All Topics / General Property / Advice to newcomer in IP- what to do

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of kauskaus
    @kaus

Hi

I have IP bought in Nov 03, for 450K. Loan at the moment is interest only with MISA account 1000% off set. I work for Gov. Yes Salary sacrifice is also a option to use. Now instalment on loan is appox 2300-2400 and rent is 230 pw minus other expenses like agents fee etc. Question i have:
    1. Should I fix some part of loan say for 3 or 5 years?
    2. After paying instalment (loan) i still have spare cash of $1200 , should that be dumped in MISA account or in superanuation -(means go for salary sacrifice).
    3. Current rate of interest at the moment is 6.37% and fixed rate for 3 Yr is 6.95% and 5 yr is 7.20%

Please give you opinion.

thanks

Sati

Profile photo of JobeeJobee
    @jobee

I want to know where I can get that %1000 offset loan you were talking about. I could do with a couple of those myself. Hehehe! Sorry I couldn’t resist. Newbie here myself so I don’t have any words of wisdom for you.

Jo

Profile photo of kauskaus
    @kaus

Sorry it is typo error, and surely discount should be applied

Sati

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Sati,

Let me get this right….your loan repayment is 2300-2400 per month (yes???) and the rent is what??? What you get? or are you paying off someone else’s mortgage???

Pls clear this up for me before I can begin to help answer your query.

JO

Profile photo of kauskaus
    @kaus

Hi
    I borrowed 100% against by paid off property, and rent i am getting is $230 pw , i am not paying off any other’s loan . When i say $450 K , purchase price is $430 + other expenses like legal and stamp duty. In fact it is a old house. So loan as i said is $450K

thanks
    Sati

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Sheesh that’s what I call negative geared! I hope she’s got some great capital growth potential kaus……

@monopoly

Hi Sati,

Firstly, let me just say that 230 p/w rent on a property is pretty low (in my opinion anyway!!). I had a similar situation “once upon a time” owning a 750,000 property and getting a ridiculous (but fair for the going rate in the area at the time) 350 p/w. My solution was to sell the property, used the 800,000 (actually got) and purchased 3 other IPs (cheaper areas) @ 250 p/w EACH – okay I have 3 x the expenses, but I also have over double the return as I did with just the one. Growth is important in real estate, but if you are chasing cash flow; your situation may be slowing things down for you.

If you decide to keep the property, at least research some other means of reducing your interest. That I am not not real cluey on (I recommend talking to bank, building society, accountant whatever….) but for heavens sake….rethink you negative gearing situation!

Cheers,

Jo

@monopoly

Sorry Sati,

When I said 230 p/w rent is low – I meant for the value of your property (450,000). 230 is fine on a cheaper property…..

Please don’t take that statement as an offense, none was intended !!!

Cheers,

Jo

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.