All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Property Spotting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

Does anyone know wether property spotting is illegal, and if so in which states? Otherwise, does anyone know how I might obtain this info?

Regards,
    Si

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Si,

no its not illegal and many do it – infact, many on this forum do it. Put this post in ‘General Investing’ or ‘Help Needed’ forum. your sure to get a reply. Or just email Westan, Bear, Muppet – they do it aswell. but I would put a post on the other forum. Try MortgageHunter aswell.

Kind regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

Thanks George,
    Much appreciated.

Regards,
    Si

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Si

I would be slightly careful.

I am not sure George has fully understood the answer he gave you. If you act as a spotter then depending on the State and the numbers of properties you transact it may not be illegal but may require you to be licensed.

Qld is certainly a State in which a license is required. So as not generalise i would suggest you check with the OFT in your State to ascertain what license is needed.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Sibo,

Endorse Richard’s comments 100%

I strongly suggest anyone considering setting themselves up as a ‘spotter’ carefully think through the full process of their proposed modus operandi. When this is firm in your mind then run it past the various legislative people in your respective states – all it will take is one inadvertent step out of turn and what was ‘legal’ may now be illegal.

I would add seek independent legal advice too – public indemnity insurance may be required too.

Last thing anyone would want is a legal case on their hands. It’s all part of the preparatory research for mine.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

To act as a buyer’s agent you must be a registered Real Estate agent in all Austalian legislations to my knowledge.

Calling yourself a ‘spotter’ instead of a Buyers’ Agent provides no legal protection to my knowledge.

Why do people want to be spotters?

Better to be investors.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.