All Topics / General Property / FHOG query….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Could a family member get the fhog to buy a house of another family member,say,in a wrap situation?? Also,does anyone know if fhog can be used for a portable house (not land) to be placed on the land of another family member? Or,any other wise suggestions on getting access to fhog for a family member,who would probably not get a bank loan (as they are on disability pension- no work,no credit history,nosavings etc-all the things a bank frowns at to get a loan).However, i have a few properties,so if i can help without having to use to much/prefer none, of my own money, & so it is a win-win for me as well,i will. Any advice out there??? Cheers.

Profile photo of JustAllanJustAllan
    Participant
    @justallan

It doesn’t matter to the government *how* they purchased the property. As long as they own the dwelling. It must also be their first property and have a council-approved dwelling (not an unapproved temporary shed/caravan/etc.). The title must be in their name – but not necessarily the land according to the government website, which says this:

“A person who builds their home on land that is part of land owned by another person can still be eligible for the grant. Refer to the First Home Owner Grant Ruling – FHOG001 Recognition of non-conforming interests.”

That document is here:
    http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/pls/portal/docs/page/downloads/rev_rules/rrfhogs1.htm

They can also receive land as a gift and then “purchase” a dwelling and put it on the land (subject to council approval). But you can’t claim the grant just for vacant land alone – it must have a dwelling, or if building a new home, construction must have started – slab poured for example.)

For more information, go here: http://www.osr.nsw.gov.au/pls/portal/url/page/osrhome/tax_prof/firsthome

Allan.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.