All Topics / General Property / Granny flat conversion to increase cashflow!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Nathan BirchNathan Birch
    Participant
    @nathan-birch

Hey guys just wanted 2 let ya all know how my new IP is going as i said it had termites, it settled on monday. I had a good look at it and it is very liveable and it just bad in the floor so i have 2 replace the underlay, (slab construction.) i am thinking of turning the garage into a granny flat and renting it for $120 PW, (combined rental $320 pw on $250,000 spend) what are your thoughts on this??? if i do so, it wil be neutral cashflow property as it is in western sydney for $250,000 good buy with good capital.

any thoughts on construction costs???
    legality of non council approval/??
    Thoughts greatly appreciated.

thankyou Nathan B

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

<<legality of non council approval/??>>

A friennd of mine built a granny flat as a detached extension. Therefore its not supposed to have a kitchen and laundry. After council inspections he put them in got a tenant.

The other day he recieved a notice from council as they heard he has made it into a flat.

Now he is sort of in the pooh. Any advice for him?????

My advice, tread wearily.

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Hi Nathan,

very good investment and clever idea to rent out the garage as a unit but you must get Council approval – if you don’t, it will eventually backfire on you. If something happens to the person renting your garage, they can sue you for negligence and/or for not getting it approved.

It doesn’t seem like a good return but you got the other better half – that is the capital growth. On the construction side – if you have a building inspection already done, then a get a few quotes from different builders.

Kind Regards,
    George.

“If You never never ask, you’ll never never know”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.