All Topics / General Property / Investing, reflecting on your future life attitude

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

for most of us, were trying to carve our way through life and through different forms of income streams and cashflows, that will one day lead to financal freedom…

for everyone it is different, as were at different stages in our lives, due to commitments and other for seeings,

…but when you look at your self now, in todays present, and you say, this is what i want to do and achieve, is everyone, reaching their target/goals as time goes by, or do you get discourage and find the milestones up ahead, that force you to change your goals and ideas you wish to seek…

for some people i know they have goals they wish to seek and achieve all their life, but many do not, due to not taking that first step forward, or are founded, by the great difficulty they must first overcome…

is everyone focused on their goals and outcomes they wish to achieve, or are many or few, being hurdled by life milestones, that seems your are driving in 2nd gear, while everyone is passing you?

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

heya sis, and welcome back!! :o))

I have no plan for life. I just take it as it comes. One can plan, and outcomes can change, or one can just live out life, and know that all things change. Or one can do anything in between :)

There are always setbacks, or challenges, or whatever one terms them. Accepting that life is all about change, means that those things don’t become crises- they’re just a part of the random schema of things ;) Some good, some bad, but they usually balance out in the end.

You mentioned about “driving in 2nd gear, while everyone is passing you.” Now, whilst I’m a self-proclaimed atheist… there is that saying in Desiderata:

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

I think it’s a worthwhile way of seeing things. Life isn’t a race… it can be a very pleasant walk :)

kay henry

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi SIS,

I agree with Kay Henry wholeheartedly.

I must say (for myself personally) I can look at my achievements and smile….if nothing else I have done okay.

All in all, I subscribe to the notion that SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION…and if nothing else one should enjoy the ride (even if gets a bit bumpy at times along the way, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going).

Stay happy [biggrin]

Jo

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Thanks Kay,

but sometimes, with lifes challenges, it maybe things that you want to do, that are taking there time or to come abouts, yet sometimes, those things you wish to particpate, are within reaching distance, yet its a choice whether you grab or let it go by, due to how life is…

for example, someone may wish to try to achieve something, but due to their other half, family or friends, they let that opportunity go by and when that opportunity comes round again, its just out of their reach… for everyone, everyone has differenct circumstance…

…wishing everyone to take hold and grab those opportunities that passby…

Cheers,
    sis

@monopoly

SIS,

Just read your reply to Kay…..

If someone is holding you back, you need to ask yourself WHY??? Do they think you might be making a mistake? Are they just too afraid of risk? Do they have their own motives for holding you back?

My husband is very very (frustratingly-so) conservative, and risk is not something he likes. As a result he has not progressed much financially as he would have liked. I have often told him, that dreaming is okay, but unless you can back it up with some action….you’re gonna get nowhere fast !!!

Look at those around you, those holding you back, and ask yourself WHY….is it them? or is it you (and you’re just blaming them for your own fears??)

Either way, be kind to yourself.

Jo

@still-in-school

Hi Monopoly,

Thanks for your kind words, no one is really holding me back, but it is time, thats dragging so slow, ive always heard that “patience is the key to virtue”

but patience and time can go so slow, and at the same time, having to keep balance and commitments with family and friends is one of the hardest things…

…short story, just under 2 years ago, i moved down here to Sydney, many things have changed in that short time, but so many times i have promised my family and friends that i will be coming back up to Brisbane real soon, but just as i do, or just come up to visit, something again holds me back here further longer and delaying me from being with them, next month, it will be 1 year and 8 months, ive been here, yet nearly every month from the begining, have been promising next month i will move back up…

but given time… patience is the key to virtue, and that im one who keeps promises, but hates having to tell them, i will be here just a little bit longer…

Cheers,
    sis

@kay-henry

sis,

Chan said you were overseas doing business. I thought you were in brisbane with family- where are you?

kay henry

@monopoly

Hey SIS,

I don’t know your financial situation, which may be keeping you there in Sydney, and really it ain’t any of my bizz. But all I can say, (just like the hair conditioner ad) IT WILL HAPPEN !!!

Part of the problem is you keep giving them a time. DON’T….just say….I WILL be coming back. I know it must be hard, but I am sure they love you enough to have faith in you, and believe that (sooner or later) you will return to them.

I say a great poster once that read:

God grant me the patience….BUT HURRY !!! lol

Seriously, just believe in yourself…and you will make it. If I can….so can you.

NEVER EVER GIVE UP

Jo

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Sis,

Well, we’re focussed on our goals and getting there although a little slower than planned, but very happy with our progress.

I often hear people blame their circumstances for where they are at, without doing anything to help the circumstances they are in. And I often see one of my sisters appear bitter that we are where we are (fits in with Kay’s saying above). Yet, she doesn’t seem to see the effort, the hours, the hard slog and the sacrifices it took to get started. There was nothing stopping her doing the same initally, but instead she chose to live life then, go out and spend etc.

OK, some circumstances we can’t change, but some are self made and some we can improve after they have happened. There are some hard luck stories I wouldn’t want to live through though and I do wish those poeple luck in just battling through to survive.

Good luck to everyone on their journey to achieve their goals.

PK

@still-in-school

Hi Kay,

was just overseas, due to a family tradegey, but soon after meeting a family relative, while over there, the last week was spent on looking at some business ventures, as a result of this, i was going to return back to Brisbane, but after some consideration and talking to family and friends, it made more sense to stay here another couple months, here in Sydney and then move back to Brisbane afterewards…

problem is, that due to my family background, i can speak and understand my mums language, but because, my dierlic is not as fluent, in July, will be moving overseas for 3 months, just to get up to pace and be fluent, yet at the same time, put everything else on hold… (the language part, is due to business purposes, because i cant write fluent or that well, but talking wise is pretty good.)

… which really means, what i ve been promising every month of moving back to Brisbane, is now going to be some time late and towards end of the year…

…but right now, im in Sydney…

Cheers,
    sis

@kay-henry

sis, surely your family would understand that you look after your grandma, and wouldn’t be putting pressure on you to return.

You are also extremely financially independent. Many young men your age choose where they want to live. Do you wish to live in sydney or in brisbane? Andwould you be living with relatives in brisbane? You may as well buy yourself a nice place on the beach or somewhere and enjoy yourself.

kay henry

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Well Sis, now that I’ve read the other replies it seems that your question is personal rather than hypothetical, so my intial reply does not really fit your circumstances, however, I wish you luck in working through your dilemma.

Is your Grandma not interested in moving to Brisbane to be with the rest of the family? If she’s older than uprooting may cause more porblems than it solves, but it was just a thought.

Good Luck
    PK

@monopoly

Hey SIS,

just curious…I know you said it was for business purposes (going o/s that is) but wouldn’t it be cheaper to take up the language at a school here?? If you are doing it to have a holiday, that’s cool, but if it is purely to educate yourself…there are cheaper alternatives.
    You have to be honest with yourself here.

Jo

@still-in-school

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your responses, nothing really to do with my grandma, but so many times, its been so close, that moving back home would be so soon, but always there is something that comes up and delays, the moving up there so soon… thanks all…

Hi Monopoly,

your idea is great, though, i just have to wrap up a few things down here in Sydney, my intentions are real about moving overseas for short period of time, but im also really needed to handle many schedules over there and that being there, will also accelerate my language literacy, but there the language, school is very cheap compared to language school prices here, and they are very limited here as well…

… all i can do, is really just wait and see what happens…

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Hi Sis, life throws us some tough deals at times

I can say I have been focused and then ooops derailed! Got back on track (pardon the pun!)

Personally, when it comes to family, my goals are insignificant. Time will come again and I beleive in fate, that is, if its meant to be….

We can rationalise all we want though.

I think there are dreamers, and that is all they will ever be, the gunners etc.

I just get on and do my own thing…except where my family is concerned, cause money just cant replace them

Cheers

Elves

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

“My husband is very very (frustratingly-so) conservative, and risk is not something he likes. As a result he has not progressed much financially as he would have liked. “

hi Monopoly! I laughed when I read this because I can relate!
    I don’t really want any risk or debt either, that’s my risk profile! Really and truly!! So guess what I did? I didn’t borrow! Yep folks, you heard right, I bought with plain on folding cashola. My properties have been settled and earning for a year now, and so I am finally going to introduce a little debt…I’m going to do a 50 percent LVR on my portfolio. I know this seems ridiculous when many people here are geared to the eyeballs with all the stress to go with it. but not me!

and like your hubby I could have gone faster if I’d geared a bit harder or a bit sooner. But so what? i still got in the game. I’m still doing it. I bought cheap properties at the bottom of the market for cash. And I’m about to buy my fourth, yippee, within about a year.

your husband can either let his excuses stop him, or he can find a way to do it that suits his risk profile and goals and go at his own pace.

in the end, if he prefers a term deposit at 5.5 percent, so be it! at least he will have more time to hang out with you.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

SIS I agree with you that 3 months total immersion is equal to….who knows how much time at a language school. The reason being that the best teacher is necessity. Which you have while you are there.

but about the ‘all i can do really is wait and see what happens’ – say what? Did all your property deals ‘just happen’ to you then? Didn’t think so..

And what’s all this about promising friends and family you’ll be back, every month for 18 months, and not delivering?

Either stop lying or start delivering. And admit to yourself that if you wanted to be there you would so really there must be a part of you that doesn’t want to be there otherwise you would be there. Maybe you feel duty/guilt. Did I just nail it? thought so.
    Is it a cultural thing? I don’t know what culture we are talking about here, but a lot of cultures do have a big guilt/duty thing.

tell us more it’s interesting to get a little ‘the man behind the music’ stuff about you.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

sis,
    Good questions.

Sacrificing time with close ones in exchange for “getting ahead”, works well in theory in my head. Maybe an hour sacrificed now to research IPs may end up with much more time later for quality time, when $$ not an issue.

But my heart has been questioning lately. Am i weakening friendships, am i losing the opportunity to spend time with family.

What if a family member died tomorrow? What If I died People do die, and windows of opportunity to do things in ya youth must surely close?.

I tell myself that it will all be worth it, but am i missing out on today?

sure challenges your core life beliefs..[2way]

Maybe just a case of the “quarter life crisis” what should i be doing?

A lot of older guys i have chatted to about this say “It will be worth it?”

I hope i am on the same track as your post[eh]

It would be nice for some reassurance from anyone on the forum who has been through the hard yards, and any tips they had to stay focused…….or abandon it all?[bawl]

[hat]

lifexperience

@kay-henry

sis, you have told the Forum that you were looking after your grandmother. Surely that can’t have been a wasted time. I am sure she appreciated having you greatly. All of our life choices are up to us. You have 12 IP’s at 21! If you were independent enough to do that on your own, then I have no doubt that you can make these other decisions too.

kay henry

Profile photo of VaslavVaslav
    @vaslav

SIS,

i’m not sure what ur background is and how ur circumstances is like. but i think sometimes some changes and sacrifice will be paid back greater.

i am facing the dilemma of where to work next year as i dont’ want to leave my partner in Melbourne. but it has to be done if it has to be. sometimes u just have to think positive and give it a go. After all, Sydney and Brissie ain’t that far away. That’s how i console myself about having to move out of Melbourne next year to work possibly in Adelaide or who knows Perth.

Anyway… I’m sure you’ll be able to decide what to do, like what Kay Henry said, if you are able to obtain 12 IPs by 21 ( my admiration and salut to u ) i’m sure u’ll be wise enuf to know what u have to do. Follow your Heart.

Kev

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.