All Topics / General Property / Relocatable Homes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Rumour has it up qld way the banana benders cut old houses off at the stumps, put them in holding yards, then sell them

Does anyone have any experience, or any advice regarding time, cost, potential pitfalls?

All help much appreciated[biggrin]

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

If you look around you can pick up houses for free! Its the transport and relocation process that’s a killer! Reconnection of plumbing, power site cost etc.

I know what your thinking, cheap as chips dirt, free house with 3 beds etc! It doesn’t stack up, I have mulled over the numbers.

But then again, maybe I dont have a clue what your thinking and you just want a shack to throw your line from!

Cost can vary from 15 to 30k depending on distance. You can find these houses on ebay, trading post etc.

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>If you look around you can pick up houses for free! Its the transport and relocation process that’s a killer! Reconnection of plumbing, power site cost etc.<<

I happen to disagree with you there Mysta.

When one wants to shift a house one has to be rather selective.

You don’t accept a house just because it is free. There is a reason for that house being free, the reason being that in all likelyhood the house is too old to be any good.

What is the good of shifting an old house if it is unsaleable ?

If I were to want to do such a project I would be looking for a house which is a modern house i.e. not more than say 20 years old.

One quick way to judge is to see whether the house has aluminium windows. Also a garden tap often carries a year stamped on it so that will also help you to decide the age of the house.

A brick house of course isn’t suitable as it cannot be shifted.

Yes, it does cost perhaps $ 30,000 to shift and thence you need to get a bricklayer in, and a painter and a carpenter and possibly a rooftiler and certainly a plumber.

So the total cost is going to be sizeable.

However, it gives you the opportunity to get a lot more bang for your money than having a new house built. If you are smart you only select a house if it is quite large.

Pitfalls ?

Plenty. For one thing, is the housemover experienced or will he take your money and leave the house sitting on the road halfway between the place where it came from and where you want it to go.

Or he may damage the house during transport and the risk is yours !!

Other pitfalls are that not every house is suitable to be shifted and then there is the fact that one also needs council approval.

It definitely is a good way to get value for your money though it isn’t easy to find a suitable house.

I would expect to pay up to $ 7,000 but only for a good house !!!

Pisces

Profile photo of spongefingersspongefingers
    @spongefingers

Yes, us ‘banana benders’ on occasion do something like that.
    Houses aren’t exactly ‘cut’ off at the stumps.
    Are you in QLD? Costs can be way less than mysta suggests but there are many factors to consider. Most councils will require a bond, could be up to 20K, until the work is complete. Most will have to inspect an approve the house prior to the move.
    Time involves not only the council approvals, but locating a suitable house and the removalists timeframes, traffic control etc etc,.
    If approached properly it can be very rewarding. And yes the numbers can stack up, very favourably, anyone who says they can’t hasn’t done their homework.

@salubrious
    Originally posted by Pisces:

>>If you look around you can pick up houses for free! Its the transport and relocation process that’s a killer! Reconnection of plumbing, power site cost etc.<<

I happen to disagree with you there Mysta.

“Gee that’s a surprise”

When one wants to shift a house one has to be rather selective.

You don’t accept a house just because it is free. There is a reason for that house being free, the reason being that in all likelyhood the house is too old to be any good.

“Or perhaps the old fibro place at Potts Point would be worth more if it was replaced by a 50 square double brick home”

What is the good of shifting an old house if it is unsaleable ?

“What makes you think they are unusable”?

“Its cheaper to give it away than to pay the demolish/removal fee’s”

If I were to want to do such a project I woulbe looking for a house which is a modern house i.e. not more than say 20 years old.

One quick way to judge is to see whether the house has aluminium windows. Also a garden tap often carries a year stamped on it so that will also help you to decide the age of the house.

A brick house of course isn’t suitable as it cannot be shifted.

Yes, it does cost perhaps $ 30,000 to shift and thence you need to get a bricklayer in, and a painter and a carpenter and possibly a rooftiler and certainly a plumber.

So the total cost is going to be sizeable.

However, it gives you the opportunity to get a lot more bang for your money than having a new house built. If you are smart you only select a house if it is quite large.

Pitfalls ?

Plenty. For one thing, is the housemover experienced or will he take your momey and leave the house sitting on the road halfway between the place where it came from and where you want it to go.

Or he may damage the house during transport and the risk is yours !!

Other pitfalls are that not every house is suitable to be shifted and then there is the fact that one also needs council approval.

It definitely is a good way to get value for your money though it isn’t easy to find a suitable house.

I would expect to pay up to $ 7,000 but only for a good house !!!

Pisces

If you want something modern your better off going kit or relocatable, but then I am just a common builder with no common sense

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

Profile photo of spongefingersspongefingers
    @spongefingers

I didn’t say you had no common sense I just said you hadn’t done the numbers correctly/seriously or simply hadn’t done enough homework, certainly from a QLD perspective. Premium prices are paid for authentic well restored QLDers.

@salubrious

No offense taken my freind, just talking from a Sydney stand point tis all[biggrin]

Last person that I had spoken to on the topic had a few quotes, it was a 3 bed gable roof home with Fibro walls and timber windows. It was transported about 100k into Sydneys Blue Mountains. Cheapest quote was for cash @ 14k

We completed some of the required work opon relocation. New gutters/Cladding for walls etc

Overall it was quite a smooth process. The house was also a freebie and very structurally sound which tends to blow some peoples theories right out the aluminium window…[blush2]

@salubrious
    Originally posted by spongefingers:

I didn’t say you had no common sense I just said you hadn’t done the numbers correctly/seriously or simply hadn’t done enough homework, certainly from a QLD perspective. Premium prices are paid for authentic well restored QLDers.

None taken, but tell me, where did wrappack mention a request for information about “authentic well restored QLDers”?

I did not state that you could get a “authentic well restored QLDer” for free either[blush2]

I stated what I had seen and heard with my very own ears and my very own eyes from first hand experience[blink]

I also didnt state that you said that “i had no common sense”[puke]

Have a good day to you all…

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I have just bought a development site with a house that may be relocatable on it. I was just going to bulldoze it till I reasd this topic. I saw on TV yesterday some guys sliding a house to a position taht allowed it to be retained. another option for me is to take it to a nearby vacant block and maybe get a CF+ property as a result. What bothers me though would be council attitudes to these old homes being put there – are they generally receptive to it? There is no way they would allow it in say a new estate – but what criteria are you being judged on?

Extensive list of new Perth property available for sale.

Alternatively, become a joint venture partner in one of our property development partnerships – contact me to find out why our developments are unique. John – 0419 198 856

@salubrious

It just depends on the covenants!

Profile photo of wrappackwrappack
    @wrappack

Many thanks for your replies.

My idea (or as baldrick would say, my cunning plan, but I digress) is to get some large acreage (or mid size acreage), then to subdivide into smaller acreages (possibly with dual occupancies).

Then, move multiple properties (long term, would just be doing one at a time) to rent out.

As for type/size, it would come down to the largest size available and transportable (dont like the idea of chopping the house in two and rejoining!). I assume the best I would be able to get would be three bed 1 bath.

I assume an authentic restored queenslander would be a large premium over a standard house.

ps found a web site drakehomes.com.au , but was quite taken aback at the $ they charge 40k+ (just for house and moving, not reconnections

I would try to get council permission, and after it is approved, then try to source the house, and shift it.

Am I a qlder? Not really, have only spent a week of my life up there, and was drunk as a skunk the whole time (schoolies week)

Many thanks for your continued appreciation!

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

I think it all depends on where you live.Here in WA you can buy a block of land for as little as nothing,and then put a transported home on it.
    Some areas the blocks are $1000 some $2000.Depends on area.If you get an old house in perth and move it 100kms to a 5 acre block($30 000)and house($30 000) and plumbing etc ($10 000)you are still in front by 30-80k.Most hobby farms sell between 100-180k with old farm houses so you would be well in front.
    We saw a house moved in to Dongara a while ago.The owners transported from their farm I think.They put a big verandah around three sides and a shed and carport.All up cost with price of block $90k.It is comparable to properties selling for 190k.So they are a 100k in front.
    Most people wouldnt go to the trouble because they want a new home.But hey once you walk through the front door its secondhand.
    Russ.[biggrin]

@salubrious

This sounds like an idea Russ, maybe we should talk!

We are all made from Stars

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Travelling up to Gympie last year, we saw a paddock of beautiful old Queenslanders waiting for homes.

Look in the yellow pages too, under house movers/relocation services and make a few enquiries.

We’ve looked at several houses for relocation, did our costings, etc. $20,000 seemed to be the price, that was not interstate of course. You have to look at the width of the house because most would have to be “chopped in half” because they are simply too wide to transport. Look at their potential, roofing, walls, asbestos?, stumps, cladding, etc. Check with the council as to their requirements and talk to a builder.

When houses are advertised free, the owners are usually wanting the block cleared to rebuild otherwise they have the cost of removal themselves, bulldozing, dump fees, etc. Very costly.

Still one of our goals is to relocate a house when builder son has less work!! Hopefully onto our acres as a second residence.

Anna

@salubrious

Gee, I dont think Pisces would agree with your view….[blink]

We are all made from Stars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.