All Topics / Opinionated! / Channel 9 News

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

I don’t know if it was screened interstate, but yesterday on the channel 9 news here in Adelaide a reporter asked a question that takes the cake.

A woman had just lost 2 of her own children and 2 children sleeping over, in a house fire in North Tassie the previous nite. The reporter asked her “is it worse losing 2 children that are not your own?” or words to that effect. The poor woman feels she was just responsible for 4 young lives and she has to put up with this garbage.

I couldn’t believe my ears, what sorta damn question is this to ask a grieving mother?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this topic?

Any Comments Richmond?

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Absolutely terrible question… I’d love to know how experienced the journo in question was… someone with a few years under their belt wouldn’t ask it (I’d like to think) but someone who’s green and hasn’t done those types of stories mightn’t have the “smarts”.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

If the story is correct that is :

So is this shining light going to be let loose on other trauma cases Richmond ?

Is he going to keep his job ?

Is he going to be sent back to school to brush up on sensitivity ?

As it is likely that the story wasn’t live is the producer going to be sent to the doghouse as well for allowing such insensitivity to remain ?

It reminds me of a story when I was about 16.
    At work someone’s wife had just passed away so someone working with him who wanted to comfort him said : “well, you are going to find someone else aren’t you ?’

I am sure the person didn’t realise how insensitive the statement was and obviously ‘it just came out of his mouth’.

So much for putting a bit of thinking behind what one says.

Pisces

Participant
    @richmond

Hi,

Thought I’d do some research so I’m not just shooting from the lip (enough people around here do that [biggrin])…

I’ve just had a look at the interview, and the question (in my opinion) was in context. This is a transcript…

Mother: I’M HARD HIT I MEAN I’VE LOST TWO OF MY OWN, BUT I HAD TWO OTHER BABIES THAT BELONGED TO SOMEONE ELSE.. AND IT THINK THAT’LL TORMENT ME FOR THE REST OF ME LIFE..

Reporter: IS THAT WORSE THAN LOSING YOUR OWN?

Mother: YEAH BECAUSE I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM..

So, now we have the facts, I think the question was in context, because it came after the mother herself referred to the “other children”

Not quite as bad as it was first painted.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964
    Originally posted by richmond:

Absolutely terrible question… I’d love to know how experienced the journo in question was… someone with a few years under their belt wouldn’t ask it (I’d like to think) but someone who’s green and hasn’t done those types of stories mightn’t have the “smarts”.

Thanks for your reply Richmond.

I was just wondering if you may educate me a little about news reporting please?

Before the interview goes to air is it edited? If so by whom? I would have assumed that if it was edited the editor would be experienced and choose what does and what does not go to air? Or is it edited by the reporter himself or herself and put straight to air?

Why would this actually be put on the air?

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Participant
    @bear1964

Hi,

Thought I’d do some research so I’m not just shooting from the lip (enough people around here do that [biggrin])…

I’ve just had a look at the interview, and the question (in my opinion) was in context. This is a transcript…

Mother: I’M HARD HIT I MEAN I’VE LOST TWO OF MY OWN, BUT I HAD TWO OTHER BABIES THAT BELONGED TO SOMEONE ELSE.. AND IT THINK THAT’LL TORMENT ME FOR THE REST OF ME LIFE..

Reporter: IS THAT WORSE THAN LOSING YOUR OWN?

Mother: YEAH BECAUSE I WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM..

So, now we have the facts, I think the question was in context, because it came after the mother herself referred to the “other children”

Not quite as bad as it was first painted.

cheers
    r

I wish I had it on tape cos my memory serves me differntly then the transcrpt.

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Participant
    @richmond

You’re not suggesting I’m not telling the truth are you Bear? Hmmm?

Cheers
    r

Participant
    @bear1964

You’re not suggesting I’m not telling the truth are you Bear? Hmmm?

Cheers
    r

Not suggesting anything of the sort. Wondering IF we are even talking about the same interview by the same reporter. Maybe the transcript is edited, maybe my memory is worse then I thought ….LOL

Nothing personally directed at you Richmond

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Participant
    @richmond

If you saw it on 9, you would have seen the same interview that I just went and watched… what I watched wasn’t edited.

cheers
    r

Participant
    @bear1964

Ok, fair comment, so for some reason I took it worse then it really was. I must say it really pushed my buttons as did the poor kids stranded in Lake Alexandrina a week or so ago. Maybe its just the father in me.[tired]

Was any one elses buttons pressed by this story?

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Participant
    @bear1964

Personally I couldnt think of anything being worse then losing your own child. Equal to maybe, but not worse. I still believe it to be a silly question to ask a grieving mother in shock. To me its like asking whos kids were more important.

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.