All Topics / Help Needed! / Sydney – where to invest

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Just saw a thread for Perth – where to invest which was very informative; would like to throw the same challenge for Sydney.

Any takers?

I’ll start; am looking at Penrith region.

lee

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Why Penrith?

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Question for Sydney is when, not where.

Profile photo of NEWGENNEWGEN
    Participant
    @newgen
    Originally posted by Bionic Beer Gut:

Why Penrith?

It should be a high growth area.. check the building approvals for it :) It will probably be heading in the same direction as Parramatta. These areas are doing well mainly because most people can’t afford houses closer to the CBD and they’re basically satellite cities with all the conveniences you need.

iwsctws, the answer to your question relies on your budget too :) I’m looking at purchasing my 3rd property within the next few months. The areas I’m looking into include Redfern and the suburbs between Newtown and Stanmore.

Profile photo of wejons1wejons1
    @wejons1

why not wollongong

same (roughly) distance/time to cbd as penrith, yet you have the benefit of some great beaches and views

@wejons1

why not wollongong

same (roughly) distance/time to cbd as penrith, yet you have the benefit of some great beaches and views

Profile photo of iwsctwsiwsctws
    @iwsctws

Thanks for the replies….seems everyone is holding their cards close….alternatively they think Sydney is not worth buying at the moment??

Newgen, i like Redfern myself (and Surry Hills) but with my budget of 250K, am probably looking at a hole….

What can i get in Wollongong, i wonder????

lee

@wejons1

depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay for and what sort of rent you are wanting??

@iwsctws

Sounds like you know Wollongong very well, what’s the popularity of apartments like? Are they easily rented out? (and we are not talking about holiday rentals either).

i’ve got 200-250K to invest.

Cheers!

lee

@wejons1

I live there/here.

Lots of apartments/units going up – in the price range of 350k up tho.

There are older units around the 200-250 market.

The uni students are a big market here. More and more people are commuting to sydney as well.

Like all places there are some good and bad places to invest.

My humble opinion, if you were going to go for apartment/unit, get one close to the uni, they rent out easily.

There are a lot of places to rent, but if it is priced right and is in good condition, then you wont have any issue in renting it out.

@iwsctws

Gee, thanks!

Wollongong ah ! Me thinks you live in a beautiful part of NSW; wouldn’t mind living there myself if not for the long commute to Sydney….

Nothing beats local knowledge; but at 350K a pop, sounds like Syndey prices to me…

Cheers!

lee

@wejons1

they are the new ones and plenty are going up

show me a unit in sydney that is 2 minutes walk from the beach and 5 minutes walk to the cbd that is 350k lol

@salubrious

Blue Mountains is going to fly

@iwsctws

Dear Bionic Beer Gut,

May sound like a silly question but gonna ask anyhow; Blue Mountain folks; where do they commute to work (seeing there isn’t much work up the mountain???) COuld it be (spluttter !!!) Penrith????

lee

@iwsctws

Dear Bionic Beer Gut,

May sound like a silly question but gonna ask anyhow; Blue Mountain folks; where do they commute to work (seeing there isn’t much work up the mountain???) COuld it be (spluttter !!!) Penrith????

lee

@salubrious
    Originally posted by iwsctws:

Dear Bionic Beer Gut,

lee

Most work in the city, my folks live at Lapstone which is the first town as you enter the Blue Mountains. Reasons to live there? 3 Stops to Sydney by train (50 min) 2 min walk to station (most platforms are close and handy in BM) cheaper insurance etc due to country rates.

No scum! Fresh air, fantastic TV reception and we get to watch the city people suck smog from our verhanda’s![blink]

@salubrious
    Originally posted by iwsctws:

Dear Bionic Beer Gut,

lee

If you think Penrith is busting at the seams for jobs then check australian job search, it aint the greatest and I dont understand how you would make the assumption that mountain people would want to work in Penrith? There are a lot of high profile people who live there and dont neccessarily need to work in such an area due to ease of transportation.

It can take less time to get to central from the mountains than what it takes from Liverpool or Castle Hill etc

Its a sleeper, forget Penrith

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.