All Topics / General Property / When to sell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of paulnpauln
    @pauln

When would be the right time to sell a property if ever? What type of Capital gain would you consider selling a IP at? Or would you never sell a IP and continue to rent?
    Just looking for everyones thoughts on this.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Different horses for different courses.

I am selling an investment property because I want to use the funds to buy a development site and build two townhouses with my brother.

I would keep my IP’s for as long as possible. If you settle down and start a family or something like that and you need the emotional comforts of a PPOR, then sell one or two investment properties with equity.

There are many reasons people sell.

Profile photo of Tasman PropertyTasman Property
    Participant
    @tasman-property

It depends on your situation, and everyone’s different. You need to do what suits you best.

If your property has had a nice gain, and you want to lock that profit in as you feel the market has reached a peak then selling might be a good idea.

If you think the market is still going to keep going up and you have no reason to sell, then holding would be smarter.

If you have another great deal in mind that you need funds for, and can get these funds through selling, then maybe selling is the go.

There’s no rules as to what type of gain (10%, 50%, 100% gain) is the ‘right’ gain to sell.

John.

(I believe that later this year there will be no +CF deals left in NZ, so I’ve moved here to invest full time. I can find +CF deals for your NZ portfolio for a fee, just email me [email protected])

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I’ll be selling a +cf property later this year because I want to buy a fishing boat that will lose value the moment it hits the water.
    How’s that for a lousy investment decision.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Paul,

This is definitely a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question – the answer will vary from person to person.

My intent is to never sell (well maybe not never but you get the idea) and the only reason I would sell would be if I had to due to some cataclysmic event or I could put the money to work somewhere else (pay off PPOR or No 3 on the 5th at Randwick etc)

Ultimately it will be your particular situation and your plans that determine if and when you sell.

Derek
    [email protected]
    Derek

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.