All Topics / Help Needed! / How Much to Paint a House?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Dear folks :o)

Could any membersw please give me some info on how much it costs to paint an average size (140sq metre or about 14squares) house- inside?

The house is 3 bedrooms and 3 living areas.

Any experiences of yours will be greatly appreciated :o))

kay henry

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Our last house was 200m2 and cost over $750 just for the paint.We did all the work ourselves.That was 5 years ago.
    Russ

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Thanks, Russ :) I’ll be getting a pro housepainter to paint for me. I wonder if anyone knows how much it might cost for paint plus labour? Start to finish, including cleaning walls etc.

kay henry

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Kay,

Can’t help as I am a DIY painter (I find painting a little therapeutic) but the amount will vary depending upon the amount of preparation required beforehand.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment support – starts but never stops.

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

Anywhere from 2500 to 5000k and even more depending on how fussy a job you want and what quality paint to be used. Dont get sucked in by the no-name paint in the Dulux tin either[blink]

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

@kay-henry

Thanks Mysta! [strum] What would hgappen if I got sucked into the no-name paint? Would it fall off? I have no idea about reno stuff, so it’s all new to me :)

kay henry

@kay-henry

hey Derek…

If you find painting therapeutic… and are looking for subjects to delve into their mind and be their conscience… we could have a win/win thing happening here…

If you paint my house, I will let you be my conscience [biggrin] what say you, Mr Derek??

kay henry

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Thanks Mysta! [strum] What would hgappen if I got sucked into the no-name paint? Would it fall off? I have no idea about reno stuff, so it’s all new to me :)

kay henry

Its like the old saying my freind, “You only get what you pay for”

The dodgy cheap stuff isn’t always up to scratch, I suggest you join Choice Magazine for all the goss on anything to do with product purchases, good money spent.[thumbsup2]

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….” “Even though you may be on the right track, you can still get run over if you sit there long enough”

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Kay,

Yep the labour would be free but the airfares – a killer!

Just wondering how to break this to the wife.

I know “Sweetie, just off to go and paint a house for a lady I met on the Internet and will be away across the country for a couple of weeks. Do you mind?”

Sure to be a winner!

Derek
    [email protected]

Property investment support – starts but never stops.

@kay-henry

Good idea, Mysta- re Choice Mag- I always thought that was a good mag!

I’d better stop replying to each answer- looks like I’m doing the geo-geo [goatee]

kay henry

@kay-henry

It’s ok, Derek- I ain’t much of a lady, so your wife wouldn’t mind!! [happy3] Wives like me as a rule :o)

kay henry

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Dont know about therapy.I hate the job myself.Ceilings are the worst.Especially the cleaning.My wife hates that bit hahaha.Still someone has to do it.
    I think the hardest bit is picking the colours though.Cause if you dont get that bit right then you gotta do the whole damn job again.
    Funny thing is.Soon as you sell they repaint.Seems you chose the wrong colour after all.

Profile photo of Misty1Misty1
    @misty1

Hey,Kay!
    Having been an ex-painter,i can give some good advice….ontop of the already good advice u’v been given.”Dont go 4 the cheap crap” is great advice-it’s runny (watered down to make it cheap) therefor will need extra coats to cover same area (which keeps the painter/s happy-more labour costs).How much of a tax deduction u want will also determine whether u should/could do some of the work y’self,or pay s/one to do it all…or part cash…or do a “barter” deal….the reasons for doing any are up to you.Might be best to speak to yr accnt? Or,fly me up….i need an excuse to quit this shitty f/t job….thus, i have become an investor,& the dream may become a reality! Oh,sorry,waffling way off track…UUmmmm, in regards to cost: some painters may charge a day rate, or hourly, or job rate. Defintly get 3 quotes,& compare all for descrepencies.2 isnt enough,5 is better!By the 2nd one,u will u/stand what is req’d,& this will put u in a better position to neg. with the next one/s.U also will look more knowledgable (& will be) by then,so they will be less likely to try & rip u off, ‘cos u will know it! I used to charge by the hour,better for me,not u! there is alot of bludging going on with hourly rates,so go for fixed rate,but haggle!Average hrly rate aprx $30/$40 p/hr.A wild guess would be 2hrs p/coat/p- average sized wall. 0r 1 full day p/av. sized room.This is a very wild estimate.Several quotes will narrow it down.Also,INSIST that they TOTALLY cover EVERYTHING in the room,not just what’s near them.It’s amazing how that one little fleck off paint can smudge to totally ruin your carpet,mat,wall,picture…..Good luck!

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Now Kay, if you WERE wanting a dodgie job, my sister bought 2 x 20L tins of white ceiling paint for $100, and did pretty much the whole inside of her house. Cheap and it looks …well white.

Why not give painting a go, you’re never too young to learn !

WF

@kay-henry

OK- I got a quote of 5k. I hope they use gilt-edged paint for that ;)

kay henry

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

A quote I got for the inside of an 90m2 3br villa in regional WA was $2500. This was for two coats. The quote was from a handyman company. My PM said that painters tended to be cheaper – I rang two to give a rough estimate and one said around $1200-2000 and another said $2000.

Regards, Peter

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

Hi Kay, cheap is OK, dont get burnt like we did make sure the painter is REGISTERED……. or else!!!!!

Profile photo of showmethemoneyshowmethemoney
    Participant
    @showmethemoney-2

Hi

Recently paid $2200 for a house of approx 160m2 to have all the walls patched, ceilings and walls painted.
    Considering how long it took the bloke I think it was good value.

SMTM

Profile photo of rebecca2rebecca2
    @rebecca2

Hi,

I have just finished painting the inside and outside gutters, facias and windows of a 4 bedroom house. Inside they call me Becka one coat. [laughing] But outside I had to do 2 coats because I was covering up Brunswick green. [puke]

For inside I purchased a total of 10ltr of suade effects to do 4 feature walls.
    Inside I purchased 30ltr of Dulux Clotted Cream for remainder of inside walls.
    Outside I purchased 10ltr of solarguard.

I didn’t need to do skirts etc inside because they were wood and I left them as is.
    I used good quality paints and make sure I covered everything well.
    Total cost $541 for all the paint a new good quality roller and a couple of brushes.

It took me around 7 days to do it.

regards
    Rebecca2

Beck.
    I’m doing it. You learn faster when you do it.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Excellent stuf rebecca.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.