All Topics / Help Needed! / Increase bedroom size or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Rags2RichesRags2Riches
    @rags2riches

Most of you would have looked at our little purchase, the unit is what I am enquiring about.

the bedroom is 2.1 x 3 metres in size, what i am thinking is that it would be a very easy job to just move a doorway and make the kitchen smaller and the bedroom bigger, would also have to move a wall, but hey, the wall has holes in it anyway so we do have to repair it.

My thinking on this is that if we turn it into a rental at the end, a couple would look at it right now and say hey, bedroom too small, can’t fit a double bed in there, therefore, halves the potential tenants we could get, what are your thoughts on this, my co investors (brothers) are saying, lets get it fixed and sell.

Hey, Steve, went to the library and asked them to hold the book when it comes in, got sick of waiting so bought it, nice to see you mention me on page 3. 8)

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

How big is the kitchen?
    Some people would place more importance in the kit. than the brm.
    6 of 1. 1/2 a dozen of the next.
    Probably better to offload and not have to make such decisions.

So many +CF properties in Western Australia.Let me help you. And we can achieve a win win situation.Russ.0438 659 411

Profile photo of Rags2RichesRags2Riches
    @rags2riches

The kitchen is at least twice that size, missus reckons you don’t need a big kitchen, all we would be doing is moving a wall 1 metre.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Definitely increase size of room. 3 x 3 would be minimum in my view.

Not sure whether this is 2nd bedroom. If you are renting out to 2 people (not involved), the second bedroom still needs to be big enough for someone to ‘retreat’.

As long as meals area sufficent and kitchen functional for use, minimal is better.

James

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

Hmmmm, obviously not many people do much cooking. [hmmm]

Its one of the first rooms a person sees when they enter a house or unit, thus it creates the first impression. Reducing its size in my view would take double off what you gain by increasing the bedroom. Since I don’t know the sizes of the other rooms it is hard for me to picture any particular way to help the situation.

Which thread has the link to the little unit you purchased?

Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

I think the bedrooms are more important than the kitchen, providing the kitchen is still nice to work in etc.
    Regards,
    Si

@rags2riches

The first room they come into is the Loungeroom, its huge, the whole unit is a converted garage, they walk into the loungeroom and then into the kitchen, one bedroom, small, needs work off course but I reckon increase size.

Brothers are worried that to increase and move the doorway, you have to make a hole in the brickwork, I don’t see a problem.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

Rags I just went thru a similar thing but with my own home.

As a woman who rarely cooks- I still beleive the thing that sells is in this order;

A good sized kitchen- the reason is that there is still a feeling of people wanting to entertain and to manage in a small kitchen is not good, feels claustraphoic.

A good bathroom- modern, room?

then number of bedrooms- though this can go with number one place. Depends if it is only available as one bedder.

I dont know the property, but I knew what I wanted in mine. I did a reno in a big way. I ripped out old kitchen, new one in thats modern and exciting. The kitchen alone will sell this house.

I ripped out old bathroom remodled it moved things around, looks massive now. Bathroom man said to amalgamate loo in the bathroom, I said no sep loo sells better!

I had the lounge wall moved about 18″ to 2’making it smaller lounge and rearranged furniture and decluttered. The builder laughed at me, said why bother moving the wall, I said just do it!

Changed arch to square doorway to bring it to current century!

Moved door frames, took out a linen closet and opened up the hallway. Moved a bedroom wall.

So for moving two main large walls and chopping off a 90 degree corner, I changed the whole aspect of the house. It made rooms look bigger, it gives me built ins in all three bedrooms, one stretching the whole wall. all for the sake of two walls moving between 6 inches in one room and 18′-2 foot in the lounge.

Anyway, best advice i can give you, do a plan, measure it out, get some graph paper and pencils and move walls around, see what you get. Then get a quote, now this doesnt cost you anything but time.

Of course to make a place look larger, clear clutter, buy smaller slim sleek furniture or hire it until you sell…LOL

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

@rags2riches

OK, did a rough floor plan of the unit

http://www.qsl.net/vk3hhh/house/unit/unit.xls

See what you guys think

Anyone know any better software to do this with?

@rags2riches

No one else using any sort of software[eh]

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

i have a 3d home architect program but never use it.

I think the shower is in a bad spot, what about in this case a thin long gallery kitchen? what about widening or opening the lounge kitchen?
    I cant remember plans I looked twice!

depends on what you want to spend will you keep it or not?

” a blind man may see what a sighted man may not”

@sizzling_duck

Is that wall for the ‘old door/new door’ part a load carrying part of the unit? If not why not open the space up a bit more and take advantage of the large open lounge area?

Take the area you wanted off the kitchen as planned but take a diagonal doorway for the bedroom accross to the top of the sliding robe.

That way the bedroom gains extra space and the kitchen will not feel as cramped. Plus clearing a large open entry area allows the area to feel ‘airy’.

@rags2riches

Can you mod the plan and show me what you mean?

Profile photo of TeacherK6TeacherK6
    @teacherk6

Ok i got a question to ask,

BTW i would prefer a larger bedroom to a kitchen, but now for my question on similar lines…

i have an older style 1 bedder, with an enclosed kitchen that leads off the loungeroom. the walls are all solid brick and its a top floor unit. wen i do my reno, i was thinking to lower the wall seperating the kitchen and loungeroom to around breakfast bar height, and re do the bench tops so it flows around, making the remaining wall the support for the eating area, and opening up the kitchen to the lounge…

is this hard to do??? what processes are to be done, if someone has dont something similar i would like to hear how easy / hard it was… the wall to be removed would be about 1.5 metres in lenght, the pillar opposite the doorway is the end of the other wall made of brick supporting the ceiling…

thanx ;)

Jason

@sizzling_duck
    Originally posted by Rags2Riches:

Can you mod the plan and show me what you mean?

the best I can do is to give you the coordinates and what I was suggesting to do.

Remove V37->AO37. This is now an open area (also means the back door isn’t going to be completely cluttered, could raise an issue if the door swings in to where the wall was originally).
    Diagonal build on bedroom door from U31->AD26.

I would seriously check on the wall area to be removed though to make sure it isn’t supposed to be there though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.