guys

of course the lower returning home with the capital growth is better, thats obvious no arguement, what i’m saying is the question is faulty,
    It’s like me saying which is better a cash positive property making 10% return and 7% capital growth or a negative geared property making 5% capital growth, obviously the first property will be the better home to invest in. The homes i think you should be buying are cash positive and have capital growth, you don’t have to have growth or cash flow, you can have both.. Having said that i’d much rather a cash pos. home with growth than one without cash flow
    wouldn’t you agree ???

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of CreminCremin
    Participant
    @cremin

“(and before anyone gets narky….there is no offense or malice intended. The question is raised as a mere point of interest, entering into the debate is by personal choice only. The author hereby accepts no responsibility for relationship break-ups, injuries or loss of any kind.) LOL “

Ha ha nice one monopoly, i think i should have included the above in my last post.

Work smarter, not harder!.

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

“the question is faulty”.. “you don’t have to have growth or cash flow, you can have both”

— The question assumes property will not generate capital growth over the desired holding period.

It is true that all property will appreciate in value over time, but there are locations where this cycle stagnates or is reversed for a period of time, due to economic or other reasons.

I am sure no-one will argue that a negative geared property generating 5% CG is a better investment than one offering 10% return and 7% CG.

Although, it is not often you will find a positive geared property outperforming a negative geared in terms of capital growth – this should be a red flag.

My preference for negative geared property is based on a short-term holding period [at times no more than a few hours, other times a year or more] and high capital growth rate.

“Demand” is the driving factor behind these transactions. “Due diligence” and understanding the market is the key to success.

My point being, if there is too much focus on positive cash flow and holding long-term, often the most lucrative investments are being overlooked – as is the ability to create true wealth – real estate investment is all about “leverage”.

[“calculated”] Risk = Reward

— Michael

@westan

Hi Michael

it is actually quite common to find high yeilding properties that outperform the so called capital growth areas.

this is posible because a lot of smaller areas are/have been undervalued for a long time and overlooked.

What we have been seeing at the cheaper end of the market is it is rising at about the same rate as the middle of the market so if a home for 100k rises 20k we are seeing the cheaper end say 70k move 20k also. so as a % return it actually outperforms the higher priced property

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Monopoly, I can’t believe you can ask such an obviously offensive and insensitive question.
    Watch yourself GIRL !!

@westan

Hi Guys

sorry if i’ve offended anyone, i just see this as good robust discussion, nothing personal intended. we all have the right to ask whatever we like. Bring on the questions this discussion is great. I only wanted to make the point that just because in Monopoly’s example the negative geared property worked out the better buy it does not mean that negative gearing is the best option. Clearly capital growth will set you up for ever.
    regards westan

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Hello Westan

RE: “What we have been seeing at the cheaper end of the market is it is rising at about the same rate as the middle of the market so if a home for 100k rises 20k we are seeing the cheaper end say 70k move 20k also. so as a % return it actually outperforms the higher priced property”

— I certainly agree, although I do not deal in SFH’s this is a trend we have also identified in New Zealand at this time, in terms of land values.

You are correct, one should not focus on buying the more expensive property – from an investment perspective – instead purchase the property which demonstrates the highest capital growth over a defined period.

RE: “it is actually quite common to find high yeilding properties that outperform the so called capital growth areas…

this is posible because a lot of smaller areas are/have been undervalued for a long time and overlooked”

— The yield is generally a reflection of the location combined with the properties net worth. I do not doubt that in some “overlooked” markets the yield is outperforming CG.

But my point was, it is not often a positive geared property will outperform a negative geared – if the buyer has done his/her homework.

Generally a negative geared property is reliant upon capital growth in order to demonstrate a ROR. This rate should clearly outperform potential yields + CG [+ve geared property], or it may not be a good investment.

— Michael

@monopoly
    Originally posted by WallFlower:

Monopoly, I can’t believe you can ask such an obviously offensive and insensitive question.
    Watch yourself GIRL !!

Hi Wallflower,

I am somewhat confused as to how my question could be perceived as either offensive and/or insensitive, however, in the event that anyone took it as such…..

I wish to apologise to anyone who may have been offended by my question, and I would like to assure you that its intent and purpose was the direct result of my inexplicable curiousity, born in the interest of generating discussion.

Please forgive any inappropriateness on my part. [blush2][blush2]

Jo

Profile photo of sidelinesideline
    @sideline

if…in the end, you reach your goal, does the path really matter?????[buz2]

pete

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I didn’t think it was insensitive in the slightest. I was trying to figure out if wallpaper was being ironic or something? nevertheless i am working on the come-back from hell, complete with calculations. just so I can make a fair comparison, Could you tell me what the rent was per week on the property back in 1987? and what it is now? Or was it your own home so therefore no income whatsoever and no tax benefits?

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

@monopoly
    Originally posted by MiniMogul:

I didn’t think it was insensitive in the slightest. I was trying to figure out if wallpaper was being ironic or something? nevertheless i am working on the come-back from hell, complete with calculations. just so I can make a fair comparison, Could you tell me what the rent was per week on the property back in 1987? and what it is now? Or was it your own home so therefore no income whatsoever and no tax benefits?

Mini,
    I believe Wallflower was indeed joking; she and I have established this, as I myself was unsure when I read her post. That is the problem with written communication, too often, people can misinterpret the meanings of very innocent messages.
    To answer your question, the rent for the property back in 1987 was $150 p/w and as I said, I sold it in 2000, at which time the rent was $450 p/w.
    If you are working on your come-back from hell involving the figures I have just given you, I will be more than happy to oblige…the rental return back in 1987 was 4.58% and in 2000 (if you are working on the cost-base figure of 170K) is 13.76% and on the 750K value, a meesely 3.12%

Jo

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.