All Topics / Forum Frolic / Name the ranking

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

A while ago there was a post about the stars and ranking which comes with the number of posts that you’ve made.

I’d like to invite you to submit some ideas for various level names and also the number of posts they have to make to earn their status.

At the moment it’s:

New Forum Contributor: 0 – 19 Posts
    Infrequent Contributor: 20 – 59
    Occassional Contributor: 60 – 199
    Frequent Contributor: 200 – 599
    Valued Forum Contributor: 600 – 999
    Forum Superstar!: 1000+

I’m open to suggestions…

[biggrin]

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Steve,

I am not sure why you would listen to the voice of 1 newbie contributor when everyone else in that post basically disagreed with what the new contributor suggested, but anyway, I suppose minority views must have merit! [biggrin]

I reckon remove the stars altogether. People either (1) don’t give a toss about notions of stars (2) resent other people’s stars (3) just go for a gazillion stars and never really say anything. I think the majority of people on here are in the first category, and stars mean nothing to them. Certainly, I think there is a danger in *some* people thinking that stars have something to do with meritorious investing. But I think mostly that stars distract people from separating decent, sound advice from crazy advice, and that’s a bit of a worry.

What about this?

Doesn’t say much: 0 – 19 Posts

Speaks slowly: 20 – 59

Probably owns 10+ IP’s but doesn’t need to yell about it: 60 – 199

Wordy: 200 – 599

Quite wordy: 600 – 999

Bud, sometimes silence is golden: 1000+

[goatee]

kay henry

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Kay,

oh no, dont think that… the stars are very important…

Hi Steve,

with how the stars are worked, maybe it would be a good idea, to extend the number of stars available, i mean, if you think about it… if someone posts about 10 post a day, with in a year they will have accumulated around 3650 posts…

… maybe a good idea is to have, more stars, or more postings for each coloured star…

eg.

0 – 100
    101 – 500
    501 – 1000
    1001 – 2500
    2501 – 5000
    5000 – 10000
    10000+

this might sound like alot of posting, but on another forum board where i do a little contribution, this is roughly how there stars and posters are ranked… and quite interestingly there are many between the 5000 – 10000 and also in the 10000+ this forum board has been around for a few good years, but over time, people, who regulary talk and give advice on these forum boards, quickly accumalte posts of large numbers…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Steve,

I reckon remove the stars altogether. People either (1) don’t give a toss about notions of stars (2) resent other people’s stars (3) just go for a gazillion stars and never really say anything. I think the majority of people on here are in the first category, and stars mean nothing to them. Certainly, I think there is a danger in *some* people thinking that stars have something to do with meritorious investing. But I think mostly that stars distract people from separating decent, sound advice from crazy advice, and that’s a bit of a worry.

kay henry

I’m with Kay on this one.

Judi (category 1)

Profile photo of judijudi
    @judi

Or maybe I’m just jealous. Afterall, I’ve only got 2 measly stars and, what’s more, they’re green [puke]

On to a much more important subject, how do you get your portrait to appear next to your name like you guys have?

Judi [eh]

Profile photo of p0sitiveCasHfl0wp0sitiveCasHfl0w
    @p0sitivecashfl0w

Hi Judi,

When you edit your member profile you can add whats called an “avatar”. Just select which one you would like to appear!

Cheers,

Jay

You must stay pOsitive
    …then the cAsHfl0w will come!

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

I won’t say it can’t be done… but the admin function I see only has 6 options.

Personally, I like the stars as a symbol of participation. I don’t think that it represents real estate knowledge or experience.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

I also agree with Kay.
    I don’t care about the stars, don’t see a need for them.

But if they make people happy- by all means, fight for them!

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Stars dont bother me.Some people only post to get stars.Strange I think.I,m here because i,m genuinely interested in making money via positive cashflow real estate.The stars do have some relationship as to how devoted someone is to the forum but that doesnt mean they know a lot.But then it doesnt really matter how much you know because in my short time on the forum I have found that a lot of people are just plain ignorant and it wouldnt matter if you gave them the best advice in the world it wouldnt be appreciated.All they want to do is knock you for your effort.
    Then there are the ones who send you a nice thankyou email for your words.
    They make it all worthwhile.
    To all you guys who support me.Thanks for your support.Its great to be part of team.
    We will work together and achieve great things.
    Keep up the great work Steve and crew.
    Whens the next chapter of 0-130 coming out.
    Cant wait to read it.
    Russ.

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

Steve and fellow forumites
    Names, stars, titles in essence mean very little/
    It is the content of the post that one learns from.We could all be categorised as Invester Person No. 1,2,3-3000 it makes no difference.
    The only ones with authority are the moderators to vet and determine that postings are within the spirit of the guidelines set.

Regards

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Ditto see no point in stars. Let the moderators be starred perhaps so they are clearly set apart.

As for titles by level of contribution, again not really needed. The number is there – the title isn’t adding anything.

If you do wish to keep titles keep them neutral in tone & not misleading people into associating the poster’s title with their level of experience. Haven’t spent any time thinking up titles – too busy thinking up investment strategies.

I don’t mind terms like ‘new poster’, ‘infrequent poster’, ‘regular poster’, ‘frequent poster’ as the categories. It insinuates nothing other than the number of posts made.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Steve,

I am not sure why you would listen to the voice of 1 newbie contributor when everyone else in that post basically disagreed with what the new contributor suggested, but anyway, I suppose minority views must have merit! [biggrin]

[goatee]

kay henry

Stars cna also form prejudice justb like this comment. being labelled a newbie can make one feel like an outsider.

Why do we need a points table? This can add a phycological effect to the readers, like more stars, more RE brains less stars less RE brains.

Just because you are a newbie does not go to say you are niave. It may just mean you have never used google before and found Steves site, like I did!

[blink]

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

‘Newbie’ is a thing of the past!

This was one of the reasons for changing the titles.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Good on you Steve, no more racism!

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Dear All,

I was away a couple days and we got a new topic.

Personally I don’t care about the number of STARS I got. Why can’t we just remove those STARS and let those that have experiences and knowledge speak for themself.

If you are using the forum long enough and read most of the things that posts here then you be able to determine who got a lot of experiences and knowledge in property investing.

I spend a lot of time reading other posts and feel that if I have new ideas to contribute then I will posts.

When I get bored then I will be using forum frolic that’s what it is for.

So Steve if you remove all the STARS and post counts then there will be no more complains about this useless STARS count.

I will support those who agree to remove STARS.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

I certainly never posted for stars, they didn’t even have them when I started here.

Like the e-bay thing where the longer you have been there and the more deals you’ve done with positive feedback the better, you get your little stars. i think that’s fine.

I am proud of my stars because i know how many hours of reading, writing and learning it took me to get there. It’s my history, if you like.
    If people are threatened by that making them feel
    …useless? racist? outsider? misleading?
    jealous? just to pick up some words from this thread, that says everything about them –
    not me.

Mini

NZ Bird Dogs. SOLD OUT!

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Kay I like you already and its my first night. Minimogul kept bugging me to join so here I am.

Hope a 42yo man with a great wife, 2 kids and a heap of property experience isnt too much to cope with.

DD – ask mini about the handle.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

OK steve

i like the stars.

now i think all stars/posting earned in “forum fun” should be removed immediately. Boy that would upset some. [laughing]

bonus points should be awarded for length of time on the forum and people who post just to get more stars should be penalized, maybe we can have a forum stocks, like in medievil days[medieval]. If you are doing posting just to increase your stars and get caught you are sent to a public place of ridicule.[thumbsupanim], the rest of the forum community can insult and taunt these people. yer i’m really getting into this idea.

or else we can just leave it as it is.
    regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I like the fact that you can determine regular Posters on the forum and not just the ‘drop ins’ or ‘Lurkers’

How many times does someone post once and then dissapear, i’m all for helping each other, and those of us here for a while have seen the forum used as other than an area to help each other..

I’ve learnt a great deal from regular forum posters and some Newbies also, however, i give more credence to someone i’ve seen post helpfull info to others with no benefit to themselves..that’s just me[biggrin]

REDWING

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Steve wrote:

New Forum Contributor: 0 – 19 Posts
    Infrequent Contributor: 20 – 59
    Occassional Contributor: 60 – 199
    Frequent Contributor: 200 – 599
    Valued Forum Contributor: 600 – 999
    Forum Superstar!: 1000+

The first four are fine. The last two equate quantity with quality, which is not always so.

Thus for the last two I would suggest:

Very Frequent Forum Contributor 600-999
    Addicted poster: 1000+

To really split hairs, it should be noted that ‘infrequent contributor’ or ‘frequent contributor’ tells little about the posters’s behaviour. An ‘infrequent poster’ could either be a long-standing but inactive member, or alternatively a newish but prolific poster.

Thus the word ‘prolific’ is a more accurate description than ‘frequent’. The best measure of frequency is average posts per day (since the member first registered).

Peter

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.