All Topics / Opinionated! / Where would you buy a car.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I want to buy a new car(but i mean second hand).

I think a van would be good, and cheap, around $1000 or $2000. i don’t mind long as it’s neat and it goes reasonably well. Then i could carry some tools and it would suit a few purposes.

Where’s a good place that has lots of cars that are cheap. I’m thinking i might get on a bus and go thier. It’s got to be in Victoria.

Might do a round trip..go and buy a car…travel around for Easter and then come home again after a while and a bit of a trip.

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Auctions melb or syd, private buyers in bigger cities

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Yeah but where are they. I need to know a location or something about it, is it a huge place that is probably a one stop? Is there a known address that sell lot’s of these cheap cars??

Anyone here from the city? I don’t know the city that well so i will have to have the destination so i know how to get there on foot via public transport. But i don’t want to muck around i just want to go to a big place that’s right and be able to leave with a car!

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Here in Sydney there is at least one place which sells repossessed cars on behalf of the finance companies.

In Victoria ? I don’t know.

What about buying a paper tomorrow and looking at the advertisements ?

Pisces

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

The trading post online is a good one http://www.drive.com etc. Cheap vans that “GO” are hard to find, even harder with long rego. Being a builder/smash repairer/ sales rep/ only child myself I will give you some sound advice.

Go for the good old VN Commodore, fold the back seats or remove them, put some racks on the puppy and she will be all go go go.

I know plenty of people doing the same and they are reliable and cheap as chips. Forget the van, nothing but drama’s bud.

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….”

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

VN Commodore, what year were they?

A van you can sleep in, thats the big thing why i was going to get one. Then it allows me to do all things, carry tools , sleep, camp, carry more people if that time arrises.

Last night i didn’t have a paper, so i chatted to somebody online in ICQ and got info about Van in Melbourne.

Also can you comment on this for interest sack (i have got onto a spectron van 1983, motor – 1800 2ltr, brown , reg 9th,
    colour – done 200,000km. It’s been on the market for over a month $1400 and he said without me evan making any offers that he would sell it for $1000.

I have had a van at the moment on trial too drive for a few weeks and it has been nothing but trouble, the previous owner had trouble with it for 6 months but i thought after all the trouble they had that it would be right buy now, they have put a reconditioned motor and that etc.

Now that you’ve said that about the commodoore that sound convincing. Have you known any good make of vans that have been reliable? Other wise a commodoor might be the best thing youknow.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

1983 and now it’s 2004 and at 200 000km, that makes about 9 523kms a year…!

look for around 5000km a year average, and at 200 000 the value has wella nd truely dropped out of it, the price should go south after 200 000km

REDWING

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I looked at a few adds for VN Commodoors and seen about ten different ones and there all about $4,000.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

If i buy this van , can i say to him, i wanna trial it for two weeks and see how it goes. And if it’s no good i want to take it back.

But i don’t want to hand over the cash because he might run away with it. I need an eskro. Someone i can give the money to ( a third party) to trust them and they give the money once theres satisfation that the cars good!.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Actauly i found 3 VN comodoors for $1500. They sold though.

I know why there called VN commodoors, there Very Nice. I remember seeing them around and there the ones i liked the look off.

Well i know a bit about em now. I’ve missed the easter trip, i don’t think the whether was that good anyway. Will get a bit more exercise riding my bike and wait for opportunity to come along. Won’t hurt me to get some public transport might save some money.

I joined the http://www.vncommodore.com/Cars seems you can get good support on them, i think i might look around for one of them. Actauly i wouldnt need much finance.

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Pickles Auctions do a fleet, reposessed and lower prices cars and commercials (vans, 4WD’s etc) on a Wednesday starting at 9.30am. They are located at Belmore. Their website will have all the upcomming stock although, it may trake until Tuesday to get a full listing.

You can give it a go, they guarantee title but as any auction goes – caveat emptor (buyer beware). If it goes bang after 1 week, you cannot get a refund!

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Thanks for explaining that and now that’s a site!!

What i like about the way they sell some of the repossessed and ex government vehicles, is that they sell regardless of the price. So if your there at the right time and place you could get a real bargain. I’ve registered and that to get sent out new auction details so hopefully something will come along.

They actually got a VN on Tuesday’s market (and a VN wagon which i hadn’t thought about). It’s got an ‘L’ Plate on it, so that makes me wander if a young persons been driving it.

It’s just near Tullamarine so i can get an Airplane straight down too where the market is.

Has anyone ever bought their “What Price People Payed” magazine?

Or what price do you rekon they’d go for [tired].

Profile photo of GreenhornGreenhorn
    @greenhorn

I Bought a VS Commadore wagon (12th month 1995 model) 4 years ago from pickles auctions in Sydny for $14100 .

60000kms .ex telstra.

Back then retail 20 to $22k.

Great car for the first six months then;

1.New front shocks
    2.New head gasket
    3.4 x new disc rotors
    4.reco automatic gearbox
    5.power stearing leak(still topping up)
    6.shaking in stearing wheel over 100km/hr
    + all the normal fair wear & tear shit; new tyres ; brake pads ; belts ; servicing minor & major…….

I definately agree “BUYER BEWARE”

& if your going to buy from any auction take someone with you who knows what the hell they’re doing or

I’ve heard of companies that attend the auction on your behalf (for a fee of course)& even deliver to your door in Sydney anyway.

Best of luck
    Greenhorn
    ps.Thanks again for calculator…[thumbsupanim]

SPARX

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Hey Redwing…

Not to step on your toes, but i think you would be hard pressed, if not impossible, to find a car in oz that averages only 5000 km per year…

Yikes Greenhorn… thats a shite load of work for a car with so little km / years under its bonnet…

So how did u go Jaffasoft??? i hope u hav found a van for the price u wanted to pay, i guess the fact that u may need to sleep in it is an issue, but i would not go past a smallish hatchback. remove the rear seats, and u can get at least 400 kg in there, plus a low roof line, great for ladders etc…. (i hav a 99 festiva myself) and the stuff i hav loaded in the rear and on the roof will amaze ( i use it for all my reno / maintenence jobs)… and the bloody thing will not die… 102000 km in 4 years with only battery, tyres and front pads changed at 90 K..

And it still does 6 litres / 100 km on the freeway…

Good luck anyway,

Jason :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.