All Topics / Finance / Interesting broker article

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/05/1081017107955.html

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

The chief of the Mortgage Industry Association of Australia, Phil Naylor, noted that 74 per cent of the consumers enlisted for the investigation were reasonably confident or very confident with the broker they dealt with.

Non-disclosure of fees represents only 5 per cent of the complaints made against mortgage brokers to the Credit Ombudsman Service, the service’s manager, Bernhard Ripperger, said.

>So you’ve got 3/4 of cusomers very happy with their broker, and less than 5% about the costs…

Seems to me as another media beat up. As for the examples – there are plenty of bad apples in every sector of our society (used car salesmen, etc).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Simon whats cookin, yes I know several brokers/companies that charge between $2,995.00 – $10,000.00 as a fee for service – new scam if you ask me … regards Phil

[email protected]

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

mortgage brokers charge fees to borrowers, residentialwealth? I didn;t know that- I thought they worked for credit providers, and got paid by them.

Simon, I remember seeing an article like that before. Would mortgage brokers be obliged to disclose to clients if they have a “special interest” in a particular bank or financial institution? Or is the deregulated nature of the industry such that no disclosure is legally enforceable?

The “late night visit” thing is not a bad thing, I reckon. Most property investors work for a living, so when else are we supposed to get it sorted? I guess in many industries, they might call that being “customer-focussed” or “flexible” to clients’ needs. I thought my mortgage broker was great on his late night sojourns. [king]

But as with any industry, clients have a right to know if they are being casually coerced into a product if the broker is receiving kickbacks.

A bit or regulation won’t kill that sector. I wonder what form it will take though.

kay henry

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I don’t think the kickbacks are as rife as the media portrays. I think it all started with a mjaor mortgage firm asking a leading bank to sponsor a conference. I doubt think individuals get much more than the normal rates.

I did get a coffee cup a year ago from a lender.

Sure some lenders pay more than others but they still often are the best choice regardless. I guess this is a difficult issue and one I don’t wish to attempt to justify.

If anyone is worried that a broker is putting them into the wrong product because of fees please email myself or one of the other guys on the forum and ask for a second opinion. I know I am always happy to help.

Cheers folks,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

Two-thirds of the brokers investigated claimed to offer independent or impartial mortgage advice even though their recommendations came from a limited pool of lenders.

that is exactly what my feel in this industry.

Julian [worried]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

I, like a lot of other brokers do NOT charge clients a fee for my service,
    The Bank pays a commission to me after settlement,
    I show my clients a commission disclosure form that clearly states the amount of commission paid by each lending institution,

The actions of a few bad apples should not be allowed to tarnish the whole Industry.
    Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au
    Ph:1800 820 500
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

@ffcomm

“Two-thirds of the brokers investigated claimed to offer independent or impartial mortgage advice even though their recommendations came from a limited pool of lenders.”

There are only 4 banks, and they are THE major lenders, so I am not surprised to see this comment, it’s kind of like there are two companies that make sugar, and someone saying that Supermarkets only buy from a limited number of sugar companies… Well Duh’.

Media beat up. Though it is slightly worrying about fees, but it would be better for the people ti check out a number of mortgage brokers to find one that suits their needs…

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Media beat up? There are heaps of shoky brokers out there, so maybe it is not entirely a beat up. But then again, I have never received an overseas trip! We do get pens and wine openers sometimes.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Stuart WemyssStuart Wemyss
    @stuart-wemyss

I agree with Julian. Brokers should not be allowed to use the words “independent” and “unbiased”.

The existence of different commission rates impaires perceived and actual independence.

That’s not to say that some (lets hope most) brokers act in the clients best interest.

Cheers

Stu

Profile photo of ShusharShushar
    @shushar

How much of it is laziness rather than a deliberate attempt at deceit?

With so many banks, so many products and gaining the necessary accreditation, I’m sure many mortgage brokers tend to have their favourites that they recommend to customers.

Don’t get me wrong – I have a great relationship with my mortgage broker and he is an integral part of my team.

Shushar

“All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” – Walt Disney

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Shushar,

I wouldn’t use the word laziness.

We all have our favourite products to suit certain situations.

I imagine like many things we use 20% of our lenders for 80% of our clients.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

“Media beat up”… well, it’s easy to use those words when we don;t like what we read. When we read that the location of our latest IP has had a CG of 30%, we don’t call it a media beat up…

I remember when Mortgage Brokers WERE independent. When they first became popular, they were paid equally by banks, so they just found the best deal for you.

I think it would be fine if an MB said “I’d recommend to you Bank Blah’s product, because it is blah percent cheaper than the others. However, I need to inform you that I get paid an extra $blah amount if you take up my recommendation and use their product.” That’s just normal disclosure- some clients would WANT the MB to get the extra kickback, because they would be pleased with the service. I don’t see anything wrong with that, per se.

But full disclosure should be mandatory or otherwise subject to complaint to the regulator/ombuds.

kay henry

@ffcomm

So you’ve got 75% of customers happy with their broker, and less than 5% of complaints are about costs…

“It’s easy to use those words when we don’t like what we read.”

What don’t I like about this article??? The fact that most people are happy?? The government wants to intervene?? Most complaints aren’t even on this problem???

Yet why write an article about this, if most complaints are not even focused on this area??? Why not write an article on the major reason for complaints?? O’h cause it is easier too… As I said before – Media Beat Up.

“But then again, I have never received an overseas trip!”

Become a loan Nazi – ‘No more loans for Your bank!!!!” You could get one then.. perhaps… Heres hoping ;->.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of GeronimoGeronimo
    @geronimo

Steven

What is wrong with brokers/originators charging a fee if there is value for money in the fee, and further services involved other than just sorting out a loan for the client? Services such as Mortgage reduction Monitoring, ongoing personal service, finance education on valuations, research etc

If the broker is just facilitating a loan through a bank then sure, the client should not be charged as commission is recieved from the banks.

One thing brokers cannot control is what happens to the client once they are ‘handed over’ to the bank after the loan is drawn down. You cannot guarentee then that they will recieve good service.

The question is, is there value for money in the fee, and can you get the same service and loan products elsewhere for free?

Brendon

Acute Mortgage Reductions
    ‘Better Finance for More Homes Sooner’
    http://www.acutemr.com.au
    [email protected]

@mobile-mortgage
    Originally posted by Geronimo:

Steven

What is wrong with brokers/originators charging a fee if there is value for money in the fee, and further services involved other than just sorting out a loan for the client? Services such as Mortgage reduction Monitoring, ongoing personal service, finance education on valuations, research etc

If the broker is just facilitating a loan through a bank then sure, the client should not be charged as commission is recieved from the banks.

One thing brokers cannot control is what happens to the client once they are ‘handed over’ to the bank after the loan is drawn down. You cannot guarentee then that they will recieve good service.

The question is, is there value for money in the fee, and can you get the same service and loan products elsewhere for free?

Brendon

‘Better Finance for More Homes Sooner’
    [email protected]

Hi Brendon, In answer to your question,,,
    Yes you can get the same service for free elsewhere, From myself and I presume the other Mortgage Brokers who regularly contribute to this forum,
    Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    Victoria

PLEASE note comments made should NOT be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice. Please seek professional, specific advice.

Profile photo of GeronimoGeronimo
    @geronimo

Thanks Steven

I’m impressed. How do you monitor the client’s mortgage after settlement or do you have your own loan products?

Also how do you achieve a maximised valuation for your client? I know a few brokers who have good relationships with bank’s panel valuers but even they struggle to get decent vals sometimes?

Thanks for your time as I am forever in search in excellent brokers to give me more options when applying for finance myself.

Brendon

[email protected]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Let us be clear about one thing i.e. that if you deal with a bank direct you, sure as anything, are only going to be offered their product.

Furthermore it is quite possible that you will be gently pushed into a particular product because that happens to be to the bank’s advantage.

In addition to this there are many other good reasons why it is to one’s advantage to deal via a broker.

Remember this however, for a normal type of loan proposition most brokers wouldn’t charge a fee to the borrower so from that point of view it pays to deal via a broker.

Simon said : ‘I did get a coffee cup a year ago from a lender.’

Gee, you did allright. [king]

One lender offered to take me out to lunch a year ago if I brought in a (big) loan we were discussing.

I did bring the loan to him but I am still waiting for the lunch. [grrr]

Pisces

@mobile-mortgage

Hi Brendon,
    No problems give me a call anytime, and I will be pleased to help you in anyway I can,
    Kind Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

[email protected]
    Victoria

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Stuart said : ‘I agree with Julian. Brokers should not be allowed to use the words “independent” and “unbiased”.’

The word ‘independent’ means in my book ‘not tied down to the one lender (or a small number of lenders if you like).

The word ‘unbiased’ has got nothing to do with
    being independent and merely means that the broker is using his best judgement in selecting the right kind of lender irrespective of whether or not some football tickets are being waved in front of his nose.

I am actually wrong there as a loan office working for a bank is under pressure to bring in particular type of loans (the ones which the bank thinks are the most profitable) and therefore not being independent (as in a loans officer employed by a bank) often means that the loans officer is likely to be biased.

In practice it comes down to the broker selecting (or suggesting) the lender whose criteria will fit the borrower’s circumstances.

Often the broker (or one of his clients) has experienced problems with the lender (who may be slow in giving an approval or hard to satisfy or slow to settle or who may have a myriad of other problems.

Anyone who thinks rates are everything better think again.

Generally there is very little between the mainstream lenders as far as rates are concerned.

I cannot speak for other brokers how they act as most of my loans are loans with a problem somewhere but my priority and sole aim is to match the borrower with a suitable lender at a reasonable rate (football tickets nothwithstanding (I have never received any).

I imagine that brokers who solely select a lender based on the brokerage they pay are few and far between.

The only exception I can think of is the NAB who until recently didn’t pay a brokerage fee to the broker (and since then have adopted a fee system which in my opinion is laughable).

Therefore a broker would likely be charging the borrower a fee in that case.

However, most brokers would instead channel any NAB loans through their subsidiary HomeSide (who do pay normal type of brokerage).

Pisces

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.