All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying away from where you live

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of nangunianangunia
    @nangunia

Hi everyone

When you buy an IP a long way from where you live what is the best way to find a good independent pest controller and building inspector?

Can you local solicitor still deal on your behalf?

If you buy and then visit the property say once ayear for inspection?holiday what can you claim as expenses on your tax return?

Regards Janet

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Hi nangunia,
    you can start with the local yellow pages for the area. Ask several of the agents in the area for a list of pest and building inspectors. Don’t necessarily go with the one that the selling agent recommends!!! (said a little tongue in cheek, but I aim to keep everything separate!) Once you have a list, contact them and get quotes. I ask them to provide me with a sample report so I can evaluate them for the depth of information they cover (this doens’t necessarily mean you will get a good inspector, but its a start). I also check that they have insurance (eg I had a place inspected, and the inspector didn’t notice that a heap of the garage had been eaten by termites!!! I noticed it later – it was that obvious – the inspectors insurance should provide cover for examples such as this, so that you can seek remedy for missed issues – like half a missing garage!!)

I deal on my own behalf. Use email, fax, phone. Always try to talk with the inspector directly after the report is done, receive copy in full by email or fax/post. I am also going to ask inspector to take lots of photos in support of report and email/CDcopy them to me.

Yes, if you buy and then visit the property once a year for inspection, you should be able to claim reasonable cost/expenses for the portion of your trip that was business – not for your skiing holiday in Queenstown!!!! (obviously your accountant will best advise on this – check with them before you go!)
    Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of nangunianangunia
    @nangunia

Thanks CastleDreamer that was a great help.

Kind regards Janet

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.