All Topics / Opinionated! / Which Bank?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Just getting through some paperwork and I have noted that the CBA is making some substantial changes to its credit cards.

First, it is changing the redemption rate for CBA rewards points to Qantas Frequent Flyer Points. From 1 July 2004 the rate changes!

As such, it would be sensible to transfer as many points as possible across prior to 1/7/04 to avoid them being watered down later on.

Furthermore, for all bar the platinum card holders, there will now be capping on the number of CBA rewards points you can accumulate in any 12 month period.

Second, while the RBA benchmark rate may have gone up .5% last year, interest on CBA credit cards will rise a full 1% to a base of 17.65% from 1 July 2004 too.

Just thought you should know so you can be proactive rather than reactive with managing your finances.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MartineMartine
    Participant
    @martine

Hi Steve
    Just thought that I would add to your comment on the CBA, the westpac is also cutting down on the number of points earned for every dollar as from 1st July you will only earn 1 point for every 2 dollars spent, and they are going to increase the annual charge for having the credit card.
    So less points at more cost, time to look elsewhere.
    Thanks Martine

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

I’m in the middle of reading John R. Burley’s excellent book – “Money Secrets of the Rich”.

The two websites he recommends for credit card comparison are:

Infochoice – http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking/default.asp

http://moneyfinder.ninemsn.com.au/

Cheers,
    Shushar

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Yeah, not happy Steve.

That is only a small portion of the changes they are bringing in. Professionals packages have been done away with, and replaced with a more expensive
    Wealth Package Plus. This enables you to get up to .7% off the SVR but only if you have $1m of debt with CBA.

I have the paperwork here and the changes seem to be just another way of forcing people to either drop their current ‘package’ or spend more to get access to a new package.

Since we work off our credit card month in month out, we accumulate plenty of points. They will now be worth .75:1 instead of 1:1.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

What’s happened to the banks – where are the days of old where they were here for the people and not for the people’s money… It’s sad…

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Steve McKnight

I sent you an urgent email tonight.

Unfortunately it finished up at [email protected] and, as you are aware, that email will not be read under your present system.

If you aren’t able to recover this particular email would you please contact me to supply me with a different email address so that I can resend this urgent email.

In any event, please let me know whether you have been able to recover it.

Regards,

Pisces

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Pisces,

im not Steve but maybe I can help – just send me that urgent email and i’ll see what I can do………….hehehehehehehe…………….[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

ANZ Qantas VISA watered down their points about 6 months ago.

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Hi George,

You said : “im not Steve but maybe I can help – just send me that urgent email and i’ll see what I can do………….hehehehehehehe…………….”

I can hardly do that now can I considering the fact that my complaint was about you. [cowboy2]

Pisces

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Pisces- why were you sending an “urgent” email to complain to Steve about geo? I assume you’ve expressed your concerns to geo yourself before sending a formal complaint about him. Geo is always happy to receive any comments. He’s a nice guy- not sure what could have been so “urgent”.

kay henry

Keymaster
    @piadmin

For heavens sake Kay, I was joking just as George was.

Pisces

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

Purplekiss
    You are quite correct. ANZ tried to offer a Diners Card on the so called equitable trade off. The bottom line is we now need more than double the expenditure (roughly) to earn the 30,000 points that got at least an inerstate return fare from up here in the NT.

Regards

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile photo of BonbeachBonbeach
    Participant
    @bonbeach

Yep I got stuck with ANZ’s friendly letter telling us what they were doing too…

I must say that I wasnt happy at all. Its 1 point per dollar up to $2500 per month then 1 point for every $2 after that but is capped at 5000 bucks a month!

Grrrr

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

LOL, well, I ditched them and went elsewhere. Wrote a letter explaining that I was unhappy as their fees had increased (by nearly double) in one year and then 12 months later their reward program decreased and as for there idea of having two cards, told them that was crazy. They didn’t even bother to reply. That’s customer service nowadays.[thumbsdownanim

Profile photo of zizziz
    Participant
    @ziz

I am with you PK. In the end its the only way to deal with the situation. I had an ANZ visa card was racking up 150,000+ points pa the received the 5k per month letter haven’t used it since.

Citibank just sent similar letter advicing me I had exceeded my max points for the year (by 20k) and will not receive anymore points until August my anivesary date.

Am now applying for CBA platimum just to ensure I can get 1:1 points.

Cheers

Originally posted by PurpleKiss:

LOL, well, I ditched them and went elsewhere. Wrote a letter explaining that I was unhappy as their fees had increased (by nearly double) in one year and then 12 months later their reward program decreased and as for there idea of having two cards, told them that was crazy. They didn’t even bother to reply. That’s customer service nowadays.[thumbsdownanim

[biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hey Kay and Pisces,

I [heart] you both and I think you are both [angel]

God Bless…
    Cheers

Kind Regards,
    George

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Well that’s very nice of you to say that George.

I actually phoned Kay and drew her attention to your post and said to her that we probably can get a free dinner out of you.

She, being the smart girl she is, replied that, as you live in Victoria, she thought that there was very little likelyhood you would throw in a free Virgin flight as well. (?)

Regards,

Pisces

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Actually Pisces,

Oh well – Kay is of very little faith…If she believes, I will buy her dinner and remind me when im a millionaire, I will throw in two virgin flights for you both and claim it on TAX[biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]…

I think we should hire out the MCG or Rod Laver Arena and all of us should just catch up and have a good laugh – life’s too short to be[glum]…

take care you both and God Bless.

Kind Regards,
    George.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I chopped my CBA Visa card.

I chopped diners too, the reason some time ago, I lost quite a few points when Ansett went down the tubes and diners also did a restructure of its points from 1.5 to 1 per dollar spent. A while back they also increased their annual fee! Ouch was that high.

My amex, well its about to go under the knife. The products offered for points is dismal to say the least. Like 13500 points to get a Lord of the Rings board game, thats $13,500 worth of money! hey not to mention an annual fee!

I went to vigrin credit cards when they had the introductory fee, trouble was transfering over, the max was $2000, until the 6 month period was up! At 4.99%

They also offered reward partners and the lowest interest rate fee on their card, IT HAS GONE UP., though i dont think they changed their annual fee, they said that was for life $0.

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Pisces,

Your phone calls to me to arrange dinners and flights to meet forum members – yes, interesting… you sure do have a rich inner world, Pisces.

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.