All Topics / Opinionated! / Why is the ‘Tell Us What You Think’ Forum closed?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Why is the ‘Tell Us What You Think’ Forum closed?

Don’t want to know what people think about these forums anymore?

My comments were to be – the ‘Member’ level for posters is not only amusing, but downright misleading.

The number of posts is a very poor judge of expertise and frankly I find there’s a number of frequent posters who exhibit a very limited understanding of property investing.

I’ll be interested to see if the moderators choose to stifle this debate rather than foster self-improvement of the medium.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Go Acey!

I have long felt that part of my role was to curb enthusiastic well intentioned, but wrong, advice.

Please feel free to drop me an email if you see something that needs amending.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Acey

The reason the Forum ‘Tell us what you think?’ is closed is stated in the last post of that particular forum.

Maybe you could read that before you have a go at the moderators/administrators on this forum.

If you have a good look at these forum boards you can see there are a number of places you could post your topic of importance.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

The idea behind the stars is to encourage people to particpate through discussion. It is not an indication (necessarily) of skill or property investing ability.

Cheers,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of milkmanjrmilkmanjr
    @milkmanjr

The only thing that the number of posts made indicates, is the number of post made.
    It hasn’t neccesarily got anything to do with an individuals ability or experience in RE investing.
    There are other areas of the forum which are less serious, although each post cosnts the same.

J

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey
    Originally posted by milkmanjr:

The only thing that the number of posts made indicates, is the number of post made.

I’m quite aware of this, being a long-term forum user (not of this forum yet)…but are new people?

And PI seems to attract a lot of new people, vis Steve’s book & TV appearances.

New people may see ‘Junior Member’ and read ‘No idea’ or ‘Silver Member’ and read ‘more experienced investor’ etc

The terminology has to be careful to avoid sending the wrong message. (I have been dealing with usability in websites since ’96)

BTW I went back and looked in the ‘Tell us what you think?’ forum – when I go into it with the standard forum settings (view all posts in the last five days) – I see no posts at all, just a message that the forum is closed.

Now I didn’t think the first time I went in to change the dropdown to ‘view all posts’…why expect a new user of forums would know to do this :)

Please fix it – with a sticky post closing the forum at the top. This will ensure everyone sees the message.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Acey, are you worried about your own “junior member” status? You don’t need to- we all know you are incredibly experienced and knowledgeable about RE because you keep telling us.

Elsewhere, I made a suggestion that we could all lose our stars, as stars are just an arbitrary thing. Certainly, on here, most people (even newer people) don’t give a stuff how many stars people have- usually, people care more about the kinds of things people say. Misinformation is usually corrected by others who know, and any of us are still able to ask questions, no matter how many stars we have, aren’t we?

I disagree with many of the things people say on here- no matter how many stars they have, or what colour their nickname is, but that’s ok- many people disagree with what I say too.

Kill the stars or keep the stars, but it’s just a forum for people interested in property- doesn’t matter how many IP’s people have or how old they are. Some people might have no property whatsoever, but their contributions can be incredibly valid and thought-provoking.

kay henry

@milkmanjr

I have to agree with Kay,
    If you read enough posts you will hopefully form your own opinion. Many people in this forum have differing techniques and views on the whole game.

Acey,
    Your history at Somersoft does carry over to here for some people. Not everyone uses only the one forum.
    I do think that it sould have some merit to get rid of the post count altogether, as some people will take number of posts to reflect a level of investing knowledge.

J

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964
    Originally posted by kay henry:

Kill the stars or keep the stars, but it’s just a forum for people interested in property- doesn’t matter how many IP’s people have or how old they are. Some people might have no property whatsoever, but their contributions can be incredibly valid and thought-provoking.

kay henry

Kay I couldnt agree more, Infact I know of some one at present that owns no property at all, but has been investing for many years and has good knowledge of R/E, he has sold it all and invested it in other areas awaiting for the time to buy more property. Needless to say im keeping a quiet eye on him…….LOL

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

@milkmanjr

Bear,
    Let us know when he makes his move!!
    Any hints on who it is?

J

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Acey

Just to answer your original question, that forum, along with the others in the same group were closed when the new upgrade happened and all topics were archived. I am sure you could have found a more constructive way to suggest the changes you think would improve this forum by posting them in the forum about the website technicalities.

Your snide jibe at moderators is unfair, as being a moderator actually sucks!

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Perls: “I do my think and you do your thing. I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you are not in this world to live up to mine….

who cares about the stars really?
    who cares what someone else knows or doesnt know?
    we all have a brain, we have a mouth, Im sure you can make up your own mind without worrying what others say. No one forces you to read a post or a forum topic, or be on here.

I guess you make the choice…..and that includes what information you yourself disseminate or that which you choose not to. Maybe also on those lines remember that most people give info that they have freely, along with their time to do so, if they get it wrong send em a message maybe they themselves have been misled, after all even my accountant doesn’t have all the answers, nor my solicitor….there are experts in certain fields but not all!

Just because you may be one of them, I would bet you aren’t in all areas. theres bound to be something lacking…..somewhere?

Which reminds me of a businessman I once knew, thought he knew it all, multi millionaire, family the works, found the new age, sold up went off with some woman overseas, left wife and kids, squandered the money, sat in canyons with whoever, came home disenchanted…..to nothing, he wouldnt listen to anyone, he knew it all….ahh well, I guess he lost it all too…..I told him he had small man syndrome. Maybe in some ways its a bit like the tall poppy syndrome…someone is always envious, someone always willing to tear someone else to pieces…for what? who knows

We all have to learn, live and let live, or ces’t la vie! Me included LOL

elves

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Just wanted to say something useful this time but Kay beat me and said it for me.

I don’t ever look at people’s stars, they can be removed or left, or even replaced by little shiney easter eggs hehehe and I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

@kay-henry
    Originally posted by Celivia:

Kay beat me

[whip]

[whip] Take it back, Cel- I did not! [whip]

hehe- oops! [offtopic] Can’t have that! Quick- look serious! [hmm]

kay henry

Participant
    @celivia

oops… to it

Tooooo funny Kay!
    Yes I’m very seriously laughing MFAO (my fat… off).

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

Hey Acey

Why don’t you take the hint?

I think people on here are pretty happy with what is posted. [thumbsupanim]

Maybe we are not all gazillionaire somersoft forumites [baaa] but we like what we see and learn on here. If someone posts something in error, it is usually picked up by someone else and corrected without too much fuss.

Take a chill pill![cigar]

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’ [greedy]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Hey everyone,

I think there is no need to get too upset by what Acey has written. There are some very valid points there.

I am sure he meant nothing personal and as a moderator I take no offence at all at what he says – I welcome the opportunity of debate. Things can only get better if we keep our eyes and ears open.

Sure Acey can be a bit of a stirrer [rolleyesanim]. Don’t let him get to you team!

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    http://www.mortgagehunter.com.au
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @celivia

Oh oh better listen to Rugbyfan.
    Yes I’m happy with what’s posted, RF.
    Pretty happy bunch here on this forum.
    Except when you get beaten[whip][whip]
    Ouch Kay that hurt.

What else was I going to say?
    [baaa]
    My word.

Participant
    @celivia

Point taken, Simon.
    [biggrin]

@kay-henry
    Originally posted by Celivia:

Pretty happy … Except when you get beaten[whip][whip] Ouch Kay that hurt.

ummm… hello? It’s supposed to!

kay henry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.