All Topics / Legal & Accounting / rent to mate while renovating

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of alias1alias1
    Participant
    @alias1

I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas, suggestions. I currently have a 2br unit which i could rent out that would cover most cost. What my idea is to buy a house that needs renovating, move into it with my mate (who happens to be a carpenter by trade) and do the place up add value, if i had a formal tenancy agreement would i be able to claim some of the renovation materials ?
    Thanks in advace

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Alias,

You could only depreciate the work you could not claim an outright deduction.

Repairs are precisely that repairs – any improvements move the work into renovations sphere and make them eligible for depreciation only.

You would howver be eligible to claim a proportion of the other costs – the proportion being determined in relation to the amount of space your tenant used compared to yours.

You would also have to declare the income.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of alias1alias1
    Participant
    @alias1

thanks for that my primary goal to add value then revalue etc but seeing what my options are

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.