All Topics / General Property / NZ bubble is about to burst?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of viralkviralk
    @viralk

Hi! I have been doing search about NZ property market and am getting many negative remarks from the NZ media about the market is about to ease because of reduced migration, high interest rate and house prices outstripping income growth!!!

I am not here to discourage anyone but before I buy anything in NZ I just wants to know what other investors think about NZ market? It is too late now to buy? Please help.

Profile photo of honeyblondehoneyblonde
    @honeyblonde

Why buy OS when there is so much here and have the benefit of local knowledege.

Lots of +cf props NSW Country. Hard work is done. Nick 0414 274 495
    [email protected]

Profile photo of FatBoyFatBoy
    @fatboy

I have friends who just moved to New Zealand, and they are saying the same thing… [worried]

Like any market though, if you buy smart, you shouldn’t have to worry too much. I look more at longer term potential (say 5 to 20 yrs) rather than what will happen in the next 2 or 3 yrs… [wink2]

Cheers,
    Paul…

“I want to be rich, and stupidly happy – so far i’ve only managed to achieve the stupid part…”

Profile photo of DanTheManDanTheMan
    @dantheman

I have also been doing loads of research into the NZ market (and bought a couple), and what I have found is that the capital cities have just about had it, but the areas a couple hours out of the capital cities look set to boom. You can get rental yields of up to 12% and if NZ is anything like Aus was (which it usually seems to follow), these should boom soon.

A useful link you might want to check out is http://www.positivelygeared.com.au. They basically do all the due dilligence, and come back to you with a report, and you decide to buy or not.

Dan.

If you want an extraordinary life you have to be prepared to do things that ordinary people aren’t prepared to do.

Profile photo of Tasman PropertyTasman Property
    Participant
    @tasman-property

I like Dan’s thinking and agree totally. I’ve been here a couple of months now and was getting a little frustrated that every second property wasnt 20% cash on cash return (just joking, but you know what i mean!). But think about it… there’s few +CF deals left in Oz, its reasonable to predict that by the end of this year there will be few left in NZ as well.

Being here, and also at the last MAP meeting, I’ve realised that I cannot control the market, and was being too selective with my deals. By being slightly less picky I am now finding great deals with +CF (going back to some I passed over before) and as I see it, potential gains this year as the market keeps moving up.

You have to decide on the market and act with it. You cant go against the market.

I’m in the MAP, and can provide +CF deals in NZ for a fee. Email me for details.

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Tasman said –
    <<<<By being slightly less picky I am now finding great deals with +CF >>>>

I am a long term property investor – I am not going to be less picky. If something is showing a good return in this market – there must be some risk associated with it. Be it location, type of property or tenants etc.

I am sitting patiently for future ve+ when a market correction starts to take place.

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

[/quote] If something is showing a good return in this market – there must be some risk associated with it. Be it location, type of property or tenants etc.[/quote]

Yack, I disagree, capital growth has been an important part of my portfolio, but that does not mean that good return necessarily equals risk. You could buy a property in a “capital growth” area, based on research and stuff, but no guarantees. At least cf+ has some up front advantages, you know the building is sound, you know the rental being paid, you know how much you are going to spend. That’s not a bad thing or a risky thing, for a new investor or someone with different outlook to you, it is simply a different path to success.
    [smiling]

New Zealand may well come off the boil growth wise (and I don’t have an opinion either way), but for those purchasing o/s for cf+, the lack of booming growth is not a major issue.

CD

CastleDreamer

Profile photo of viralkviralk
    @viralk

Thank you guys, investors who have bought properties in NZ, can you please tell me whereabouts I should be looking to buy in NZ.

Regards,

Profile photo of muppetmuppet
    @muppet

Hi Viralk

Thank you guys, investors who have bought properties in NZ, can you please tell me whereabouts I should be looking to buy in NZ.

What are your goalS?
    CF or CG?
    How much do want to pay for a property?

I have both. CF are in the smaller towns and CG in the big cities.

There are many small towns in NZ of 3000 to 6000 people.

The main suburban cities are from north to south: Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, New Plymouth, Gisborne, Napier/Hastings, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin.
    Smaller cities being: Taupo, Rotorua, Whakatane Wanganui, Invercargill.

Use this web site which lists most houses for sale in NZ: http://www.realenz.co.nz

Regards

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

vindication for what I have been bleating on about for the last year:

“Provincial centres and rural areas outperformed the major centres.” Reuters News, 17. March 2004, ‘NZ property market picks up in February – REINZ’

It’s not too late, certainly not, however I am of the opinion that there *are* certain areas that are over-valued Now compared to a year ago. I would go as far as to say that it could be said to be true of all the areas mentioned above.

“Whangarei, Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, New Plymouth, Gisborne, Napier/Hastings, Palmerston North, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch, Dunedin.
    Smaller cities being: Taupo, Rotorua, Whakatane Wanganui, Invercargill.”

i would call all of these areas capital gain areas rather than cashflow positive areas, apart from one or two which used to be CF areas but prices have moved so the yields aren’t that good any more. maybe now only 10 percent.

and so the CG potential is not there so much, (talking short term only, because I believe NZ is 5 star plus for long term investing – you just can’t go wrong.!!) and neither is the CF. And i reckon you’ve got to have one or the other for a deal to be a good one when you buy it *now*.

I think the ripple effect as described here http://www.positivelygeared.com.au

has kind of already hit the regional towns as listed above, but the ‘rural’ or small towns within 50-100k of the above are where the hot spots of CF+ve still are, plus the CG which will occur as the ripple of the boom spreads.

So I would go as far as to say that today’s CF+ve high yield area is tomorrow’s CG area, simply for the factors outlined on the article on the weblink above – the cheapest house do a catch up, so they still stay cheap *compared to* the market as a whole, but CG occurs – because of the growth the rest of the market has had.

I would also go as far as to say that i believe that houses at the bottom third of the market will have proportionately higher growth than those at the middle and top, because every time growth happens, the ‘market’ looks at the price-range one below where they were previously looking, forcing demand ever downwards. more demand means CGs

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of SiboSibo
    Participant
    @sibo

I lived in Dunedin for 6 years and I think it provides prime investing. There is a captive market of tertiary students and 10% yields where by no means uncommon when I left. Overseas students where also prominent and willing to pay high rents for small, tidy apartments. Pre-furnishing them also helps to reap disproportionately high rents.
    Regards,
    Si

Profile photo of brentbrent
    Participant
    @brent
    Originally posted by viralk:

Regards,

Really depends what you’re after.. There’s still a lot of great deals out there. But a lot of wolves in sheeps clothing (pardon the pun) are out there being advertised to the ‘investor market’.

If you’re wanting ‘permanant’ pos CF for retirement – look at places and properties that you believe are unlikely to see you with excessive vacancies (the silent profit-killer of positive cashflow deals). Also, do your numbers – rates can be higher in NZ to Aus (I guess because populations tend to be lower and dispersed over so much more area)

You might consider the South Island (Dunedin, Southland, Otago etc.. Smaller ponds like Gore seem to be fished out at the moment though).. Some areas in the north are interesting too – most of these are mentioned on other forum posts.

Or you could be after short term cashflow plus capital gains… or long term Capital Gains full stop… or you know you need $100k p/a to retire, but only have $X much in savings, so you need low-cost, high yield rentals which give you an entry into the market…etc

I guess it comes down to what you want.. (Look up The Path of Least Resistance in From 0 to 130 Properties in 3.5 Years)

Brent Hodgson
    PropertyInvesting.com
    Admin Manager

I’m going on a property buying tour!

Want to receive the e-mail diary of my trip, hear about some of the great Positive Cashflow deals I find, and perhaps discover some great opportunities for yourself? e-mail or PM me!

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

a town not mentioned is Blenheim in the Marlborough region which is on the top of the south island and is the largest GRAPE growing region in the Southern hemisphere.
    Harvey Norman has just moved in and there is plenty happening with a good population and is known as the number one sunshine state of NZ … good hunting.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

i’d like to add the following

don’t believe everything you read in the media. Virak lets address your isssues you raise
    Firstly you mentioned reduced migration. Yes the population growth from immigration is less than last year but still more are arriving than leaving. Interesting i see lots of expatriates are returning to NZ, i’ve heard there are 1 million NZ’s living out of NZ (most in Bondi[biggrin]).
    Secondly you mentioned interest rates. Yes interest rates are as high as Australia the highest in the developed world. But will they be going higher or dropping ? the standard variable rate is 7.5% yet you can get finance at 7.2% fixed for 5 years. It doesn’t look like the banks are expecting rates to rise.
    Finally you mentioned house prices outstipping income growth. Yes that is true also. But remember we have had 5 years of this type of growth in OZ and NZ has risen only recently. i rember talking to a guy out the from of an estate agent in Timaru last year in July, he warned me the market was at the top. Luckily i didn’t listed to him. Also there is not one market. Auckland like Sydney and Melbourne is the biggest market but not the only one. many journalists forget that there is another world outside the city they live in.
    so in summary i’m living in NZ and i’m still buying, the deals are not there like 12 months ago but they are about.
    Finally Yack, unfortunatly your single approach to investing is having an adverse impact on your bank balance. Try giving up the preconceived ideas you have and take a look at the world outside Melbourne, there are incredible opportunities passing you by everyday.
    and the outer finally, Dantheman did i read that the group you are representing are charging 4,000 plus a deal ? wow that is very expensive i mean really really expensive

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

If reporters could accurately predict market trends, they wouldn’t be reporters.

We [US based] have researched and monitored the New Zealand market for several years and consider it undervalued in most regions/sectors.

Although we do not invest in SFH’s, similar principles apply when evaluating property for acquisition or development. If your due diligence indicates the investment is sound, then proceed accordingly, if not, move on to the next opportunity.

The terms [market] “boom” and “crash” are nothing more than media jargon from an investors perspective. No matter what the market dictates, there are always lucrative opportunities if you “think outside the box” and have a sound exit strategy.

— Michael

Participant
    @tasman-property

There’s also the Lord of the Rings aspect. yeah yeah you say, but think about how big this is… Suddenly New Zealand is the ‘hot’ destination for millions of Americans who are getting married here, moving here, having holidays here…

It’s suddenly on the radar and is being heavily promoted (have you seen the Air NZ planes with full LOTR themes painted on them?) across the world to generate more visitors.

And its perceived as a safe haven in this age of terrorism.

This can only be good.

John.

Yack – If I was still in Sydney I would probably be waiting for the bust as well. But in the MAP and in NZ – everything is all go. What I meant about being ‘less picky’ was that I was looking for the perfect investment, and in reality you have to settle for near perfect sometimes. [biggrin]

(I believe that later this year there will be no +CF deals left in NZ, so I’ve moved here to invest full time. I can find +CF deals for your NZ portfolio for a fee, just email me.)

Profile photo of digglerdiggler
    @diggler

(I believe that later this year there will be no +CF deals left in NZ)

This would have to be one of the naive statements I have seen in a while!!!

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Diggler

i didn’t make the comment but i’ll defend whoever did.
    last year in early January my brother made a similiar comment about the market in Victoria. I, who know more about property than him thought he was over reacting when he raced out and bought 7 homes in a matter of weeks. he was right it was the best thing he every did.
    I now live in NZ and the similarities to Australia are remarkable every week i see stock getting scarcer and the prices are rising also. In dunedin it is near impossible to buy properties showing 10% returns other markets are the same. I’m competing with buyers from Hong Kong and the UK who buy sight unseen and offer cash for the home. I wouldn’t be suprised if Tasman’s insight into the market is correct.

Tasman’s comment isn’t made out of niavity but a knowledge of what Tasman and i are seeing first hand in NZ.

regards westan

I find +ve cashflow deals in New Zealand which I sell to other investors. To be on my database send an e-mail to [email protected]

Participant
    @tasman-property

I disagree Diggler.

I base my view on:

My experience with +CF properties in Tasmania over the last few years (where prices have risen, reducing the yields in general). Now very hard to find +CF (but not impossible).

My first hand experience in NZ so far (where prices are rising and it’s all about being in the right place at the right time to get the best deals).

The level of overseas interest in NZ property from not only Australia (as seen on this forum, and the number of replies I am getting from people interested in NZ deals), but also the US and other countries.

Potential impact of Lord of the Rings movies as mentioned.

Benefits such as no stamp duty, no CGT, lower tax rates… these are attractive to any investor! Especially a NSW one who now faces two lots of stamp duty.

NZ is accessible from Australia (about the same as going to Tassie from Sydney). And people like the idea that they can invest here and get a tax deduction when they come to inspect their properties.

Whilst it may be a bold statement, and perhaps could be worded as ‘very few +CF deals’ or ‘by middle of next year’ instead – the intended message is the same – they’re getting scarcer.

I think now is a great time to invest in NZ, I’m just saying I doubt it will be as great for +CF investors next year. Make hay while the sun shines [biggrin].

John.

(I believe that later this year there will be no +CF deals left in NZ, so I’ve moved here to invest full time. I can find +CF deals for your NZ portfolio for a fee, just email me.)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.