All Topics / General Property / MediaWatch report on Today Tonight and the MAP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Profile photo of SjsSjs
    @sjs

Did anyone else see MediaWatch on the ABC tonight and it’s coverage of Today Tonight and the MAP program?

There’s a transcript of the story here:

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s1081543.htm

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

No but very intersting reading there. It seems the Exec. Producer of TT may have hit the nail on the head.

Why didn’t Media Watch get in touch with all the MAP participants though. It is my understanding that there are a number of them who are well on their way (or beyond) $1m worth of property.

I will await the next installment of the MAP on TT with much anticipation!

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of OldtimerOldtimer
    Participant
    @oldtimer

I saw it. It didn’t show Steve or TDT in a very favourable light but par for the course with TDT & ACA type shows.

Controlling one million dollars worth of property is vastly different from owning one million dollars worth of property. This distinction seems to have been “spun” a bit.

From what I know of Steve he seems like a pretty legit type of guy but I can see his reputation going down the gurlgler if he gets much more publicity like this.

From the tone of the TDT producer’s response maybe the next MAP update will be a spin to make Steve look like some of the other Henry Kaye types floating around?

Profile photo of SalubriousSalubrious
    @salubrious

I to have had my fare share of run ins with the media. I even sta with an ex-4 corners reporter now working for channel nine (no names).

The information that I gave him came out the opposite when I watched his story on A Current Affair, its all bull. Look at how Media watch crusified TT for the story on the single mum! Then try and make stevo out to be a bad egg…….Im not into tit for tat crap and I reckon Stevo has the runs on the board and by the look of it a few good mates here.

Up theres![baaa]

“Dont be looking in your back yard for a four leaf clover when the opportunity of a lifetime could be knocking on your front door….”

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Oldtimer

If you’re correct and TT does take that line of approach I guess Steve has two options.

1. Keep going with the interviews on TT
    2. Refuse to be interviewed.

If it goes ahead as you stated, he will unfortunately be ‘damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t’

I hope that journalistic integrity holds up and the real truths are portrayed in any subsequent stories.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Just before this gets too out of hand, there’s more to the story than the people at Media Watch would have you believe.

I urge you to wait for The MAP to be completed in September 2004 before casting your vote. Until then, guessing what might happen is like estimating tomorrow’s top tempreture – it’s mostly speculation and no one will know for sure until tomorrow has come and gone.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Participant
    @oldtimer

Rugbyfan, I think you are right. Journalistic integrity and TDT would have to be an oxymoron though.

On another note it will be interesting to see how Rick Otton is portrayed on “Selling Success” tomorrow.

Being a Real Estate Guru is getting dangerous these days!

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Steve,

Good luck with it all – trust you can keep on smiling.

I guess this means you have really made it – on a crusaders hit list and now on media watch.

There is nothing left for you to achieve in life[biggrin] other than to help people successfully invest in property.

Derek
    [email protected]

Read my comments? Think I can help you? PM or email me.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

I remember when the MAP stuff was first shown. The idea was to make “property millionaires” in 1 year. That was then changed some months later to “controlling 1 million of property”- a VERY different concept. Elsewhere on here, in a topic which showed people being ripped off in two-tiered scams, the dominant theme by many, was about people taking individual responsibility.

Many of us would have seen the claims about making property millionaires in one year on TT. We have also had discussions on here about what that means- it means “net 1 million of property”, NOT controlling one million.

What usually happens after these media stories, is that the blame is attributed- false quotes, not what it seems etc etc.

When the story first came out, Steve surely would have asked TT to clarify about “controlling” wouldn;t he? They could have made an apology and all would have been well. Also, any person with knowledge of RE, would have known that “controlling” 1 mill of property involves putting a deposit on a house in sydney. So it wouldn’t have really been a story after all.

Who’s responsible for the “created impression” that “ordinary Australians”, in any circumstances of life, could become property milloinaires in 1 year?

kay henry

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

There is definitely a difference between controlling a mill bucks and actually having net one mill sure, but Steve can net the mill plus, so let’s see what the end of the program brings and get the results for all of the MAP guys. I have heard very different positive stories compared to those referred to in the Media Watch report – MAPpers are you out there? Let us know how you are going!! Share some of your success stories with us!!
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of imagodeiimagodei
    @imagodei

[cigar] While I never saw either of the programs in mention, it might be handy to use a principle taken from criminlogy when it comes to reporters.
    Simple ABC.
    Accept nothing
    Believe no one
    Confirm everything.
    Why don’t we want people to succeed in this country?

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

In response to Kay’s comment:

I remember when the MAP stuff was first shown. The idea was to make “property millionaires” in 1 year. That was then changed some months later to “controlling 1 million of property”- a VERY different concept.

Factually incorrect. From the Media Watch site which is a direct quote from the story:

Steve McKnight: The objective of the MAP is to control a million dollars worth of real estate within 12 months.
    – Channel 7, Today Tonight, 8 September 2003

This was, in fact, the first story about the MAP.

What usually happens after these media stories, is that the blame is attributed- false quotes (emphasis added by Steve), not what it seems etc etc.

Hmmm – it seems you are guilty of the same sin.

The MAP is what it was at the beginning, what it is now, and how it will finish up. Nothing else, nothing more, and nothing sinister. Ordinary people working hard to achieve a goal with mentoring help from me as needs be.

When the story first came out, Steve surely would have asked TT to clarify about “controlling” wouldn;t he?

Indeed he would… see the quote earlier where I stated the objective of The MAP.

We have also had discussions on here about what that means- it means “net 1 million of property”, NOT controlling one million.

Er, incorrect again. This, I presume was your definition. Who’s we?

Who’s responsible for the “created impression” that “ordinary Australians”, in any circumstances of life, could become property milloinaires in 1 year?

Well, with the exception of the ‘in any circumstances of life’, and on the basis that ‘property millionaire’ means someone who controls $1m in property, I don’t think that this is beyond the realms of possibility.

In fact, 4 people in the MAP have already achieved this goal (ie. acquired $1m in property in less than 12 months), it seems perfectly possible.

Still, a lesson I have learned from The MAP is that it is a possiblity open to all, but not all are open to the possibility.

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Who is saying we don’t want people to succeed, im a god? It’s called doing “due diligence” remember? We’re all told to check and clarify everything we do about RE. We’re told to take personal responsibility and check out claims etc. It’s quite natural to question things, and it keeps us safe. Are you suggesting we should believe everything we are told in RE?

kay henry

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Kay,

No, I’m ALL for questioning things to make sure they are as they seem.

And to be fair, The MAP was broadcast to the public and as such the public have a right to know how it ends up.

So,let’s wait and see what happens prior to sending someone’s reputation to the gas chamber without all the facts.

Bye

Steve McKnight

Participant
    @castledreamer

Thanks for clarifying Steve. I take a very cool approach to the TDT and similar shows. They always seem to sensationalise things, change context and generally have a good time with your sound bites if you don’t get them exactly right! In my very brief exposure to the media, I have been misquoted myself, and seen the same happen to friends, so I take a broad view of what the media presents. Of course people will question Steve’s claims, but at the very least they should question the actual claim, not the perceived claims or the partially correct recollection of the claim. Then at least we’ll all be on a level playing field and looking at the same thing to judge it fairly
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Keymaster
    @stevemcknight
    Originally posted by CastleDreamer:

…Of course people will question Steve’s claims, but at the very least they should question the actual claim, not the perceived claims or the partially correct recollection of the claim. Then at least we’ll all be on a level playing field and looking at the same thing to judge it fairly

Here here. That’s all I’m asking!

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Profile photo of JayJay
    @jay

Hi Steve,

I have a problem with this. You make a sensational claim, then you change the meaning of the phrase you use to suit the purposes of your spiel.

For instance, if I said someone was a Stockmarket millionaire, would it be fair to say most poele would assume that their net worth was 1 million plus? If I claimed I was responsible for that fortune, would that not make people think I was capable of extraordinary mentoring?

If I took a poll of every property investing forum in Australia, whats the chance that the majority of respondants would say “Property Millionaire” meant somebody that was a MILLIONAIRE from PROPERTY… rather than someone who controls property yet has 30k odd in equity…

Isnt this simply changing the rules to suit your purpose?

Participant
    @castledreamer

Whose rules? If the statement was explicit at the outset, how can someone else complain that it doesn’t make sense later? If a person makes a statement that is later twisted or altered in some respect by others, how is it their fault????????

CastleDreamer

Participant
    @oldtimer

I think the average Joe Blow watching TDT for the results will just perceive the whole thing very simply, ie

Did the MAP people make 1 million dollars out of the program in a year or did they not.

The controlling bit will all get lost in the wash imo.

Participant
    @castledreamer

That’s typical though. People hear something, recollect less than half of it, and then expound about the whole of it. Accuracy goes out the window, and the chinese whispers start. How big was that fish that your cousin’s, sisters, boyfriend caught????

CastleDreamer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.