All Topics / General Property / Do it Uppers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of KiwiZenaKiwiZena
    @kiwizena

Is there anybody out there who has had experience in projects a little more serious than replacing the carpet? Would be interested to hear any stories about complete strip downs and rebuilds. Are there any implications (espec. in Victoria) if you live in the same building while renovating? (other than dust in your coffee?)
    Love to hear from you!

Zena

For something a little different, why not check out http://theinvestingcrew.com

Profile photo of everdineeverdine
    @everdine

[baaa] your just reminded me of the smell of paint and glue and bog!

We repaired some doors that had holes in them, I had seen it on TV and my clever hubby sucessfully did the repair.
    We did a total paint, stripped the bathroom and replaced tiles with lamipanel, replaced the toilet bowl, replaced rotten kitchen floorboards and retiled the kitchen, all in over 40 degree heat, while travelling between placed 4 hours apart for work, weddings, job interviews and Christmas. It was madness – but worthwhile as we scored a new job close to our children and grandchildren, got better than expected rent and a happy tennant.
    IP 2 is in much better repair so in 2 weeks we will be busy just painting and gardening!!

Happy Easter, Diane

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi KiwiZena,
    “dust in your coffee?” Watch out for asbestos in your coffee!!!

I renovated a place in Brighton Brisbane last year – two weeks living in the place sleeping on a camp stretcher with no hot water or electricity – in Winter!!!! AHHH! for an acclimatised QLDr it was cold ++++. We did the lot, stripped the bathroom and kitchen, carpets out. painted the lot, pulled down a wall, replaced the wiring and plumbing (tradesmen for this bit), new spec kitchen in and new bathroom from scratch.. Pulled off wall linings in the rumpus room to pull out the four foot high grass that the tenant previously ahd let grow accross the footpath and into the wall cavities. Chopped down two trees and build a picket fence. Me and my dad. Moral of story – consider very wisely how long you will need to make things happen. We blew out to three and a half weeks, and damn nearly killed each other – it was very hard on us both and the cold didn’t help!!! it was possible to do this by being able to stay on site, have the trades prebooked prior to settlement, and to be prepared to work 14 hour days – I would not do it again (at least I don’t think so). Oh, we also hung new doors on all of the rooms and put down new lino and carpet the place looks a treat – but it took a lot!! WE were nothing like reno rescue thats for sure!!!
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Everdine,

What’s lamipanel? Is it for bathrooms, curious as we’re about to do up a bathroom.

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hey Zena,

Yeah i “camped out” in the living room of a property i hav 5 hrs away from home for 2 weeks … so my advice to you would be:

1) arrange electricity connection a few days b4 ur due to start if its cut off.

2) Get online at yellowpages.com and print a sheet of paper with at least 5 of each of the trades you may need, then also include hardware shops, other building suppliers (thats if your not familier with the area) and hire shops, laundromat.

3) If its managed by an agent, or will be, ask for a detailed description of what u need to do, and pack tools accordingaly…

4) make a list of tools you may need or other bits and pieces, starting a week in advance, dont leave it for the last day, as you will always forget something silly (like the red flag u need to tie to the end of wood u buy from the hardware shops that hang over the rear of the car etc), then as you remember things you may need, while at work etc, jot them down, or save them on your fone… that way u dont forget.

5) Take a radio, extension leads and a 4 outlet power board, and an old lamp shade, or a simple globe in the end of a wire with a switch inline. they will come in handy in the roof cavity or under the property.

6) hmmm, use a camera to take pics of the finished job

7) Go there to work, so get up at 7, do outside jobs in the day time, or when power tools are needed, then do internal jobs like painting and hanging doors at night…

8) I would STRONGLY suggest you go it alone if staying in the property, perhaps a partner with equal interest could go, but don’t invite mates or friends if they need to stay a few days .. they will distract you and stretch your friendship lol

9) if you dont have a local yellow pages for the area be sure to get one for free from the local post office when u arrive.

10) plan well in advance for what you will do in regards to waste disposal.

11) when you arrive, write down a rough diary of the jobs you need to get done… and split them between day and night. cross things out that are done, and add small jobs or “things to do” when they arise…

12) Large items that take up alot of space, but will only be used once are better hired, ie lawn mower, whipper snipper and vacumn cleaner…

Hope this helps :)

Jason [biggrin]

Ps, i think “lamipanel” is a large sheet, abit like plywood, only made from a plastic looking material that is water proof, and good for areas in the bathroom that get splashed, its a cheap and quick way of making the wall waterproof compared to laying tiles…

Profile photo of alpinaalpina
    Participant
    @alpina

great pointers jason.

more of the cheque book renovator type myself but found your post most informative. might get a little more involved in future :)

julie

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

Everdine, Lamipanel sells by the sheet and looks like tiles. Friends have just done their bathroom with it and are happy with the result. There is usually information and samples of the different patterns displayed in hardware stores.

KiwiZena, to renovations – we have completely stripped out 3 places, two houses and a unit, as they were quite bad (well priced!) Fortunately we were within an hour’s drive, so had our list of everything from tools to food, ute all packed the night before, ready for an early start and we usually work till late, that is around nearly dark. The idea of course is to finish the reno as soon as possible for rental or sale. Lots of good advice on the forum.

Anna

Profile photo of KiwiZenaKiwiZena
    @kiwizena

Thanks for all the great info so far! More questions if I dare! What do the lenders think of this kind of project – back home some are a little wary of lending on the potential gains, which are achieved through renovations. In the past I have used mortgage overdraft accounts to secure the cash for the purchase of building materials etc, would this be an option here? Or are there better alternatives?
    Has anyone thought of “teaming up” with other investors in the same locality to obtain better deals?
    Man alive, so many questions, so little time, so many great projects!
    Take care

For something a little different, why not check out http://theinvestingcrew.com

Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

HI
    We are currently living in and renovating while also working fulltime.
    We have replaced windows (drafty at night in winter), knocked down walls replaced kitchen and bathroom, replaced wood floor etc etc. Cooking outside all winter was a drag and you get pretty slack about eating properly.
    We also took down huge trees ripped out tonns of ivy and took up loads of concrete.
    We did not have a problem with the bank, they were happy to lend the extra for renovating as we had capital in another property and they also got a valuer in to give an estimate of worth after renovation.

Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi all, lamipanel is a Laminex branded wall panelling – it is slightly different to the panelling that looks like tiles. Lamipanel can be found on the Laminex website – all up it cost me about the same price to use lamipanel in my bathroom at home, as it would have done to use tiles – but the lamipanel i used is beech colour like laminex beech kitchen laminex, and the panelling suited a 60s home where panelling of that lovely pink or green or grey was often used – similar concept is honest to the type of home, but so much more modern!

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Sound a bit like seratone,

http://www.seratone.co.nz

I used this on one of my reno’s that needed a new bathroom, didn’t even have a shower when I bought it! The seratone was about $130 per sheet NZD and we needed 4 or 5 sheets to do a whole bathroom. It took about a day. Give or take the plumber and the builder taking turns doing stuff. We put it around the shower/bath and wherever needed to be waterproof. Lasts for donkeys’ years, and you can even paint it.

The new range is totally edgy like the laminex stuff.

Participant
    @castledreamer

Yep, seratone is from Fletcher Wood Panelling which owns Laminex, or is it the other way around? Both products are really cool. You might also hear people talking about lamipanel when they mean seratone or lamipanel or other brands of similar product

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of T.P.T.P.
    @t.p.

G`day Zena, If you havn`t already bought the place it is simple enough to borrow the reno $ when you finance the purchase, providing of course you have enough equity.In my situation I have used equity from other property and buying below market value to create room in the “loan to value” ratios to finance reno`s from the initial loan.{in the form of a line of credit}
    If you have already bought or have a min. cash deposit this will be harder to do. Much better to tie it in with the property loan than to use personal loans,credit cards etc.
    Regards Terry

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.