All Topics / Help Needed! / Is No Bath A Problem?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

I am looking at buying a 3 b/r house has 2 showers but no bath. Has anyone got any thoughts if this could be a problem finding a tenant. The house has been renovated and is in walking distance to shops,parks etc.
    Thanks
    Robo

Profile photo of DramDram
    @dram

Possibly….depends on the type of tenants you want to attract. Students or singles probably have no need for a bath but a family with young children will almost certainly want one.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Depends on the age of the children. We have a family home with no bath in it and it’s always rented out easily, but usally to families with older children ie: 7 and over.

You could check out the price of just changing one of the showers to one of those “hip baths/ showers”. I’m not sure what they are called but the floor of the shower comes up the sides to create a small sitting bath, and you stand in it for the shower. It’s suitable for small kids without having to change the whole bathroom.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Robo,

Very good advice from PurpleKiss (as usual) :) It’s a real pity ythat the former owners didn;t reno it by including a bath- particularly given that there are 2 showers! [jealous]

When going to buy a place, it is probably the first questoin I ask- “does it have a bath?” For me, it’s an emotional thing. I lived in a (rented) house for 12 years with no bath, and we all felt a bit sad about it. Moving to my new place, one of the best things about it was the bath! Not that I ever have one, but it’s still there :) Renters, will, of course, take your house with no bath probably as easily as they would take one with a bath, if the features of the house are nice. But it might be worthwhile you chucking a bath into one of the shower rooms, just to appease yourself.

kay henry

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

If you did a survey what do you think the result would be, I think more tham 80% would be in favour of a bath.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Robo,

Certainly younger families with kids in tow would almost demand a bath. Whereas it is possible lots of singles or students or young marrieds etc may be perfectly comfortable w/o a bath.

I would seek the counsel of a local PM (not from the selling agency) to find out what the demographics of typical tenants in the area is. Ask them how difficult it is to rent a property in the area without a bath and what effect, if any, this has on the rental returns.

Depending upon what your research reveals this will determine your course of action. Locality wise the property sounds OK – and maybe the lack of bath could be a bargaining chip for you to use in your potential negotiations.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

Hi
    “Baths” are space takers that southerners like.
    As said before if your property is in the realms of attracting young families then you need to improvise at minimal cost. Check with Property Managers in the area.

If the property is in the tropics you have won the lottery. The closest thing here is a spa – outdoors.
    All my children were “shower” reared. In most places had a small wash bowl for their rubber duckies bath toys bought by rellies – bless em from down south to float in !!!
    Elderly lady from England who is visiting was astounded – not bath ??? And a big ceiling fan in the bathroom ??? The shower & fan are a blessing.

[biggrin]

Regards

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile photo of MiloMiloMiloMilo
    @milomilo

Hi,

I bought an IP (unit) in Southport (Gold Coast) a year ago. It’s a 4 year old, 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 balcony and 2 garage space unit. Neither bathroom has a bathtub. Only showers. No problems with tenants. Tenants are on a waiting list for units in our block!

Thanks

Milo

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Oooh, I love to have a bath – long hot soak in the tub – get lots of reading done that way too – although v messy when drop the book in the water[blush2]

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

hehe Mel- you’re funny :) On the rare occasion I have a bath, I read the newspaper there. It ends up like papier mache- I may as well cover balloons in the wet paper and make masks like we did as kids :)

robo, did oyu end up buying that place?

kay henry

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

4 townhouses in kingston no baths all rented easily. 22yo student, young couple, 62yo lady and a 53yo teacher. All cool, and good tenants. Sister buying the 5th in block of 8. Who says im not a megalomaniac.!! With my improvements on the property the rents have jumped $40-50/wk rent in a few months.

Happy, yep. So go buy your house and be glad its unique in some way.

DD

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

A lot of people like the idea of a bath – whether it is used is another matter totally – young children – absolutely. (speaking from experience that ip has a bath, and ppr doesn’t, come to think of it, ip has dlug, and i haven’t….doh)

other replies mention pricing small bath for one of the showers – this makes a lot of sense as it will overcome any resistance from prospective tenants with small children.

however, when (and not if) rental supply exceeds demand it may be this little thing that keeps your rented at the expence of others.

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Kay Henry,
    Yes we did buy the house exchanged yesterday. If it becomes a problem I will change it around. Prefer to rent it to couples or singles anyway. I have little kids so know how they trash a house. Any way I worked it out I havn’t had a bath for 10 years.Sorry I forgot I had a spa bath on my honeymoon. [cap]
    Thanks for all the opinions everyone.
    Robo

http://www.bestclad.com.au

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.