All Topics / General Property / Concrete Driveway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

I have been doing a renovation and I’m stuck on the driveway. The driveway has cracks in it. They are not bad cracks but they look bad. I was wondering if anyone knows of a product that can poured or whatever on top of the drive to cover the tell tale signs of age.

Regards
    Rebecca2

Beck.
    I’m doing it. You learn faster when you do it.

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Rebecca,

I have the same problem. I talked to a neighbour who got his cracked and old driveway stencilled with an acrylic finish. Unfortunately it looked good for a while but started to open up where the cracks were in the original concrete.

It still looks better than the old finish though.

Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

Hey Qwtery,
    I had a quote to do the colour stencil stuff. They guy wasnt too sure what would happen to the cracks though. [withstupid] Made me feel real encouraged about using his services.

Do you remember that product from years ago? I think it was called pebble mix or something?
    I was thinking if there was something on the market like this today, it may make good alternative to the plain paint colours. Seeming we seem to be going into the direction of lifestyle homes, minimalist,etc.[wink2]

Regards
    Rebecca2

Beck.

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Rbecca2,
    To be blunt concrete cracks even new.
    My advice would be leave it and put up with the cracks or rip it out and start again and wait for the new cracks.
    Robo[comp]

Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

Your right robo. I never thought of that. We have a 2 year old driveway at home and it is cracked. I suppose if I went for the new paint surface it would be fine.

Rebecca2

Beck.

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

Hi Rebecca2,
    Just keep in mind all these coloured driveways you see have to be sealed over the colour and continually sealed at least vevery 2 years. Also they show up stains easily.
    Robo

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Robo,

There are 2 ways you can get a stencilled driveway.

The first way is they put a stencil over the wet concrete and sprinkle on colour pigment mixed with cement. This mixture combines with the wet concrete to form a 3-4 mm layer of coloured concrete on the surface. When the concrete has partially set the stencil is ripped up and a leaf blower is used to blow off the cement debris. You’re right Robo you have to seal the job every 2 years or the surface will erode away.

The 2nd way is to have the driveway done as per usual and then later it is sprayed with an acrylic basecoat, allowed to dry, then a stencil is placed over this and a new colour is applied. The stencil is then removed. This finishing technique doesn’t need sealing every 2 years although I have noticed on old jobs that it tends to delaminate from the concrete surface on occasions.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

We renoed a property last year with a similar issue.

We looked at the cost of replacing the driveway, but frankly it wasn’t worth it…it’s a frill not a necessity on an IP – doesn’t change the valuation a single dollar.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of Brenda IrwinBrenda Irwin
    Participant
    @brenda-irwin

I once went to a reno’d property which had previously had a cracked driveway (patio area actually). The owner had gotten a grinder and ground off the uneven sticking up bits, and then used a heap of that cheap no more gaps sealer to seal up the cracks. He had then simply painted the area with an appropriate paving paint. It didn’t look too bad.

If you want to get out of a hole, first stop digging.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    Originally posted by Brenda Irwin:

I once went to a reno’d property which had previously had a cracked driveway (patio area actually). The owner had gotten a grinder and ground off the uneven sticking up bits, and then used a heap of that cheap no more gaps sealer to seal up the cracks. He had then simply painted the area with an appropriate paving paint. It didn’t look too bad.

Brenda,

That’s likely to only be a short-term fix. As tree roots or changes in the moisture level & the expansion & contraction of the concrete continues it will form cracks again.

It’s good for a quick sale however.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.