All Topics / Help Needed! / Property mathematics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of patrickrajpatrickraj
    @patrickraj

Hi,

I’m new to Property investing and on reading Steve’s book i realise that there is a large element of math involved. Would anyone know any good book that provides me to practice these mathematics?? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

regards,
    Patrick

Patrick Raj

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Patrick,

Is it the maths, or the understanding of what numbers to include that causes difficulties Patrick?

As a school principal I have access to a number of maths texts that you may find useful. If you would like I can get copies of the appropriate parts and email them to you.

Happy to exchange PM if you would prefer to take this discussion ‘off line’.

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email me.

Profile photo of T.P.T.P.
    @t.p.

Jan Somers book “More Wealth from residential property” has good chapters on financing. To learn how the bank calculates loan affordability is must have knowledge if you are serious about building a portfolio of multiple properties.

Regards Terry

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi Patrick,

I for one am impressed by your honesty! :)
    I passed Uni maths but for the Life-Of-Me I couldn’t understand why financial maths was so much harder to grasp. To this day it can still get tricky, but the best way, I found, is to practice often, or to get some ‘property savvy’ friends to send you case scenarios where you have to send the answers back to them, just like doing maths textbook homework at the end of the chapter.
    Curiously enough, I’ve never had trouble with doing my drug calculations for my patients… oh…come to think of it, there was this 1 time when I was a student nurse ………………………….. ;)

Cheers
    Sooshie :)

When a problem is created the solution is created simultaneously

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

[confused2][confused2][confused2]
    Sooshies Patients..*wacked* on to much pethodine ; )

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”
    Count The Currency With This Online Positive Cashflow Calculator

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

Hello Patrick

I found Bill Handley’s book “Speed Mathematics : Secrets Skills for Quick Calculation” very useful. I am by no means a maths enthusiast, and when I started doing a few deals I found that it took me *hours* to crunch the numbers (persistence pays off!)

Al though it’s not specifically about property, I found that once my general maths skill picked up, the rest was a lot easier too. I’ve included a link to the book below, hope it turns out as it’s the first time I’ve tried this:

Speed Mathematics

All the best,

Marco

Get more out of Renting!
    http://www.positiveproperty.com.au

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I don’t know if it’s the same author, but I picked up a book called Speed Mathematics from Dymocks a while ago – in/near the finance/business section. It’s pretty good too, but like anything of that nature, you do need to work with it a bit until it comes naturally – like typing, speed reading etc.

Now if only there was a way that you could ‘program’ yourself in 10 minutes……….

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of MarcoMarco
    @marco

Hi Mel,

yes I think we’re both on the same page! Yet to master the book… maybe one day :)

Have a great day!

Marco

Get more out of Renting!
    http://www.positiveproperty.com.au

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Being a Gen X’er who cant reed,right or spel have found crunching the numbers extremly hard, but am getting better with LOTS of practice. Even had a conversation with my acca and understood what he was saying.

Only started learing once i got outta school[grad]

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

Wallflower, I agree there. Real life teaches us more than school does!

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.