All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Good Solicitor/Good Accountant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of JLtarraJLtarra
    Participant
    @jltarra

Just a general enquiry on how important is it to have a good solicitor as to a good accountant.
    I realise a good accountant can put dollars back in your pocket
    On the other hand a good solicitor is gonna be an expensive one??? What advantages are there in having a good solicitor???

Thank you all.
    john [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

ITS A MUST – you have to have a goiod one of both – its vital. who cares if they’re expensive – as long as they’re smart and know what they’re doing – cause remember any payments to the solicitor or accountant are tax deductible.

Robert Kiyosaki once said,
    “I don’t mind paying my accountants and solicitors millions of dollars cause they’re making me millions of dollars.”

Howver after you have read what I have just written, I am living proof of this. I went to my solicitor with a deal and contract which had the sale price plus GST. Now this GST component was close to $20,000. You know what my solicitor did – he got rid of it – through his profession – that’s his job. he saved me 20k. Now can you see how vital it is to have a good accountant and a good solicitor – they work for you and you pay them.

Kind Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Collective “WOW”

WF

Profile photo of VaslavVaslav
    @vaslav

George, would you mind sharing with me the details of your solicitor? i’m looking for one too, the last one i used wasn’t very good, not gonna use him anywmore. it’s vital to have a good solicitor in ur team.

REgards,
    Kev

Profile photo of VaslavVaslav
    @vaslav

oh i’m in Melbourne, VIc by the way.

Kev

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

A good solicitor is essential.

We had a bad one, who ‘helped’ us ‘lose’ $175K.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Melbear,

Geez – and I suppose they still tried to bill you.

Between your story and Geo’s it does clearly demonstrate paying experts is an investment too – you just have to be reasonably knowledgeable yourself to detect the BS.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Hey Derek

Not only did they ‘try’ to bill us – they did. As they were doing our settlement, they just deducted their fees anyway, and gave us a ‘receipt’. When I reconciled their ‘receipt’ with our deposit receipt, and the settlement statement, I saw that they charged us an extra $100 per property (and it was 5 properties).

since then they’ve sent a further bill to my current solicitor for work they had done on another purchase that hadn’t settled at the time we sacked them (about 8 months later too!). Thus far I’ve ignored their letter. If I get another one, I think I’ll go back to them with all my facts, and see what happens!

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Mel,

You should kick up a stink. Let a solicitor get away with this & there’s no telling who else they will burn next.

We had our full conveyancing amount refunded last purchase because the solicitor put the wrong date (by a month) on our three month settlement (with access for renovating)…..unfortunately we couldn’t claim the interest on a week overdue settlement.

Property was sufficiently under market price to not bother chasing this amount – but I’ve stopped referring people to that conveyancer!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.