All Topics / Finance / Deposit Amount

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Native_MetaLNative_MetaL
    @native_metal

Hi Guys
    I have heard allot of people talk about the amount of deposit they think is best for purchasing an investment property

some say 10%.
    others say 20%.
    I have also heard people talk about no money down at all.

My question is what is the ideal deposit amount to use for a +cf investor?

I know that using %10 will attract mortgage insurance but is this problem?
    And if so why?

What advantage’s if any, are there in using a 20% deposit?

Thank you [strum][whistle]

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Native Metal,

The key advantage of using a 20% deposit is that you do not have to pay mortgage insurance which is adds an extra 1-2% to purchasing, stamp duty and mortgage costs.

The disadvantage is that you use up more of your available equity with each purchase – whereas a 10% (or less) deposit maximises your leveraging capacity.

Consider the following – you have $100K in equity and find a number of properties all worth $100K.

To demonstrate the leveraging capacity (and ignoring purchasing costs to keep the maths simple for me) of 10% verse 20% deposits.

If you were to put 20% deposits in you would be able to buy 5 properties.

If on the other hand you were prepared to use a 10% deposit each time you could buy 10 of the same properties.

Obviously a very simplistic example and there are other issues to be considered; LMI availabity, purchasing costs, your mindset, serviceability issues and so on. BUT Hopefully this has demonstrated an advantage of using a 10% deposit against the use of a 20% deposit.

By way of an example we have used a bit of both, initially 20%, then 10% and now back to 20% as we have heaps of equity up our sleeves.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

I think 5% is ideal… But in the end it comes down to your comfort level.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Lucifer,

Using 5% extends your leveraging capcity even further.

At 5% you could (simplistically) buy 20 properties – LMI may be a problem depending on where you bought and how much they were each worth.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Lucifer,

There is no ideal level. It all depends on your situation, strategy & what you’re buying.

The less you pay the further your money goes…but the more highly leveraqed you are & at greater risk of external factors such as interest rate changes & changes in government legislation.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.